1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] 3rd Unique Component Project

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by mrc2022, Jul 29, 2013.

1. meowschwitz

meowschwitz Warlord

I think that that unique promotion might be a little much. getting rid of one of the last two would be a bit better.

2. bc1

bc1

For information, please note that "Enhanced User Interface" is designed to work with mods such as this one which add more civ uniques than the base game's UI can handle.
    In addition to being able to display the extra civ unique icons during game setup, it also provides mouse over tooltips and allows icon right click to pedia: it becomes easy to get information about changes made by the mod and make informed civ choices before launching the game.
    Cheers
    PS: this post is just to let you know. In case of comments / bugs with this EUI functionality, please use EUI's thread (link in my sig)

3. mrc2022

mrc2022 Capitão Rolinho

Yeah, it's overpowered. I'll just keep the no move to pillage.

@bc1
    Good to know, thanks

4. Wodhann

Wodhann South American Norse God

Hey there, I'm brazillian and have some feedback on the Sambadrome.

I think it's a bit too early in history to replace Sambadromes with Opera Houses - Sambadromes are fairly modern and frankly I don't think it's very flattering for us to not have Opera Houses (especially considering Pedro liked opera and considering Il Guarany came from here). EDIT: The main issue here is the huge anachronism though.

Furthermore, Sambadromes IRL are only really useful in the Carnaval which would make it a great Golden Age related building. Not something that makes them more frequent or longer, but something that makes Golden Ages even better for Brazil.

My suggestion: Replace it with Stadium (yeah I know, this is the country of soccer and all, but you can't have everything - that or replace Hotel, which would be weird). Make it a Happiness / Tourism thing that is better with Golden Ages.

5. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

The problem is, the Stadium comes very late as unique feature. Way too late - also I don't think it'd be very flattering to you to not have Stadium (especially considering you are the country of soccer)

;)

Sorry, gameplay balance vs. realism. This is also why Zulu Impi come as Pikemen (spearmen would be way to early, despite realistic) and so on.

6. Wodhann

I don't personally think soccer > high culture to be honest. But of course, I'm not like most people here.

About it being too late, would you say America/German/Japan's Atomic Era units are also too late? Consider Brasil is a late game civ (as all tourism civs are) and Sambadrome could have its benefits raised to compensate the fact that it would come late. I mean you could argue Pracinhas are too late too.

EDIT: To be honest, if you were to marry flavor and gameplay, the ideal, though anachronic, would be an Industrial Era building - Alas there are no suitable replacements in this era...

7. meowschwitz

meowschwitz Warlord

I think that you should keep the first and bump it to 15 as not to step on the one thing denmark does really well.

8. Wodhann

Just a suggestion for Sambadrome, as a replacement for Stadium as I suggested:

Sambadrome
    +2 :c5happy: (Cannot provide more :c5happy: than there is :c5citizen: in a city )
    + 1 :c5happy: during Golden Ages
    During Golden Ages, each :c5citizen: in this city produces 1 :tourism: (doesn't count with the Carnival bonus).

The idea is that during Carnaval citizens dress up and go out in parades which makes them attractions themselves.

The +1 Happiness sort of represents the fun they have, but could of course be removed for balance sake.

9. bane_

bane_ Howardianism High-Priest

I like your new Sambadrome but I find it a bit ridiculous to say it's 'not flattering'.
    While the soccer thing would make more sense, this is way more in line with Pedro's gameplay.

10. Wodhann

It's replacing a building that represents a center of sophisticated culture in a civ to what's basically a horizontal stadium where people parade in once a year. This is why I think Stadium is a much better choice.

Also agreed with being more in line with Pedro, definately.

11. bane_

I understand but don't believe the reasons for dismissal are valid. "Only once a year", "basically a horizonal stadium" or "not flattering" aren't good arguments against the Sambódromo. The fact people know it and the fact it correlates directly to Brazil's gameplay (we don't have Golden Ages, but 'CARNIVAL!') are valid reasons to get it in.

Should it be in place of the Opera House? I don't know, frankly I don't even want to check it right now, but if that's the only reasonable building for the timeframe, it should be replaced.

This is only my opinion, there is 12 pages of people talking in this thread and this is the first time I comment, so I may be terrible wrong about how are they basing their choices, so take it all with a handful of salt.

12. Wodhann

I'm not arguing against the Sambodrome itself by the way (maybe I would, if I could think of a better choice). Just against the particular replacement.

Are you also brazillian by the way? I noticed you spelled "sambódromo", in portuguese.

13. bane_

Sim, nascido e criado em Florianópolis. :)

14. mrc2022

mrc2022 Capitão Rolinho

If I were to edit the Sambadrome would be to switch the unique and change focus to another area.
    However, although I do like this Sambadrome better, how about coming up with different suggestions for Brazil.
    Then after some evaluation we'll consider what's best.
    If the best call is not to replace Sambadrome but instead edit it then I would go with something like this, perhaps with a change or two...

15. Wodhann

I can't think of a different unique building (and I think brazil's game style doesn't require another unit). With Brasil's carnaval theme I think sambadrome may actually be a good choice.

But I still stand that it should replace stadium, and not opera house. If timing is an issue, it could just be buffed - the whole game style with brazil is to start ramping up and becoming an unstoppable tourism machine at late game anyway.

16. Skaz881

Skaz881 History Major

I just found this thread and I LOVE the idea! I can't wait to see what you come up with for the last four civs! SushiSquid on Steam has a similar idea of replacing one of the UU's in civs with two UU's with a UB instead. Once you are done, will you extend this to modded civs?

17. mrc2022

mrc2022 Capitão Rolinho

Thanks! Well after finishing all the civs I'll launch this into Steam's Workshop.
    Well I have some civ modpacks that I would like to extend this project to ,but that is still far in my goals list, first I'll launch a series of add-ons ;)

18. Skaz881

Skaz881 History Major

Speaking of add ons I tried the Redcoat but it didn't work................

19. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

mrc2022, how is progress going? ;)

20. mrc2022

mrc2022 Capitão Rolinho

It was updated recently it should be working. No problems in my tests so far

I've a busy week ahead of me. I expect the Huns' Hunlun Hunlu to come up shortly, and will try to launch a preliminary version of China's Junk Ship and Siam's Sala. All this by next sunday (hopefully)

Also 2nd post has been updated and I've got an idea to update Brazil's Sambadrome. As soon as I get the concept complete I'll share it with you.

As of now I'm launching Indonesia's Cetbang Warship, Russia's Streltsy and Zulu's Kraal. Happy gaming ;)