WoC Suggestion Thread - NOT Specific Modules

Others should comment on this as well, but my understanding is that you would make one file per leader and in that file would ONLY have the trait changes.

E.g.

Code:
		<LeaderHeadInfo>
			<Type>LEADER_BRENNUS</Type>
			<Traits>
				whatever trait to add
			</Traits>
		</LeaderHeadInfo>

As to actually changing traits (instead of adding ones), that is the part I am not sure of. I do not know whether you can actually replace <TraitType>s within <Traits> and not just add ones given the WoC format (I have asked that question before, for a different tag, but have not gotten an answer yet)

Let's see... how about the Immigrant unit? That was one I wanted for ViSa, and it never quite got to the working stage.

Sea Settlers and Sea Engineers, that was another good set of game components.

Perhaps some way to move religious Shrines - you build a "Holy Pilgrimage" unit in the Holy City (and it can only be built in a Holy City with the religion's shrine), at which point it removes the Shrine and the city's "holy" status. Move the unit to another city which shares the appropriate religion, use it there, and it makes that city the religion's holy city, complete with shrine. No combat value on the unit, so if it's attacked it's captured (like a worker), and the attacker can use it if he/she has the appropriate religion in a city. It could even be used to reestablish the Holy City and Shrine in a foreign city, if the controller wanted to do that for some reason.

Blue Marble doesn't require any dll changes, so it will work with Blue Marble without problems. WoC otoh does require a different dll, so if you use WoC formatted xml you cannot replace the WoC dll with Dale's dll.

Dale's code could be combined with the WoC code (and I sure hope it will be) to have a dll which supports both the WoC format and Dale's changes.

The plan is to incorporate as many mods into the DLL as is humanly possible.

Others should comment on this as well, but my understanding is that you would make one file per leader and in that file would ONLY have the trait changes.

E.g.

Code:
		<LeaderHeadInfo>
			<Type>LEADER_BRENNUS</Type>
			<Traits>
				whatever trait to add
			</Traits>
		</LeaderHeadInfo>

As to actually changing traits (instead of adding ones), that is the part I am not sure of. I do not know whether you can actually replace <TraitType>s within <Traits> and not just add ones given the WoC format (I have asked that question before, for a different tag, but have not gotten an answer yet)

Each tag like this must be looked at individually, so there is no "global" answer except that each will be fixed as we are told about them.

Traits specifically, I am not sure why a separate file for each leaderhead would be created. I haven't looked at it yet, but in my mind what is happening here is a "Trait Mod" and it belongs in its own module with just the Traits tags.

Let's see... how about the Immigrant unit? That was one I wanted for ViSa, and it never quite got to the working stage.

Sea Settlers and Sea Engineers, that was another good set of game components.

Perhaps some way to move religious Shrines - you build a "Holy Pilgrimage" unit in the Holy City (and it can only be built in a Holy City with the religion's shrine), at which point it removes the Shrine and the city's "holy" status. Move the unit to another city which shares the appropriate religion, use it there, and it makes that city the religion's holy city, complete with shrine. No combat value on the unit, so if it's attacked it's captured (like a worker), and the attacker can use it if he/she has the appropriate religion in a city. It could even be used to reestablish the Holy City and Shrine in a foreign city, if the controller wanted to do that for some reason.

All of that sounds good to me....but again for everybody, we are not making a mod here, but a modding platform/standard on which all other BtS modders can develop things in a way that nearly everything will work together and let the player choose the individual parts on an individual game basis.

We will be releasing quite a few Modules over the coming months, but even the large WoC Team can't keep up with everything done on CFC for BtS....

I love the system you guys are making, and I'm trying to convert some of my favorite mods to this fashion so I can use them. Unfortunately, the load times are absolutely horrendous on my system.

I was able to launch Firefox, navigate to this page through Google, bring it up, skim the thread (did a search for "World of Civilization" "Loading Time", then Ctrl+F "loading"), and then as I started writing, the mod finally launched. I am only running 1GB of Ram, and onboard video that shares (I think) 64MB of that RAM, but that would be the only reason I wouldn't use this system.

On the bright side, I'm glad to see that the loading speed is being looked into; it would really make my day if I could play WoC as quickly as some of the newer systems. :D

I love the system you guys are making, and I'm trying to convert some of my favorite mods to this fashion so I can use them. Unfortunately, the load times are absolutely horrendous on my system.

I was able to launch Firefox, navigate to this page through Google, bring it up, skim the thread (did a search for "World of Civilization" "Loading Time", then Ctrl+F "loading"), and then as I started writing, the mod finally launched. I am only running 1GB of Ram, and onboard video that shares (I think) 64MB of that RAM, but that would be the only reason I wouldn't use this system.

On the bright side, I'm glad to see that the loading speed is being looked into; it would really make my day if I could play WoC as quickly as some of the newer systems. :D

Depending on exactly which version you have....it is really slow or will be faster....

Ingame speed for players will be just fine, but right now we have been using debug and logger DLL's that are VERY slow loading and playing.....remember we have not released V1.00 yet so don't judge it just yet :)

BTW, BtS itself loads very slow when I reboot as well....not as slow as the WoC, but what can you expect from a system that will give you the choice to change nearly any and all components of any mod in any game!!!!

Depending on exactly which version you have....it is really slow or will be faster....

Ingame speed for players will be just fine, but right now we have been using debug and logger DLL's that are VERY slow loading and playing.....remember we have not released V1.00 yet so don't judge it just yet :)

BTW, BtS itself loads very slow when I reboot as well....not as slow as the WoC, but what can you expect from a system that will give you the choice to change nearly any and all components of any mod in any game!!!!

That would definitely explain it!

I'm sorry to be of trouble, but could you tell me how to get the current "fast loading" version? I don't have a need for "debug" mode, since I can't tell the difference between a "bug" and my computer just being crappy sometimes. Intel onboard video does some weird things with graphics.

:EDIT:

Okay, I just finished getting the SVN version, and it is a lot faster; but whenever I try to boot it up, I keep getting loading errors. I went ahead and ignored the first couple errors, but eventually I got tired of clicking "Ignore" and just hit "Abort." I noticed that a lot of the modules in the SVN's "modules" folder are not like the installer I got previously (Earlier this week) and I'm just curious if it has anything to do with that. The only concrete differences I've seen between the two thus far are:

1. The SVN loads MUCH faster. (I want to use it)
2. The SVN has modularized MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml
3. The SVN has a lot less "Unit" modules than the one I have been trying to use.

Am I using the wrong version again? (Perhaps the Development version, not the Release?) If so, how can I tell the Devel from the Release?

:clueless:

That would definitely explain it!

I'm sorry to be of trouble, but could you tell me how to get the current "fast loading" version? I don't have a need for "debug" mode, since I can't tell the difference between a "bug" and my computer just being crappy sometimes. Intel onboard video does some weird things with graphics.

:EDIT:

Okay, I just finished getting the SVN version, and it is a lot faster; but whenever I try to boot it up, I keep getting loading errors. I went ahead and ignored the first couple errors, but eventually I got tired of clicking "Ignore" and just hit "Abort." I noticed that a lot of the modules in the SVN's "modules" folder are not like the installer I got previously (Earlier this week) and I'm just curious if it has anything to do with that. The only concrete differences I've seen between the two thus far are:

1. The SVN loads MUCH faster. (I want to use it)
2. The SVN has modularized MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml
3. The SVN has a lot less "Unit" modules than the one I have been trying to use.

Am I using the wrong version again? (Perhaps the Development version, not the Release?) If so, how can I tell the Devel from the Release?

:clueless:

Currently the SVN has a serious load error from Firaxis....we have contacted them and they are assisting us as they can with their limited Civ schedule right now. It is not you....you can delete some MLF's in the Units and Wonders to get everything in Assets to load if you wish....fixes are coming :)

Any chance of adding in the functionality from Revolutions/BarbarianCiv mod? Seeing the rise and fall of Empires is awesome.

Any chance of adding in the functionality from Revolutions/BarbarianCiv mod? Seeing the rise and fall of Empires is awesome.

The WoC is a modding Standard, not a mod itself....so any modder is welcome to add anything for BtS to it, in fact we hope modders will adopt this and will help any modder too.

We are doing conversions ourselves, but we could never do everything for BtS by ourselves.

I noticed in a comment by jdog5000 that he was using WoC style comments in his latest versions (check his changelog). I would definitely welcome him to the WoC modding standard, so we could enjoy revolutions together :)

Edit: hmm, not sure now I have learned that WOC can mean something else: "a library of C++ classes which are named Windows/OpenGL Classes, or WOC for short."

Would it be possible to have all the modules in the installer... or else make it so that WoC links in a RSS way to the list of all the modules?

I ask because downloading as many as i am is confusing me about if i downloaded and installed this one... did i delete that thinking i installed that... its all rather confusing for a simpleton like me

There are many modcomps i like but theres one thing i hate about civ IV, the random generated maps are so terible, i think you guys should ask rhye if u could use his RAND generator, i love that thing, it makes amazing random maps unlike CIV IV

it creates a real earth type map, the random earth maps in civ IV are terrible, rhyes is very realistic, try it out sometime

or even better...apply this module system to rfc, just that its too much work...way too much.

Top Bottom