Woman takes drugs during Pregnancy, Police charges...

Being born into a rich family certainly has its benefits.

Your dismissive attitude makes me think though... if those 66% of African-Americans turned out okay... why does the problem of single-parenthood then persist through generations? What is the factor that makes so many African-American families stop working over time?

Without having done any research on the African-American population this sounds a lot like the same self-sustaining problem we have in German low-income areas (at least those dominated by native Germans and non-Muslim immigrants): Single-parenthood leads to people who have not learned how to live as a family and then become single-parents when they're older.

Alternatively, people who grow up with separated parents are less likely to believe that marriage is unbreakable (or that splitting up will ruin their children's chances in life), and so will be more likely to leave an unhappy relationship than let it run on and make everybody miserable. I'm certainly not convinced that two parents who would clearly be divorced except for a sense of obligation are any better than one who is reasonably happy with life.

To me this sounds a lot like the "I want this to be true!" fantasy version of an actual argument to be honest. It's not like these low-income families split in any reasonable manner, in most cases the father simply runs away and never comes back, leaving behind not only the wife and the relationship, but also their child(ren).

If children from single-parenthood families were just good at understanding when a relationship does not work out instead of sticking to a broken family that would not happen. The average person would split up but want to keep in contact with their child(ren), not completely run away from their old life. That's exactly the thing somebody would do who does not have the social competence required to handle a family.

Besides that... being from a low-income environment myself and having known a lot of problematic and broken families my personal experience is that the people who want their relationships to succeed the most are the ones who have never had a working family themselves. Of course that is just personal experience, but still.

Top Bottom