[GS] Will Maori be the worst Civ whatsoever?

I don't think I've ever harvested 1 single resource in Civ 6, shouldn't really be in the game as I see it.

As for the Maori they seem like an excellent addition, but it's obvious that you'll need to be quick out of the blocks as most of their advantages are Ancient/Classical. Then consolidate in Medieval behind some strategically placed Pa's.

Yes, a civ can play differently and require a different strategy. And yes, the game will be different after the expansion. However, I think it's more sensible to argue in terms of whether or not the differences outweigh the cons as opposed to stuff like "I don't like gathering" or "I don't care about winning efficiently." I don't care about half those things either, but you can't just pretend it doesn't exist as game mechanics don't exist in a vacuum. I don't like warring that much either, but trying to describe the state in those terms is well, simply, has nothing to do with reality. Some things are in fact, useless, and actually slow you down and that has nothing to do with style. I build Ruhr Valley because I like the look and topping out cities. But in terms of the game itself, and not the rules I made up, it's garbage and my actual advice would be to never build it in 99% of cases. And I dislike the idea of saying that. Being useless is not a valid playstyle in terms of core design. (Poor Georgia)

The other thing is yea, well, in the end, many people DO complain about civs being too weak, even if they bring forth a unique playstyle. It is not like we don't have regular topics complaining about "X is too weak", but much less so about why.

It's much better to solve a problem before it starts, I think.

You know that if you don't reroll 20 times to get the perfect starting position for Magnus you're an heretic who doesn't play the game like Sid intended, right?

Sometimes it would be handy when reading someone's comment to know what sort of play style he/she prefers. I often read complaints here on these boards that make me wonder if we're all playing the same game. Like I build lots of industrial zones but apparently they are completely useless...

I have a feeling "chopping" is going to be devastating for climate change. Something I'd love to see, is if you chop too much in your city's area, your tiles start turning into desert.
Flat terrain without woods/rainforest is susceptible to drought now...and I'm sure there will be mechanics for turning productive tiles into deserts

I have a feeling "chopping" is going to be devastating for climate change. Something I'd love to see, is if you chop too much in your city's area, your tiles start turning into desert.

I'm sure it will, and for most "speed runners" so to speak I wouldn't be surprised if most of the effects hit after they've already won (I may be wrong though with talk of droughts).

As has been noted, a lot folks are very happy with a different Civ that has a very different playstyle but is not necessarily "balanced" against other civs.

Conversely, it's not wrong per se to complain a civ is unbalanced or consider it's effectiveness (see numerous elimination games as well). This is often referred to as a 'board game' and was initially pushed as a possible esport, though like 5 I think multiplayer balance and the like is probably going to be dependent on MODs.

I'm sure some civ - maybe this one - will end up being the Civ 6 equivalent to Venice - i.e. beloved by many single players, qualifying for a 'free reroll' in competitive multiplayer.

I don't harvest. It's anathema to everything that Civ has beat into me since I was a kid playing Civ III.

So I'm okay with no harvesting as long as they can chop... actually works really well with my general play style of conforming to what the terrain offers me.

So all civs in previous iterations of civ prior to civ 6 are bad, since they could not harvest resources???

From the first look I see a lot of bonuses
But I also see a short, scary line about Maori's unique ability,

resources cannot be harvested

Playing such a Civ must be a lot of fun. Magnus is no longer there, and every difficulty becomes triple.

You should challenge yourself. They have other bonuses to keep things interesting.

Flat terrain without woods/rainforest is susceptible to drought now...and I'm sure there will be mechanics for turning productive tiles into deserts

I read here somewhere that aqueducts will protect against drought. Not sure if that is actually confirmed though.

From the first look I see a lot of bonuses
But I also see a short, scary line about Maori's unique ability,

resources cannot be harvested

Playing such a Civ must be a lot of fun. Magnus is no longer there, and every difficulty becomes triple.

Lily you are too awesome, I love the way you think!

This is why I said after the reveal these guys are T2 at best but possibly T3 (especially if they buff the older civs alot). You cannot play optimal/efficient with these guys, BUT!

Hear me out:

If they can disembark off the ocean on turn 3 or 4, using that extra hammer production, and that seemingly OP warrior unit, can you not make a case that they are well designed to swallow the nearest neighbor? If you create a strong pain train with 40+ combat strength (47 on the vid inside that fort), I can imagine you can take your second neighbor as well! Now with 2 capitals taken, the game is easy enough in any direction.

I will say that a fast Deity peaceful science or culture victory is not likely with these guys, so if you want to do anything fast with these guys, war is mandatory.

I'm curious to see what you think because others did not say too much when I brought up earlier about how these guys are not capable of a fast culture win like Kongo can. I think I saw one poster bring up that these guys will not be able to rush certain wonders, which I agree with.

I don’t care if others think Maori are OP or suck. I’m still fizzing and can’t wait to start Kupe’s voyage in February and then try an play an environmentalist style. Until we play them in February we just won’t know how good they are.

Sometimes it would be handy when reading someone's comment to know what sort of play style he/she prefers. I often read complaints here on these boards that make me wonder if we're all playing the same game. Like I build lots of industrial zones but apparently they are completely useless...

They are certainly fine to build on Prince or King level, I build IZ's as well. Some of the Great Engineers I really like. I'm finding my Hansa's less useful on my Emperor game, however. But that is relative, because I am comparing to the AI who can build much faster than me despite my Hansa (which have decent adjacency, not as good as the game I did last week because I lacked space to put 4 cities in a square). But I have to build them, since I only have one victory condition enabled, and that requires me building lots of units. Chopping in a spaceport or theater squares is not an option.

Having limitations does not make a Civ the worse ever, when there are bonuses that make up and exceed it, which we clearly see here.

Agree, I wonder what does farmers are doing if not harvesting. On the other hand resources like copper and iron are finite IRL, those mines run out and one has to find new deposits. In that way it's doesn't make sense that mines last from the ancient/classical era all the way to the information era. I also wonder what is actually mined in those hills without resources...

The same thing what farmers harvest w/o wheat or rice.. cabbage..;)

Top Bottom