Windows XP 64-bit

1) There are some specific applications where you may be able to use more than 32GB of RAM. If you have a database thats, lets say 50GB, and you have 64GB of RAM, you can keep the entire db in memory, greatly increasing its speed. Its possible that some content creation may use up to and more than that, but that would be production on a commercial level -- think Pixar.

2) Other than that, I dont see too many applications of it. Even if you run a lot of VM's, and give each one 2 GB, you can still run 15 VM's ( 2GB to host OS) which is quite a few.

3) tl:dr -- for a home user, there is pretty much no benefit. As of now, even 16GB is quite a bit, although Im pretty sure I can find a use for that much.

-----
EDIT -- oh, forgot the most important. A bigger e-penis.

1) I was talking about for people not corporations however I failed to make that clear so thanks

2) what's the point of a Virtual Machine?

3) Yep, just like those people who want a tank to... "compensate"

To answer question 2 --
Lets say I develop a popular cross-platform application. I need to make sure it works on the last few releases of Windows, several popular Linux distro's, and OSX. Now, I cannot emulate OSX, so I have two machines -- one main x86 desktop, and a macbook with OSX. On my desktop, I can run a virtual machine that will, except for graphical ability, fairly accurately emulate a full desktop running a specific OS. So, instead of rebooting into the OS I want, I go and turn on a VM, test, make changes, test again. Very handy.

I might also be hosting a webserver on my pc. Since I do not want to dedicate hardware (costs, etc), I can just set up a VM that runs 24/7 on my desktop. Also pretty handy if you're on a tight budget.

I can also simply play around with other OS'

I know I have a Win 98 VM that I keep for old games -- Worms for the most part.

There isn't a point, even for gamers, of having more than 4 gigabytes of RAM. Maybe 6. Most of it will just be wasted potential. 2 gigs is still plenty, albeit 4 gigs does improve speed (by a few seconds with a better CPU, gfx card and windows 7, I've raced my comp against my room mate's)..

cmon youre just jealous :lol:

Nope.

Well, I've got 8GB, and while true, most games do not use more than that, other applications will happily take all they can. Photoshop, Premiere Pro and AE come to mind.

Top Bottom