Without using FlagPromotions, is there a way to see what a promotion does on other units?

Bridger

Prince
I wonder if I'm missing a piece of the UI that lets you see what a promotion does on units other than your own? If it's your own unit, you can simply select it and hover over the various promotions in the bottom left corner. Problem is, you cannot select a unit belonging to a city-state, barbarian, or AI civ. So I can hover over and see all the icons for the promotions, but unless I have memorized the icon for every promotion I don't know what these do. Further, there are a lot of promotions which share the "yellow triangle" promotion and only reading the text will tell you what it does.

I am currently using FlagPromotions, but I miss the hover-over strength information of the normal VP flags. Since VP never actually incorporated FlagPromotions, I wonder if I'm missing something they provided?

I don't think there is a way besides "guessing" the promotion from the icons and looking at combat previews (which modifiers appear there). So, you probably don't miss anything (unless I do, too).

I think that this mod (https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/promotion-overhaul-for-vp.626728/) give new promotion icons to promotions that did not have any, so it help the "Further, there are a lot of promotions which share the "yellow triangle" promotion and only reading the text will tell you what it does." You still have to know them by heart, but that's an improvement.

"Since VP never actually incorporated FlagPromotions, I wonder if I'm missing something they provided?"
The reason is that VP+FlagPromotion is indirectly incompatible with a lot of others mods.
It is quite ressource demanding, so for example VP+FlagPromotion+RED leads to glitches and crashes in post industrial era (memory overflow), making it unplayable.

thanks for clearing up an issue plaguing my games for a long time, moi magnus! I have been using those three mods together for years, and almost always get that late game instability. never knew how resource demanding red and flagpromos (barra v7) were. guess I'd rather give up red than the visible promotions I like so much.

my next playthrough should tell me if more resource hogs remain - I like my whoward/infixo/enginseer mods way too much to give any of them the axe, so crossing my fingers!

- E

thanks for clearing up an issue plaguing my games for a long time, moi magnus! I have been using those three mods together for years, and almost always get that late game instability. never knew how resource demanding red and flagpromos (barra v7) were. guess I'd rather give up red than the visible promotions I like so much.

my next playthrough should tell me if more resource hogs remain - I like my whoward/infixo/enginseer mods way too much to give any of them the axe, so crossing my fingers!

- E

R.E.D. is murder- so many textures.

G

I'm playing right now without FlagPromotions. It was an effort to track the freeze bug. But I'm missing that soo much :cry:
So, I've removed permanently RED and Flag Promos, too many CTDs. Now, I only use Texture Enhancement Pack as my big resource mod. You get used to it after a while, it's better to have stability in the long run than a niche feature.

So, I've removed permanently RED and Flag Promos, too many CTDs. Now, I only use Texture Enhancement Pack as my big resource mod. You get used to it after a while, it's better to have stability in the long run than a niche feature.
I never used RED, only FlagPromotions, and I didn't experience CTD. I'll use it again, just not using it now for bug tracking.

I never used RED, only FlagPromotions, and I didn't experience CTD. I'll use it again, just not using it now for bug tracking.
Actually, I think my problems might be due to the texture pack (511 MB uncompressed). It's hard to know because I don't know what the limits are to the engine (4 GB theoretical max?). How much RAM should the executable be using at any given time to be within the "safe" zone (2 - 3 GB)?

Actually, I think my problems might be due to the texture pack (511 MB uncompressed). It's hard to know because I don't know what the limits are to the engine (4 GB theoretical max?). How much RAM should the executable be using at any given time to be within the "safe" zone (2 - 3 GB)?
I use FP and 2K-terrains-tectures, and it is at the limit.
Usually it works, but not always, and certainly not when playing on Giant Earth with 43 civs.

thanks for clearing up an issue plaguing my games never knew how resource demanding red and flagpromos (barra v7) were. guess I'd rather give up red than the visible promotions I like so much.

Feel exactly the same way. Just removed RED but I'm keeping Flagpropotions for now.

\Skodkim

I never used any texture mods only f;Ag promotions and im im industrial i often have crashes. After changing to Akamals version IT works well

I can live with several promotions sharing the same icon - but you really need to be able to hover over them to get a tooltip. Unfortunately, this is not possible for your own highly promoted units, where the icons are obstructed by the picture of the unit, or for enemy units at all.
Recently I encountered a barbarian unit with an icon unknown to me, which looks like a chinese hat. I found out the hard way that it is supposed to be a dune and gives double movement on desert.

For your own units, you can use UI-Condensed Promotions (from Whoward, I believe). It groups promotions of the same type (so just one icon for "Drill 3" instead of 3 for instance). It screws up the EUI interface for units, however. That doesn't help you for barbs, however.

Edit: Screwing up only in the sense that you'll get the vanilla action buttons, everything will work correctly.

The newest EUI has a feature where it shows promotions when hovering over a unit. Very nice, if only VP would allow us to use it.....

@Questdog Do you have a screenshot of it?

I dont know if that's the difference, and I'm sorry for the intrusion, but it appears that by hovering over the icon for a few seconds, the information appears in a box with the promotion name.

Attachments

• promotions_eui.png
    promotions_eui.png
    646.8 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Top Bottom