[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the thread title be changed every three months according to the current season?
I believe we are currently already playing the final version of Civilization 6.

If civilization 6 development would end Firaxis will say so. If only because they will sell a civilization 6 complete/definitive edition.

Will the thread title be changed every three months according to the current season?
I believe we are currently already playing the final version of Civilization 6.

At this rate we may need to change the year as well. Eventually we'll get into Autumn 2022 update while we are still all here waiting for new from Firaxis. :lol:

I think it should be called the Cruel-Never Happening Rather Masochistic Update thread.

And making a case for that new name, when I said Firaxis was cruel in a post, that was the only recent reaction we got from someone at Firaxis (Kevin) and AspyrRyan, for that matter. Which makes my point really about this being absolutely cruel and exhibiting unacceptable civilized behavior as far as I can gather. The irony of it all: uncivilized. The question is: Will we stand the test of time under this cruel treatment? For me, and I am sad to say it, but others have mentioned, what ever comes will be anticlimactic, I think.

Moderator Action: We are going way off the rails! I understand the frustration and disappointment. However, this isn't going to help anything. You can speculate or we can close the thread and a new one will be opened when we get some actual news. Please do not make people coming in looking for news read all this stuff.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Moderator Action: Please refrain from Public Discussion of Moderators Actions, posts deleted. The best way to keep the thread open is to discuss the topic. Keep going other places, like discussing whether it stays open, will surely get it closed.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Reasonably certain any perceived delays have been caused by FXS having to sync up all the different versions across all platforms. That takes more time and effort than we give them credit for.

FXS have said they're not done with Civ6 and have dropped a few vague hints, but unless/until 2K gives them the go ahead to reveal anything to us, it's just going to be status quo.

I believe them when they say they're not done. I wish there was some exciting news to chew on, but I understand if their hands are tied by corporate decision-makers.

Best to just sit tight and not get our noses bent out of joint.

I think this would be reasonable advice if there weren't bugs affecting the current version of the game. As I've mentioned before, it hasn't displayed properly on my computer for about half a year now, and I've spent over $100 on it, so I feel pretty justified in feeling displeased with the status quo. At this point there's a real chance I wait to buy Civ VII until the complete edition comes out, and I couldn't have imagined saying that a year ago.

Reasonably certain any perceived delays have been caused by FXS having to sync up all the different versions across all platforms. That takes more time and effort than we give them credit for.

FXS have said they're not done with Civ6 and have dropped a few vague hints, but unless/until 2K gives them the go ahead to reveal anything to us, it's just going to be status quo.

I believe them when they say they're not done. I wish there was some exciting news to chew on, but I understand if their hands are tied by corporate decision-makers.

That seems like the more likely scenario, they already poured a lot of effort into the console version and expansion bundle, it would make sense to hold off most of their staff to make sure that is working as intended and then move for a simultaneous release, if they time it right they might even have an answer for Humankind in time.

for us that would be win/win because with a civ 6 xpack and a humankind release 2020 is loooking good, we'll just have to be patient.

I do wish they'd put out a hotfix for the worst bugs. I understand the (apparent) desire to keep all the platforms in sync, but 2K really should show some love to current owners and allow Firaxis and Aspyr to take care of the worst ones.

I do hold a small bit of hope that we'll see something this coming Tuesday.

I'm still wondering whether they would delay release dates to match with Humankind and try to disrupt the release of that game.

Especially if they were planning a long period without any Civ games.

Consider, one year without much Civ content, coinciding with the release and development of Humankind + DLC. This would encourage people to invest more time and money in that title.

By safely delaying the release of already developed Civ VI content now, they can later avoid a long period without updates to keep their customers happy and better handle the competition.

Companies like their monopolies. There's not much atm as far as historical 4x goes.

I'm still wondering whether they would delay release dates to match with Humankind and try to disrupt the release of that game.

Consider, one year without much Civ content, coinciding with the release and development of Humankind + DLC. This would encourage people to invest more time and money in that title.

By safely delaying the release of already developed Civ VI content now, they can later avoid a long period without updates to keep their customers happy and better handle the competition.

Companies like their monopolies. There's not much atm as far as historical 4x goes.
Eh, if they are planning on a civ hiatus why would they even care about humankind? I think people here care are obsessed with this angle a lot more than they are.

And we've circled back around, for the third time, to "the delay is because of syncing up the different console/pc/mac guys!"

Seriously, at this point just close the thread. The moderators keep trying to keep it on topic (which, I suppose, is their job), but there is literally nothing on topic to talk about.

So the whole thread is kind of pointless as an on-topic thread. There is nothing to discuss.

Moderator Action: Then skip posting here because your post is PDMA and contributes very little. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this would be reasonable advice if there weren't bugs affecting the current version of the game. As I've mentioned before, it hasn't displayed properly on my computer for about half a year now, and I've spent over $100 on it, so I feel pretty justified in feeling displeased with the status quo. At this point there's a real chance I wait to buy Civ VII until the complete edition comes out, and I couldn't have imagined saying that a year ago.
Same for me, but also it will have to be on sale at a minimum 75% off and this forum would have to lead me to believe it was a 100% finished product not 50% like this edition .
If 2K treated it's customers as anything other than ATM's then I might change my mind but as the CIIC (Chief idiot in charge) of 2K has forgotten the first two rules of customer service ( Rule One; The customer is always right. Rule Two when the customer is full of XXXX, see rule number one.) I hold out little hope for 2K getting any more of my money.
Up thread someone mentioned that 2K may be in financial trouble. If so and they have to auction of parts of their portfolio I hope Stardock wins Firaxis, as they keep customers informed and have an excellent AI programmer and are using the multi-thread capability of modern machines in their games, also they do not seem to go for mini DLC just expansions.

No one is obligated to read or post in this thread. You may abstain. And we all know that if anything is announced, this thread will be closed anyway and a new, specific thread will be created.
It's not a matter of "obligated to read or post in the thread", it's a matter that the poor moderators are giving out warning shots for going "off topic" when there is literally nothing on topic to discuss.

And I honestly can't fault them for doing it, but at the same time... I mean... what are we SUPPOSED to discuss? We have literally no information that hasn't been beaten into the ground a thousand times. We have no communication from Firaxis. There hasn't been any datamining in weeks (months if you exclude the random achievements that had no explanation).

This thread serves as a painful reminder that Civ6 is in a very weird place:

1) Civ6 is alive, but the Firaxis people don't feel like telling anyone about it... for nearly 6 months now.
1a) Civ6 is alive meaning it has a patch coming, which means it's at least being supported in some way.
1b) Civ6 is alive and there is a DLC cycle coming.
1c) Civ6 is alive and there is a 3rd expansion coming.
2) Civ6 is partially dead, will be patched, but...
2a) Civ6 will get the spin-off treatment as either a fantasy or Beyond Earth 2.
3) Civ6 is dead and...
3a) ...there is nothing in the hopper to talk about, which explains the complete radio silence to not kill interest in the other platforms.
3b) ...they are quietly working on Civ7, but it's at least a year from announce and no where NEAR ready to even drop teasers.

Media in general largely doesn't really work like that. It's not a zero sum equation - you can buy both Civ VI and Humankind (and likely a lot of people will). There's a ton of games in similar genres, especially with unique game mechanics. Games usually fail by their own merits, so to speak - i.e. the biggest threat to the Civilization is not Humankind but a poorly received entry in the Civ Series.

There's actually some argument the other way that expanding (good) options in the genre expands the interest in the genre in general, and benefits everyone. I.e. Both Humankind and Civ being successful ends up expanding interest in the historical 4x genre overall and benefiting both with cross-over sales.

I'm still wondering whether they would delay release dates to match with Humankind and try to disrupt the release of that game. ...

Nah! I really don't think, this is how it works.
Firaxis doesn't want to disrupt Amplitude with their game launches. This is not a struggle for supremacy, where one game company tries to destroy another.

If anything, Firaxis would want to lauch to a date as far as possible to Humankind's lauch in order to not suffer from reduced sales themselves due to the competition.
If anything! Because how could Firaxis time their own schedule based on a competitior's completely unknown strategy? Who knows, if Humankind isn't even postponed for some weeks or month?

Last edited:
It's not a matter of "obligated to read or post in the thread", it's a matter that the poor moderators are giving out warning shots for going "off topic" when there is literally nothing on topic to discuss.

And I honestly can't fault them for doing it, but at the same time... I mean... what are we SUPPOSED to discuss? We have literally no information that hasn't been beaten into the ground a thousand times. We have no communication from Firaxis. There hasn't been any datamining in weeks (months if you exclude the random achievements that had no explanation).

The overall radio silence is indeed unsettling, for me, I'm getting my speculation fix on the humankind thread.

Moderator Action: If you can find nothing to discuss, then please pass this thread by. From my perspective, there are people that still want to post here, so it is open. If you cannot find anything to discuss but insist on posting saying so, your post will be deleted and you will be banned from this thread. You leave me little choice in the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom