Worker and other automation

Casworon

Prince
I have a sin to admit. I always automate my workers. I'm definitely not a min-max player and play single player exclusively. It seems in BNW worker improvements are much more varied and are a major decision of which ones to build and where. If that is the case do we know if worker automation is still in the game? Are there options to set in the menu? (automated workers don't build -health improvements, ect ect)

Also what information do we know about other automation? I saw that city governor is still in for auto tile placements, but can we also automate building in cities?

I have a sin to admit. I always automate my workers. I'm definitely not a min-max player and play single player exclusively. It seems in BNW worker improvements are much more varied and are a major decision of which ones to build and where. If that is the case do we know if worker automation is still in the game? Are there options to set in the menu? (automated workers don't build -health improvements, ect ect)

Also what information do we know about other automation? I saw that city governor is still in for auto tile placements, but can we also automate building in cities?

it is still in the game, and it has some of the same options (don't remove features, don't remove improvements already placed)

I would hope they could add a
'don't place roads/magrails' and
'don't place maintenance improvements'
options

Well I don't think you could automate city production in CivV (except for puppets) so I think you probably can't in this one either.

Fortunately they made it a little bit easier on the build menu each building has a symbol for its primary output.

The one thing they need is for workers/explorers to automatically wake up when they are close to being killed by miasma (like they would wake up for barbs in CivV.)

Unless you've already cleared Miasma near you (in addition to nearby nests), it's going to be less safe to automate workers in BE than in Civ5, and that's saying something.

Unless you've already cleared Miasma near you (in addition to nearby nests), it's going to be less safe to automate workers in BE than in Civ5, and that's saying something.

Or grabbed Alien Biology which gives Workers a Miasama immunity; still dangerous, though, to lose them to alien units.

Which is why they Really need to wake explorers/workers who take damage from miasma. (at least if they are in the red)

or just don't put your workers/explorers in miasma to work a tile if they don't have the health to complete the job... there is a safe way to remove the miasma... quit trying to make the game easier.

Which is why they Really need to wake explorers/workers who take damage from miasma. (at least if they are in the red)
That's probably the easiest solution. They could also just make workers and Scouts leave and ignore miasma when they're in red health.

or just don't put your workers/explorers in miasma to work a tile if they don't have the health to complete the job... there is a safe way to remove the miasma... quit trying to make the game easier.
I don't really see the problem here. It's about automated workers, the inefficient "I don't want to babysit them."-way of playing the game, so it's not something a "real" (sorry if that's offensive, op :D) player would have to deal with anyway. If however you meant that they should not automatically wake up if you use them manually: I actually agree.

That's probably the easiest solution. They could also just make workers and Scouts leave and ignore miasma when they're in red health.

I don't really see the problem here. It's about automated workers, the inefficient "I don't want to babysit them."-way of playing the game, so it's not something a "real" (sorry if that's offensive, op :D) player would have to deal with anyway. If however you meant that they should not automatically wake up if you use them manually: I actually agree.

There I disagree, manual workers in CivV woke up when barbs were near. Manual workers/explorers in CivBE should wake up if they are red in miasma (or say if they are 10 hp or less in miasma if you want to be extra stringent)

There I disagree, manual workers in CivV woke up when barbs were near. Manual workers/explorers in CivBE should wake up if they are red in miasma (or say if they are 10 hp or less in miasma if you want to be extra stringent)

For me the main difference is that you can't predict if and when barbarians show up (= the situation changes), but you can predict if a worker has enough hp to finish the project, so it's just something you have to remember. Not making them wake up rewards multitasking (by penalizing carelessness ^^). But I understand why people would disagree, after all it's much attention that you have to spend on something that is a rather "unimportant" task.

For me the main difference is that you can't predict if and when barbarians show up (= the situation changes), but you can predict if a worker has enough hp to finish the project, so it's just something you have to remember. Not making them wake up rewards multitasking (by penalizing carelessness ^^). But I understand why people would disagree, after all it's much attention that you have to spend on something that is a rather "unimportant" task.

My main disagreement is that a TBS shouldn't penalize not making automatic/non decisions.
(move worker/scout out of miasma and heal and finish OR have it die and have to get another worker/explorer there is an 'automatic/non decision')

Its the reason why we should have a civilopedia instead of you writing down the stats of tile yields, improvements, and units when you first see them on the map.

Based on what I've seen in the gameplay videos, Workers do not wake up when aliens are near. That combined with the danger from miasma suggests that automating your Workers may be very dangerous.

And that is a problem.. they Should wake up when non friendly aliens are particularly near (at least adjacent)

And that is a problem.. they Should wake up when non friendly aliens are particularly near (at least adjacent)
There will be problems either way.

In Beyond Earth, you're terraforming an alien world; there are many different choices of improvements that you can place depending on how you choose to play, and those choices are meaningful. It's not like Civ V where there's usually one best answer for every tile. Worker improvements are now an important part of gameplay that really shouldn't be automated.

it is a turn based game, not a rush to win in 2 hours...your decisions affect the game, and what the worker builds is part of that decision... simple solution for automated workers, they can NOT enter miasma, that way you never loose the worker to miasma...

Waking for an alien near, that will be every turn, as the aliens hang around.

Maybe what the community really wants is a configurable option. "Wake Workers When in Danger" to toggle on or off.

There will be problems either way.

In Beyond Earth, you're terraforming an alien world; there are many different choices of improvements that you can place depending on how you choose to play, and those choices are meaningful. It's not like Civ V where there's usually one best answer for every tile. Worker improvements are now an important part of gameplay that really shouldn't be automated.

I disagree, because Most of those decisions are minor. Especially later in the game.
Also by automating Some workers, (and having no replace) the important decisions can be controlled manually.

What civ should really have is a 'planned improvement feature' where you can click on a tile and say what improvement you want there. Automated workers will then place that improvement when doing that tile (otherwise they use their judgement)

And a 'wake explorers/workers in danger' toggle would be excellent.

A menu for "what would you like this worker to build?" where you could pick which improvements you wanted it to make, would be nice, but is not happening. However, workers should definitely move out/avoid miasma if they are low on health.

I disagree, because Most of those decisions are minor. Especially later in the game.
Late in the game you have wildly diverging choices including Manufactories with health penalties, Terrascapes with huge maintenance costs, Biowells, Academies, Nodes, Arrays, Domes... Why in the world would anyone want the AI making these decisions for them? I don't understand folks who seem to want a game that plays itself.

What civ should really have is a 'planned improvement feature' where you can click on a tile and say what improvement you want there. Automated workers will then place that improvement when doing that tile (otherwise they use their judgement)
Or you could... y'know... move the Worker to the tile and tell it what to build.

Do you seriously automate your Workers? Or are you just playing Devil's Advocate here?

I do automate some of them (depending on game stage and strategy). Basically have them fill in territory and 'fine tune' it with manual workers.
More fun than telling workers to do what automated workers would do anyways.

When they place roads that does cause problems which is why BE Should have 'don't build roads/things with maintenance' option.

Late in the game you have wildly diverging choices including Manufactories with health penalties, Terrascapes with huge maintenance costs, Biowells, Academies, Nodes, Arrays, Domes.

Not to mention these things can take up to 15+ turns to build. Thats a lot of time or a work to be tied up.

Top Bottom