will wonders be exclusive just like previous civs?

rawrkitty

Chieftain
another odd question i thought i'd ask you all, for some reason i was under the (probally mistaken) impression that wonders would not be exclusive like they are in previous titles, i think i heard (or misheard) somone on a stream saying as such.

thanks (exclusive as in if one person builds the gene projecct then no one else can)

Yup! :thumbsup: There's still exclusive wonders as well as national wonders (ex. Spy Agency building) just like Civ 5.

I'm pretty sure they are exclusive (except for Headquarters and spy network which don't show up as wonders in the tech tree)
Also a virtue specifically boosts 'Great Wonders'

that's a little disheartening, a lot of my friends refuse to play civ5 MP because of that
too many people rely on wonders and then leave when they dont get it lol

that's a little disheartening, a lot of my friends refuse to play civ5 MP because of that
too many people rely on wonders and then leave when they dont get it lol

I think part of the fun with wonders is the chance that you get beaten to it, and the amount of gold the lost hammers converted to was pretty good as well. So you never wasted the turns you spent. However, I predict it will happen a lot fewer times in BE, because the paths players will take in the tech web will be much more varied. So you'll end up going for very different wonders, at least in the mid/late game.

Well there don't appear to be many game breaking early wonders (Stonehenge, Great library, Petra, ToA)

You find those game breaking? They're not that good - I certainly don't cry any tears about skipping them.

The Wonders seem way less powerful than those in Civ5, though maybe that's just because we don't know how to use them yet.

There won't really be a "race" to get Wonders because of the non-linear tech tree. If you want a particular wonder, the likelihood others will have researched the tech to get it will be a lot lower. So unless some of the Wonders turn out to be really broken, I doubt you'll see people doing Great Library rushes that they can't recover from.

I'm guessing that's also why they're less powerful, because there will be less competition for them.

You find those game breaking? They're not that good - I certainly don't cry any tears about skipping them.

Well game breaking in that they can have major effects on your strategy (ie almost guaranteed religion, solid research boost,etc.)

Well there don't appear to be many game breaking early wonders (Stonehenge, Great library, Petra, ToA)

I won't say any wonders in Civ 5 are game breaking. On the contrary - when you play on Deity you can not count on getting any wonder. But the game is still very possible to win.

I won't say any wonders in Civ 5 are game breaking. On the contrary - when you play on Deity you can not count on getting any wonder. But the game is still very possible to win.

Game breaking in terms of strategy breaking.

ie trying for it and failing is Really bad (because you need to get it early and it provides a major boost)

Game breaking in terms of strategy breaking.

ie trying for it and failing is Really bad (because you need to get it early and it provides a major boost)

Well, game breaking in my book means that if you get the wonder, you greatly increase your chance of winning, and no other strategy is as good as getting that particular wonder. I don't think any Civ V-wonder is near that description (except maybe Petra in some rare cases). However, the situation you describe is that your commitment to an early wonder is so big your strategy fail if you don't get it. In that case, the strategy itself is at fault, not the effect of said wonder.

Basically, if you play on deity (or even immortal), it's not smart to go for early wonders, not because the effect of any wonder is "game breaking", but rather the the effort is not worth the slim chance you might get it compared to what else you could do.

Well, game breaking in my book means that if you get the wonder, you greatly increase your chance of winning, and no other strategy is as good as getting that particular wonder. I don't think any Civ V-wonder is near that description (except maybe Petra in some rare cases). However, the situation you describe is that your commitment to an early wonder is so big your strategy fail if you don't get it. In that case, the strategy itself is at fault, not the effect of said wonder.

Basically, if you play on deity (or even immortal), it's not smart to go for early wonders, not because the effect of any wonder is "game breaking", but rather the the effort is not worth the slim chance you might get it compared to what else you could do.

That's because the wonders are valuable enough that people go for strategies based around them.

Its a bad idea in deity, and also in mp because of the low chance of getting it. But the Presence of those type of wonders (high risk high reward) early in the game encourages those strategies.. and hence those players that will ragequit.

None of the Early wonders in BE look like that.

The Gene Vault and the Exogenesis Pod look pretty solid, however the tech web will probably increase the chance of getting the early wonders evwn on higher difficulty levels (especially on leaf techs) if you want to go all in. It will be interesting to see how the AI early game priorities are.

A Wonder that isn't exclusive isn't a Wonder, it's just a building. The risk of building a Wonder is an inseparable element of its gameplay function. I find the Wonder mechanic irritating at times, but it's a fundamental part of what makes Civilization what it is.

A Wonder that isn't exclusive isn't a Wonder, it's just a building. The risk of building a Wonder is an inseparable element of its gameplay function. I find the Wonder mechanic irritating at times, but it's a fundamental part of what makes Civilization what it is.

Aye, im not crituqeing the system, just inquiring :p i have a large group of freinds who play civ5 with me and a good number of them leave whenever they lose a wonder they were working towards, lol

Quite honestly I would love a system that alerts you if you're losing in a wonder race. Nothing was more frustrating to me in Civilization 4 than losing several wonders by a couple turns to the AI.

Quite honestly I would love a system that alerts you if you're losing in a wonder race. Nothing was more frustrating to me in Civilization 4 than losing several wonders by a couple turns to the AI.

Many is the time in Civ V I was going to finish a wonder the very next turn and as soon as I hit the "next turn" button, BAM, the AI somewhere finished it first. :cry: :mad:

Top Bottom