Windows Taskbar & Explorer slow to load at start up

GenMarshall

High Elven ISB Capt & Ghost Agent
Night Haven, Vekta, United Systems of Korpulu
I am running a Windows XP pro and lately whenever I start my computer that my windows taskbar tends to lag the moment after the Windows jingle happens.

The Desktop picture is seen but no icons are seen. I can Control-Shift-Esc to bring up a task manager and launch programs from it. But Explorer (NOT IE) itself tends to lag on loading. The Taskbar (as well as the icons on the desktop and explorer) load up after about three-five minutes (where normaly it's up in an instant just after the Windows Jingle and Welcome Screen comes up.

Is there a way to fix this?

PS. Normaly I place my laptop on hibernate when not inuse. But from time to time would have to restart my laptop after a power outage or have to make a hardreboot.

go to run

type "msconfig" hit enter

go to services tab, press hide all microsoft.

look there if there are things you want running. otherwise uncheck them

go to the startup tab

see if those things you need right off the bat (or if you even ever use them at all) uncheck them.

hit okay, restart as prompted.

your computer should be good. if something doesn't work, recheck things.

you can also google the things you find there to see what they are

hope this helps

This may be an old bump, but it did not worked (Just happened not to long ago after I tripped the power cord and had to restart the laptop)

When's the last time you reformatted and reinstalled windows?

Windows slows down over time.. because it wasn't designed very well. I do a clean wipe every year. Think of it as an e-enema, if you wish.

Actually, don't.
Just recently and the problem is solved (Except the headache of reinstalling my favorate programs :crazyeye: )

Top Bottom