Work in Progress - Super Civ Scenario

Not strictly an in-game screenie but an in-editor one showing the resources on the map.

Even if I do say so myself, I think they look quite good - certainly they stand out very clearly which is good in my books.

If I can motivate myself I'll update the icons so that each of the 3 resource types (bonus, luxury and strategic) have the same background colour.

Attachments

• resources on map.png
    resources on map.png
    241.9 KB · Views: 211
They fulfil their function remarkably. I-LOVE-those-roads.

Spent all night finishing the strategic and luxury resource icons.

I learned all about the delights of exporting and importing palettes and the sheer joy of pixel editing by hand ;) Now I'm not to happy with the colours but I'm not going to redo them.

Attachments

• resources on map2.png
    resources on map2.png
    307.1 KB · Views: 181
Hey, I've been doing the advisors' small heads for The Guardian's mesoamerican scenario; if you need something of the sort, say so :).

Crosspost edit: Those look lovely. What's the problem with the colours? I can do drudge work, sometimes.

Also, you might wanna try Imageshack, so many attachments might clog your account. :)

Takhisis - I'd love for you to do some advisors.

I'm thinking the icons might benefit from shadows so I may do that later.

I must be nearing the limit for attachments so I'll keep imagshack in mind.

I learned all about the delights of exporting and importing palettes and the sheer joy of pixel editing by hand ;) Now I'm not to happy with the colours but I'm not going to redo them.
changing the background color on the icons is pretty simple. They look like they're one solid color. So it's just a matter of Changing the RGB numbers for that slot in the palette that already has been applied. And the resources are all in the same pcx, so only one palette needs adjustment. If you send me the file & let me know what you'd like done with the colors I'd be happy to do some back & forth posting 'til you have what you like.

Takhisis - I'd love for you to do some advisors.
Well, send me a lot of info, resource pics, tips, etc. etc. and we'll slowly put it into motion :)

I tried changing the slot in the palette originally but unfortunately they turned out not to be solid colours but different shades - too many to change each slot individually.

I'll relate the painful process I knocked up by trial and error just in case you guys have any tips for me. Maybe I should have asked before I started :blush: :D

Step 1 Index map icon: Using GIMP, open the map icon that has the background colour I want - lets call this the template. Index the image to generate a palette. Save the image under a new name.

Step 2 Open the template icon in a program called Irfan View (this is the main program I use to browse pcxs on my computer because it's really fast loading and neat). Use Irfan View to Export the palette as a PAL file (couldn't work out how to export/import palettes in GIMP).

Step 3 Open the map icon that needs a colour change and repeat step 1.

Step 4 Open the map icon in Irfan View and Import the template's palette file.

Step 5 Open the map icon in GIMP and adjust the colours if necessary. Most times the palette was applied oddly and the wrong slots were being used. I had to use the paint pot to fill in the correct colour or use the pen to paint in individual pixels of the correct colour.:(

Step 6 Use GIMP to turn the image into a civ compatible pcx file and paste onto the resources.pcx sheet. I should point out that at this point the image had lost it's original transparency after saving it in Step 3. I had to then pen in magenta on the resource.pcx around the image where the transparency was now a white block of colour.

Move on to next image and repeat :scan:

It may be easier for someone with PSP or Photoshop to do a quick re-index for you. For PSP/Photoshop, you can make the resource file an RGB image, then paste in the new resources, then re-index it, and the programs create the new palette for you automatically. All the original colors will stay mostly in-tact.

I still can't figure out GIMP palettes. I spent a whole week on and off trying to figure things out, but only confused myself more. I think many would benefit if GIMP had an easier user-friendly palette modification/creation plug-in. Many programs; freeware or not, have this, so it is not really anything so complex compared to GIMP's other mass of abilities and functions. I don't think it can export/import palettes because they use some off-the-wall GIMP only palette format (using a GMP extension or something like that). I don't know if PAL and ACT palette files must be licensed to be used or something ?? Perhaps it may be a legal issue, so it may not support those for that type of reason.

tom2050, I agree with you re. GIMP: it's not the most user friendly piece of software.

I really like GIMP except for palette stuff. I was endlessly frustrated when trying to follow Tom's unit conversion guid using GIMP. I eventually gave up. All of us who use GIMP should start a partition or something to promote adding the appropriate palette features to GIMP.

Nick

Seems the answer regarding importing and exporting palettes was partly in the very thread of the tutorial I was using:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6531485&postcount=10

Although, admittedly my results with this method so far aren't as good as with Irfan View as GIMP seems to use a much limited range of colours from the imported palette which means a lot of pixel editing of the image is required afterwards. Irfan View seems to pick out the colours from the palette and apply them a bit more "intelligently" if that makes sense?

Top Bottom