[WIP] Fallout Civs

Awesome! Take your time, because, as my current user title implies, my keyboard has broken and I won't be getting a replacement until Wednesday at the latest. So, I can't do any real work for now (though I can and am using onscreen keyboard, but it's a real pain).

However, all this free time let me come up with a tiny but unique addition to the NCR UA:

Gold-providing Buildings grant +5 EXP to newly-trained units in the city in which they're built, and reduce the :c5gold: cost of buying tiles in that city by 10%. +1 Sight for Caravans.

Theoretically it can even be done in XML, so it won't require additional lua or delays! It's also got me thinking of other UA names, so I made a strawpoll with a few I came up with.

No problem! I'll be focused on getting my Wily civ finished up this week, but I've already started brainstorming how to do some of the Lua. Most of it should be fairly straightforwards.

Do you have a dummy building for the UA effect already? The XP part is simple enough to do various ways, but I haven't really done anything that manipulated the cost to buy tiles. I know there's the one Wonder that does that (Angkor Wat?), but I couldn't remember if it was an empire-wide effect or a local one.

No problem! I'll be focused on getting my Wily civ finished up this week, but I've already started brainstorming how to do some of the Lua. Most of it should be fairly straightforwards.

Do you have a dummy building for the UA effect already? The XP part is simple enough to do various ways, but I haven't really done anything that manipulated the cost to buy tiles. I know there's the one Wonder that does that (Angkor Wat?), but I couldn't remember if it was an empire-wide effect or a local one.
Yeah, BUILDING_NCRGOLD. And the Krepost has that local effect, so we're kosher on that front. And if you need any help with Wily, let me know.

I'll keep it in mind, but I already have most themes planned out and prefer to use tracks from the actual games.

So, good news and bad news. Good news is, I got my new keyboard, so I can get back to proper work on the mod! The bad news, is I tested the +1 Sight on Caravans bit of the UA, and it doesn't work. Well, the Caravan itself, just sitting there and not assigned to a trade route gains the sight, but loses it all when sent out on a trade route. Probably hardcoded, which is a crying shame.

Maybe replace it with another unit? As in additional unique?

I'm pretty sure in the base game, when a Caravan or Cargo Ship ventures out into the fog of war, it is no longer visible. So giving it +1 sight when it doesn't get sight to begin with might not do anything.

So, while getting accustomed to my new keyboard, I went and did the pedia entries for all the unique units/buildings. All I need pedia-wise now are the Civ and Leader entries for the NCR and Caesar's Legion, though if there are no takers, I can do them myself.

Speaking of getting accustomed to my new keyboard, I put some more thought into some more potential future civs. More specifically, a suggested civ I initially didn't want to do, a civ that got its start in MartinLuther's spreadsheet, and another big ol' blob civ designed to wreak havoc in the hands of the AI. Of course, if I do any of these, they're going to the back of the queue (probably even behind my planned non-Fallout civs):

The Pitt (Ashur)
Start Bias: Plains
Capital: The Pitt
UA: ??? (I used perk and quest names from Honest Hearts for the Zion civ, but there really weren't any good ones in The Pitt)
May not build Settlers. Receive +2 :c5gold: Gold, +1 :c5production: Production, and +1 :c5culture: Culture in the Capital City for every foreign city it is connected to by Road or Railroad. Pay no :c5gold: maintenance on Roads.
UU: Slaver (Replaces Rifleman)
Replaces Rifleman. May enter enemy territory without Open Borders, and can build Roads, Railroads, and Steelyards. Does not go obsolete.
UI: Steelyard
Requires the Steel technology, and may only be built on flat land or sources of Iron. Yields +1 Production, increased by +1 if built on Iron and with the discovery of Industrialization.
Basically an Autocratic, slave-driving Venice. The more "civilized" companion to the Raiders civilization, detailed further below.

The Unity (The Master)
Start Bias: Avoid Tundra
Capital: Mariposa
UA: Acolytes Of The New God
All land-based military units are replaced with Super Mutants, and are slightly stronger than the units they replace. Defeated enemy units may become Workers, which can be upgraded into military units.
UU: Nightkin (Replaces Longswordsman? Rifleman? Cavalry? IDK)
Is Invisible, but becomes visible for 1 turn upon attacking.
UB: FEV Vats
Replaces Barracks. Newly-trained melee units gain a random, unique promotion upon completing their first round of combat. Captured or gifted non-Super Mutant land units will become Mutants if they end their turn in this city.
Think of it like The Pridelands on steroids Forced Evolutionary Virus. The creation of this civ hinges entirely on me being able to acquire Super Mutant models.

Raiders (Death-Hand [Default])
Start Bias: Desert
Capital: Red Rock Canyon
UA: ???
Upon entering a new Era, a Tribe may fight the incumbent leader of the Raiders for control of the civ. If the challenging Tribe wins, the Raiders receive a new leader with an upgraded Unique Unit. If the defending leader wins, the Raiders enter a Golden Age.
UU: Khan Warrior (Replaces Warrior)
Default UU for the Raiders, replacing the Warrior. Cheaper to build, may enter enemy territory without Open Borders, and for every turn spent in the territory of another civilization, has a chance to become a Barbarian. These attributes are shared with all other potential Raider UUs.
UB: Drug Lab
Yields less :c5food: Food than the Hospital it replaces. Provides a copy of the unique Chems luxury resource, and newly-trained infantry units in this city may choose the unique Psycho (15% Attack Bonus), Med-X (15% Defense Bonus), or Jet (+1 :c5moves: Movement) Promotions.
Essentially a land-lubbing, post-apocalyptic Buccaneers. Blobbed to hell and back because...I dunno. Rest assured, I actually came up with the UA a while ago, before the Xia came out with their fancy-pants Dynasties. Either way, the details on the UUs and Leaders are listed in the spoiler below.
Spoiler :
UU 2: White Leg (Replaces Swordsman)
Leader 2: Salt-Upon-Wounds
UU 3: Viper (Replaces Pikeman)
Leader 3: Jonathan Faust
UU 4: Powder Ganger (Replaces Musketman)
Leader 4: Eddie
UU 5: New Khan (Replaces Rifleman)
Leader 5: Darion
UU 6: Fiend (Replaces Great War Infantry)
Leader 6: Motor-Runner
UU 7: Great Khan (Replaces Infantry)
Leader 7: Papa Khan
UU 8: Talon Company (Replaces Mechanized Infantry)
Leader 8: Commander Jabsco

Any thoughts on these designs? And any takers for the NCR and Legion pedias?

So, while getting accustomed to my new keyboard, I went and did the pedia entries for all the unique units/buildings. All I need pedia-wise now are the Civ and Leader entries for the NCR and Caesar's Legion, though if there are no takers, I can do them myself.

Speaking of getting accustomed to my new keyboard, I put some more thought into some more potential future civs. More specifically, a suggested civ I initially didn't want to do, a civ that got its start in MartinLuther's spreadsheet, and another big ol' blob civ designed to wreak havoc in the hands of the AI. Of course, if I do any of these, they're going to the back of the queue (probably even behind my planned non-Fallout civs):

The Pitt (Ashur)
Start Bias: Plains
Capital: The Pitt
UA: ??? (I used perk and quest names from Honest Hearts for the Zion civ, but there really weren't any good ones in The Pitt)
May not build Settlers. Receive +2 :c5gold: Gold, +1 :c5production: Production, and +1 :c5culture: Culture in the Capital City for every foreign city it is connected to by Road or Railroad. Pay no :c5gold: maintenance on Roads.
UU: Slaver (Replaces Rifleman)
Replaces Rifleman. May enter enemy territory without Open Borders, and can build Roads, Railroads, and Steelyards. Does not go obsolete.
UI: Steelyard
Requires the Steel technology, and may only be built on flat land or sources of Iron. Yields +1 Production, increased by +1 if built on Iron and with the discovery of Industrialization.
Basically an Autocratic, slave-driving Venice. The more "civilized" companion to the Raiders civilization, detailed further below.

The Unity (The Master)
Start Bias: Avoid Tundra
Capital: Mariposa
UA: Acolytes Of The New God
All land-based military units are replaced with Super Mutants, and are slightly stronger than the units they replace. Defeated enemy units may become Workers, which can be upgraded into military units.
UU: Nightkin (Replaces Longswordsman? Rifleman? Cavalry? IDK)
Is Invisible, but becomes visible for 1 turn upon attacking.
UB: FEV Vats
Replaces Barracks. Newly-trained melee units gain a random, unique promotion upon completing their first round of combat. Captured or gifted non-Super Mutant land units will become Mutants if they end their turn in this city.
Think of it like The Pridelands on steroids Forced Evolutionary Virus. The creation of this civ hinges entirely on me being able to acquire Super Mutant models.

Raiders (Death-Hand [Default])
Start Bias: Desert
Capital: Red Rock Canyon
UA: ???
Upon entering a new Era, a Tribe may fight the incumbent leader of the Raiders for control of the civ. If the challenging Tribe wins, the Raiders receive a new leader with an upgraded Unique Unit. If the defending leader wins, the Raiders enter a Golden Age.
UU: Khan Warrior (Replaces Warrior)
Default UU for the Raiders, replacing the Warrior. Cheaper to build, may enter enemy territory without Open Borders, and for every turn spent in the territory of another civilization, has a chance to become a Barbarian. These attributes are shared with all other potential Raider UUs.
Yields less :c5food: Food than the Hospital it replaces. Provides a copy of the unique Chems luxury resource, and newly-trained infantry units in this city may choose the unique Psycho (15% Attack Bonus), Med-X (15% Defense Bonus), or Jet (+1 :c5moves: Movement) Promotions.
Essentially a land-lubbing, post-apocalyptic Buccaneers. Blobbed to hell and back because...I dunno. Rest assured, I actually came up with the UA a while ago, before the Xia came out with their fancy-pants Dynasties. Either way, the details on the UUs and Leaders are listed in the spoiler below.
Spoiler :
UU 2: White Leg (Replaces Swordsman)
Leader 2: Salt-Upon-Wounds
UU 3: Viper (Replaces Pikeman)
Leader 3: Jonathan Faust
UU 4: Powder Ganger (Replaces Musketman)
Leader 4: Eddie
UU 5: New Khan (Replaces Rifleman)
Leader 5: Darion
UU 6: Fiend (Replaces Great War Infantry)
Leader 6: Motor-Runner
UU 7: Great Khan (Replaces Infantry)
Leader 7: Papa Khan
UU 8: Talon Company (Replaces Mechanized Infantry)
Leader 8: Commander Jabsco

Dont forget the institute,:) oh The Pitt should have no cost with railroad as well, what with slave labour & what well or no cost with workers unless your making a slaver civ then go with that instead.

Yeah, I'll save the Institute designs until Fallout 4 comes out and we all get familiarized with the new additions to the lore.

Yeah, I'll save the Institute designs until Fallout 4 comes out and we all get familiarized with the new additions to the lore.

While my Fallout 3 and New Vegas memories are long out of tune, I remember there was this society called Utobitia someplace in the Mojave made completely of Super Mutants, maybe that could be a good idea for a civ, that or the Wild Wasteland trait is now inflicted in my brain. :shifty:

For some reason, I think the Drug Lab with the unique Chems luxury and promotions sounds really cool. It's just so flavorful!

While my Fallout 3 and New Vegas memories are long out of tune, I remember there was this society called Utobitia someplace in the Mojave made completely of Super Mutants, maybe that could be a good idea for a civ, that or the Wild Wasteland trait is now inflicted in my brain. :shifty:

Way too small to be an actual civ.

The Glorious State of Utobitha AKA Black Mountain will be represented through The Unity's city list and spy list. I'm probably going to quickly run out of actual settlements/locations occupied by the Master's Army, so I'll fall back to Super Mutant settlements in the Mojave, and if worst comes to worst, the Capital Wasteland (even though those muties are from a strain of their own, coming out of Vault 87 instead of Mariposa Military Base.)

The Glorious State of Utobitha AKA Black Mountain will be represented through The Unity's city list and spy list. I'm probably going to quickly run out of actual settlements/locations occupied by the Master's Army, so I'll fall back to Super Mutant settlements in the Mojave, and if worst comes to worst, the Capital Wasteland (even though those muties are from a strain of their own, coming out of Vault 87 instead of Mariposa Military Base.)

Ahhh, understood and atleast im not psychpatically crazy, but how would The Master's be "incorporated" within Civ, I mean he is an FEV (from what i remember) his leaderscreen... (ughh). Ahh thats not important, I actually like the Raiders and I assume you did the design based off of the newly released Xia, Also quite fond of the Pitt as well with the Venician-styled gameplay, and hopefully New Vegas, Caesars Legion, and Brotherhood of Steel are all completed fully.

Actually, I came up with the Raiders UA a few weeks back, while watching Fallout Lore videos and pondering ViceVirtuoso's then-new method of changing leaders/leader screens in the middle of a game (though the Xia design is legendary and otherwise deserves credit where credit's due).

And The Master being a horrible, disgusting FEV beast hooked up to a computer is all part of the fun of it! Think about it: Shaka is a scary man. The Zulu's design makes the Zulus a very scary civ, making Shaka that much scarier. Shaka, after getting knocked into a vat of FEV, is much, much scarier. The Unity's design makes The Unity a very scary civ, making The Master probably THE scariest leader in the game. And the unique dialogue options are endless, using text color keys to designate words spoken by his shouty and female voice modules. So what shall it be? Will you join The Unity, or will you die here? Join! Die! Join! Die!

Actually, I came up with the Raiders UA a few weeks back, while watching Fallout Lore videos and pondering ViceVirtuoso's then-new method of changing leaders/leader screens in the middle of a game (though the Xia design is legendary and otherwise deserves credit where credit's due).

And The Master being a horrible, disgusting FEV beast hooked up to a computer is all part of the fun of it! Think about it: Shaka is a scary man. The Zulu's design makes the Zulus a very scary civ, making Shaka that much scarier. Shaka, after getting knocked into a vat of FEV, is much, much scarier. The Unity's design makes The Unity a very scary civ, making The Master probably THE scariest leader in the game. And the unique dialogue options are endless, using text color keys to designate words spoken by his shouty and female voice modules. So what shall it be? Will you join The Unity, or will you die here? Join! Die! Join! Die!

Hopefully if you ever complete the full set of Fallout Civs, A Fallout map with TSL would be a gift from the heavens and of course some dialogue along from The Master:You look much like those of Vault Dwellers, perhaps you will make perfect test subject, and all of that while playing as New Vegas makes the hype train go beyond the track their on. :D

Top Bottom