[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...oh. I must be misremembering then.

All this time I was convinced the 'we still have more coming' post-dated the Red Death thing. Not going to lie, that does put a bit of a dent in my personal third expansion hype.

I think people are missing one thing.

We won't have to wait much at all. Soon there will be a tweet because there must be one, and if that tweet makes no mention of any new content, then no new content will be coming any time soon. So either way we're getting an answer soon.

Edit: This logic is more flawed than emmental cheese...

Last edited:
Well, if they announce it at the turn of the year, we would be looking at a late March release, maybe a few weeks earlier since there's no major holidays to work around. Anything past mid-January is pushing into Q2.

...oh. I must be misremembering then.

All this time I was convinced the 'we still have more coming' post-dated the Red Death thing. Not going to lie, that does put a bit of a dent in my personal third expansion hype.

That has got me a little pessimistic too...but all we can do is wait! At least Imperator: Rome just got a big patch and free dlc.

I wasn't going to bring up my awful Twitter stalking habits but...

https://twitter.com/EdBeach23/status/1197591366047547392?s=19

This is Ed's tweet about console stuff from November 21. You can see a bunch of people responded by asking about another expansion or Civ VII. Ed only "liked" two responses: mine, where I asked "And then what?", and another person who said "moar civs".

I tend to think this supports the theory that something is in the works for Civ VI for some point in the future.

Gimme Maya already, I need another Science Powerplant

I tend to think this supports the theory that something is in the works for Civ VI for some point in the future.

Is the World Builder Advanced Mode out yet? I assumed it was still Basic and didn't even bother checking it.

Dennis Shirk:
"The team is still working very hard to polish WorldBuilder's Advanced Mode, which includes features we didn't even talk about today. Look forward to bigger and better city customisation options, scenario options and much more. Stay tuned for those updates in the coming months."

Yeah there's still plenty of circumstantial evidence. The biggest to me is, cynically speaking, they would not have gotten approval to dedicate this many hours to patches on a end of life product. Brave New World got what, one major patch, and then a smaller one like a year later?

The new Half Life game was just announced what two weeks ago? And that's slated for March 2020. I'd assume that needs a much bigger marketing tail (convince people to buy VR for Christmas!) than an expansion.

Yeah there's still plenty of circumstantial evidence. The biggest to me is, cynically speaking, they would not have gotten approval to dedicate this many hours to patches on a end of life product. Brave New World got what, one major patch, and then a smaller one like a year later?

The new Half Life game was just announced what two weeks ago? And that's slated for March 2020. I'd assume that needs a much bigger marketing tail (convince people to buy VR for Christmas!) than an expansion.

Yeah, the surprisingly robust patch support through the fall and apparently continuing, if SteamDB is any indication, is an indication that they have the intention of gaining more revenue from all platforms.

And then there's the notable absence of a certain number of series regular civs, and that if they stopped now, they would actually have fewer civs than the previous iteration for the first time in the series.

And the HoF is arranged in such a way that you could add 9 leaders to make a nice rectangle.

And they called the content package after the second expansion Platinum Edition rather than Complete Edition like they have always done before.

That's the kicker for me: if it is effectively the Complete package, why not call it so? Especially when you see people saying 'I'm thinking of getting the game but I'm confused as to whether I should wait for more content'.

on the humankind thread there is a discussion about one leader AKA "great man" leading a civ for eternity and how that is limiting and leading to various problems. Could the devs not make a new leader and civ abilities for each era? you dont necessarily need to change the animations or leader name , just change the abilities according to what happened or what you want to or need to focus in this era or even according to what you select as era bonus. would make the game a lot more dynamic

I wasn't going to bring up my awful Twitter stalking habits but...

https://twitter.com/EdBeach23/status/1197591366047547392?s=19

This is Ed's tweet about console stuff from November 21. You can see a bunch of people responded by asking about another expansion or Civ VII. Ed only "liked" two responses: mine, where I asked "And then what?", and another person who said "moar civs".

I had a look at that again just now. I note that quite a few people were asking for/mentioning another expansion and he didn't like those posts (unsurprisingly, since that would be giving the game away if we are getting one, or be misleading if we weren't). But it seems unlikely he would like a post saying 'moar Civs' if there were indeed to be no more Civs added!

on the humankind thread there is a discussion about one leader AKA "great man" leading a civ for eternity and how that is limiting and leading to various problems. Could the devs not make a new leader and civ abilities for each era? you dont necessarily need to change the animations or leader name , just change the abilities according to what happened or what you want to or need to focus in this era or even according to what you select as era bonus. would make the game a lot more dynamic

The problem is that not all civilizations existed from dawn of time and not all lived to today so there would be holes in what the bonus should be in what era. What would you give to Industrial Gilgamesh? What would you give to Ancient Roosevelt?

Also this would make the game further less casual and more micro-managment heavy as you would need to time the usage of the bonus well like with Golden Age bonus. Also it doesn't matter you don't have to make separate leaders, there's still a lot of programming and design involved. This would lead to much much much smaller amount of civs represented.

Also balance around early game powerspike, midgame powerspike and lategame powerspike is normally used by many games, the problem always is it usually swings between "Early so powerful you winbefore lategame" or "Early game stallable and/or lategame so fast there's no actual trade-off for lategame". Even in League of Legends, it always feels that either Assassins snowball too hard and there's no lategame or earlygame is safe, turrets are durable and sustain is strong and you can easily stall and powerfarm until you dominate as late-game champ.

I had a look at that again just now. I note that quite a few people were asking for/mentioning another expansion and he didn't like those posts (unsurprisingly, since that would be giving the game away if we are getting one, or be misleading if we weren't). But it seems unlikely he would like a post saying 'moar Civs' if there were indeed to be no more Civs added!

I think we'll be getting DLC, not an expansion. That would give us "moar Civs" as well as some wonders. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I'm just not sure there's enough for a full expansion.

I think they definitely could do another full expansion, but if it's DLC/a Civ pack instead, that would also explain why the timing doesn't fit with the previous two expansions.

Can't really see them doing new civ or leader dlc at this point since their potential pool of customers would likely be limited to owners of GS.

What I mean is that new civs will likely be programmed with components introduced in the expansions (not necessarily a focus on loyalty or natural disasters or whatever, but the stuff under the hood like new modifiers and requirements). Therefore the dlc would ostensibly require GS. Probably wouldn't go over well with player reviews and as I said would cut their potential profit.

Expansions however include all the nuts and bolts of the previous entries so they can be purchased standalone.

Can't really see them doing new civ or leader dlc at this point since their potential pool of customers would likely be limited to owners of GS.

What I mean is that new civs will likely be programmed with components introduced in the expansions (not necessarily a focus on loyalty or natural disasters or whatever, but the stuff under the hood like new modifiers and requirements). Therefore the dlc would ostensibly require GS. Probably wouldn't go over well with player reviews and as I said would cut their potential profit.

Expansions however include all the nuts and bolts of the previous entries so they can be purchased standalone.
Indeed; historically this is why we haven't seen any new leaders added outside of expansions once the first expansion has come out. And it's one of the reasons why I still favour a third expansion.

Really the biggest argument against the appearance of a third expansion at this point is that it hasn't been announced or hinted at yet.

I would rather competitive AI rather than another expansion TBH, i've never once saw the AI win a Culture victory in all my games at Immortal and Deity.

I don't think base game DLC would earn less money or get poor reviews. It all depends on the idea and content.
The Maya can be a science civ without Campuses (all science from holy sites, projects, and jungle titles for example). It would still be fun with all the expansions or without them.
Besides vanilla Civilization is still the most popular one and has the largest player base. Last but not least the new expansion at this point could be a little bit overwhelming for new console players. A small content bite like DLC with a new civilization is a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom