Will there actually be a Civ 7?

I actually like the tech web, even though it is a bit more complicated than classical tech trees. The techs are more advanced the further away you get from the center, but it's not really like in Civ, where the later units render earlier units obsolete. What you are unlocking is mostly new unit *types*. These are then upgraded as your affinity levels rise, and when you upgrade a unit type, all your existing units of that type gets upgraded for free. This means that even your basic infantry which you get at the very beginning of the game, will remain viable units in the late game. They have shortcomings when it comes to mobility and range, but in terms of pure combat strength, they can still fight.
I liked the idea of the web itself, but the goofy technobabble names made it so I didn't know what it was I was trying to research half the time.. Granted I didn't play enough hours in the game to get used to them, but it kept me from getting more invested.

Last edited:
I mean, uh, are we sure that the same people and resources are put in the Civilization VII dev cycle and Marvel superhero tactical rpg dev cycle? :p

Both XCOM 2 and Civ6 were released in 2016

I liked the idea of the web itself, but the goofy technobabble names made it so I didn't know what it was I was trying to research half the time.. Granted I didn't play enough hours in the game to get used to them, but it kept me from getting more invested.
Yeah, that's probably fair, although it would be hard to avoid technobabble entirely when inventing new techs for a sci-fi game, and it is probably never going to be as intuitive as a tech tree based on well known technological advancements from actual history. It could certainly have been clearer than it was, though. I have played a fair amount, and I still don't have that great a grasp of it myself. However, the Tech Web does come with a very handy search feature. What I sometimes do, is look at which resources are available, and go in to find which techs have benefits related to those. For example, if I have plenty of Xenomass, I can search for Xenomass in the web, and see that:
"Alien Sciences" lets me build wells to extract it
"Alien Genetics" increases science yield for Xenomass Wells
"Alien Domestication" increases the culture yield for Xenomass Wells
Another example would be searching for "Farm" to find that there are three techs which improve yields from farms. The Tech Web also has a filter feature, so you can easily see which techs are relevant for various things you may want to do. For example, you could see which techs give units, which techs give culture, which techs give you Purity points, which techs are part of a victory condition, and so on.

I think a lot of thought went into BE, and there are many nice details which you will notice as you play more. However, for many players, the game made a poor first impression and failed to hook them long enough to learn how the game really worked.

I mean, uh, are we sure that the same people and resources are put in the Civilization VII dev cycle and Marvel superhero tactical rpg dev cycle? :p

Well, co-Lead Dev of BE appears to be all about Midnight Suns -> https://twitter.com/wrmwrites

It's not uncommon in software engineering to shuffle around people when the need arises. Also people move around projects.
The other co-Lead of BE was on Civ VI dev team AFAIK.

Both XCOM 2 and Civ6 were released in 2016
I think the idea is that they probably want to give all the marketing budget to Midnight Suns, so until Midnight Suns is released and has had some shelf life post-release, it's unlikely that they will market Civ 7, because it's going to hoard all the hype.

I feel like XCOM was big enough on it's own that it probably didn't need to worry if it shared the hype train with Civ 6, and even then I'm not sure if they shared one (I don't remember)

"Releasing Midnight Sun this Fiscal year" what does it mean?
Take-Two Interactive, the parent company, reports its earnings in the US on a fiscal year, that doesn't exactly align with the calendar year, Jan-Dec. According to their web site, the 1st quarter of their fiscal year ended on 30 Jun 2022. I believe that means their fiscal year will end 30 Mar 2023.

Top Bottom