Wonders

Fier Canadien

Citizen
In the absence of my superior, Curufinwë, his honorable Minister of Culture, I have been instructed to poll the will of the people about the wonders of the ancient age.

The goal of this polling process is to define which wonders the people have most interest building. This discussion is, altough very simple, extremely important for further planning by the culture ministry.

This discussion will go on untill august the 6th. On the said date, at a yet undefined hour, I will set an informal multichoice poll to get the figure.

Now, let's get on with the question: Considering an informal polling of your will, select the wonders of the ancient age that you consider the most worth building.

In any given democratic system, information is considered the key to freedom. So, I'll inform you:
The wonders of the Ancient age
  • The Collossus: Availible with Bronze working. May be built in a coastal city only. Adds one gold to every tile that produces gold in the city. Rendered obsolete by Flight. Religious
  • The Pyramids: Availible with Masonry. Gives every city in the continent a Granary. Religious
  • The Great Library: Availible with Literature. Gives us every tech know by at least two of our known Foreign Countries. Rendered obsolete by Eduction. (also the most culture intensive building in the game)
  • The Great Lighthouse: Availible with Map Making. May be built in a costal city only. Gives our galleys +1 movement and safe access to sea tiles. Rendered obsolete by Magnetism.
  • The Oracle: Availible with Mythology. Gives our continental temples an extra content face. Rendered obsolete by Theology. Religious
  • The Great Wall: Availible with Construction. Gives our units a 50% bonus against Barbarians and double the bonus of City Walls. Rendered obsolete by Metalurgy. Militaristic
  • The Hanging Gardens: Availible with Monarchy. Makes 3 unhappy citizens content in its city and one unhappy citizen content in our other cities. Rendered obsolete by Steam Power.

Fier Canadien said:
The Ministry of culture officialy tends in the direction of the Great Library.

Personnaly, I would recommand building the Great Library and the Pyramids.

I agree with those 2, followed by the Collossus and the Great Wall.

Bah! Happiness will be crucial in this game. The Oracle and The Hanging Gardens!

The Great Library first, it is ultimately the most important wonder in the game as it has the most potential to help and the most potential for harm.

On Monarch we really should be able to be a fair way ahead of the AI in tech, so I'm not a big fan of the GL. It really depends on our terrain. I think Pyramids (saves a lot of money over the course of the game, Hanging Gardens (oracle is obsolete too early). GL is a nice culture booster if we get the chance though.

I don't see the GL being THAT important at such a low difficulty

I'd suggest going this way

Pyramids -> Oracle -> Hanging Gardens

Colossus if practical.

1.Pyramids
2.Hanging Gardens

3. GL or Colossus.

In order of preference and usefulness to our game.

As a member of Zenedoshou, i think we should stay away from some of the more militaristic wonders (this will also allow US to trigger the Golden Age). However, some of the religious wonders are worth the risk of an early GA.

Citizen happiness and cultural dominance should be higher up on our list. Therefore, here is my list with reasons:

1.- Great Library: Gives us free techs. nuff said. also prevents AI from getting it, which can be a pain.
2.- The Oracle: Too bad we arent playing C3C, this along with ToA are a killer combo. Gives us culture and happiness boost, which is GOOD for us citizens.
3.- IS OPEN... depends if we are on a small island, Lighthouse is a must. if not, I would push for the Pyramids. Good for fast settler expansion.

I would support the Pyramids. It'll save us both money and production (from the construction of all granaries).
I would also support the Colossus, if possible. It can give a commercial boost.
Because we are religious, I would suggest not to build the Oracle. The chance of an early GA is way too big, and it's obsolete incredibly fast; that's not worth it. Maybe the hanging gardens...that depends.
A great Library only if practical. We won't need it very much and it's also obsolete fast.

I usually don't bother with ancient wonders, instead focusing on units, temples, and libraries. If we want to pursue diplomatic victory as some have suggested, it is important to be strong enough that others don't declare war on us. This means we should build enough units to be "strong" to most opponents, even if we are not planning to conquor them.

However, in the DG culture we want happieness in the forum as well as in the game, so the Oracle or Hanging Gardens would be good. We also need to find out if we're on an island, in which case the Great Lighthouse may be essential.

I must reiterate that the GL is key as far as the tech race goes.

I suggest aiming for the GL. Even if we are ahead in tech, it would keep another civ from gaining an equal footing with us and perhaps help us get a tech we might not research until much later. We might or might not be ahead of AI in tech, it just depends on the circumstances.

Pyramids is also a good wonder, it never becomes obsoletes and granaries are what every city needs.

The Great Wall is a pretty much pointless wonder because by the time we research construction we should have a sufficient military force to ward off any threats.

It is not really a good thing to go into a golden age this early ingame, everyone is just starting up.

Another strategy is to let other civs build wonders and cap their cities :mischief:

Bobby Lee said:
I must reiterate that the GL is key as far as the tech race goes.

If this was Emporer or Diety, I'd agree with this, however, on Monarchy it's easy to keep up with the AI by building the Great Library. Also as many have stated in the long run it doesn't last too terribly long.

I understand the benefits...
-Relaxed Science spending
-Don't have to worry about ever falling behind until Education
-Free Techs for Trade

However, if we ever produce a lead on the AI the Great Library practically becomes worthless. The Great Library assumes we'll be behind in the tech race. Also, with the Great Libary it's easy to take the tech gain for granted and ignore Library production, since there are "more pressing matters" (ie. Growth, Military, Happiness).

Pyramids allow for maximum Growth and thus Maximum expansion of all cities (something VERY important early on to claim the most land)

The Oracle gives a nice happiness bonus... but I admit like others have stated it is short lived. However, if I'm not mistaken (not 100% sure) the Oracle may give our Temples a culture boost as well, and that could prove very helpful in the long run. At least to discourage Culture Flips. Another more important disadvantage though would be Early GA. That has the most potential to hurt us for this wonder, a GA when we don't have the backbone to fully take advantage of it.

Hanging Gardens provides an EXCELLENT Happiness bonus (esp. for the city it's located in). And IIRC it doesn't go obsolete until Steam Engine?

Blackhart - Taking wonders by force is not an option, we went into this game with peaceful goals, and only a new citizen's vote will change that. Wars will be waged for self defence or even vengence for dastardly attacks, but I don't think it's likely we'll wage wars to take Wonders. Though this would have to be polled if the opertunity were to arise.

From one deputy to another, it appears our nation is looking for the Hanging Gardens. If I could breech topic for a moment, if given the option to do Bronze-Iron-Monarchy Path, who here would do it? It is not the Lit/Cur path CT is suggesting (and the same I personally use for peace games), but it allows us trading material. Please talk about this in the tech thread.

Top Bottom