workers stopping work

Maybe ex-enemy units are taking with them some kind of 'can potentially attack tile x' flag which persists until the unit is destroyed? I can't play Civ 5 anymore due to this bug and have reinstalled Civ4. Pity because the original Cililization I played at about 10 years old, and have played and bought every one since. Been a fanboy in other words. I would even consider buying the DLC just to kill this bug if that's confirmed as a fix, but somehow it seems a bit dodgy just on principle. Not sure what Australian law has to say on patches that break gameplay but I have a support ticket in and will post back.

Quick postback - I will not be pursuing this support ticket any more. The problem is still not fixed but i can already see from the first few interactions that it would be countless hours of dissectting my own setup environments first (I play it on two PCs with the same results) even though the bug is massively unlikely to originate at this layer. It also looks like the only place where the problem will be identified with efficacy is this forum and I am extremely well impressed by the in-depth knowledge of members. Keep it up!

From my own experience the problem seems worse after making piece. My workers do not stop or run away when I'm at war and hostile units are right next to them! After making piece they'll start avoiding the areas where there WERE hostile units as well as areas where hostile units died (the later they avoid even at war).

Something is really amiss with the worker AI.

So I guess the solution is to buy G&K.

I wonder if the dev's reaction to this issue would have been different if the bug existed only in the expansion, and vanilla was fine.

I'm guessing the fix would have happened in 5 minutes, if the bug was hurting expansion sales, instead of helping sales.

Nah, I'm just being cynical.

No need to be cynical number51!

In other news I can definitely confirm that updating from Vanilla Retail DVD, to Gold Edition, fixes the bug. Bought the upgrade through Steam a month or so ago in the $5 special window and have played a couple of games without issue since.

I take it that the reason most of us are complaining about this issue is because we like to play an all conquering expansive type of game! I recently made an adjustment to my playing style with the intention of easing the problem and it seems to have worked pretty well.

I used to conquer my immediate neighbours ASAP and continue expanding, thus being at war with at least one oponent for the entire game. With this playing style it meant that I was capturing vast areas of land that had not been improved by workers.

Now. I am not going to war until 1/3 of the way through the game and when I do capture Cities the surrounding countryside is generally well improved.

Just to give some idea of the time scales involved.

1 - Pre bug = 15 hour game.
2 - Bug with normal playing style = 40 hour game.
3 - Bug with adjusted playing style = 20 hour game.

The extra time is now mainly caused by making road connections and I found that playing as Rome that time difference becomes negligable!

EDIT - The Pyramids have become the single most important Wonder.

Just chiming in here to discredit "conspiracies"...

I am running the latest version of the game with Gods & Kings installed and I also experience this bug, so it's not specific to vanilla installations of the game. The bug started after a barbarian unit came within three tiles of my worker, who was in the middle of a task. I sent a warrior to destroy the barbarian but the worker still needs to be reminded every turn what it's doing, despite there being absolutely no danger within sight of my city.

Just chiming in here to discredit "conspiracies"...

I am running the latest version of the game with Gods & Kings installed and I also experience this bug, so it's not specific to vanilla installations of the game. The bug started after a barbarian unit came within three tiles of my worker, who was in the middle of a task. I sent a warrior to destroy the barbarian but the worker still needs to be reminded every turn what it's doing, despite there being absolutely no danger within sight of my city.

Is it just that worker? Is it just in that area?

I ask because I have never experienced this bug so if this bug exist for both Vanilla and G&K then something that you do and I don't must be the key.

So of we are going to pinpoint this problem then we have to go through what the differences are.

I for example never automate (besides go to) a worker before appr. half the game (I think it is to important where and what my workers improve to let them "free"). I never use shortcuts for orders (I did in earlier civ versions, but not in Civ 5). I do have workers in the combat zone sometimes (behind my lines) but I try to guard them but If I don't have any soldiers to spare then I just accept that I have to give them orders each turn. I haven't use a mod since G&K.

At this point in the game this is my only worker, and it's operating within two tiles of my city. I never set my workers to automate. I've also had this problem crop up midgame in previous games, with multiple workers. I never figured out what was causing only some workers to be affected.

54 days since last post... workers still bug out after war erupts. I notice Firaxis keeps posting ads on Facebook to get the latest expansion. Make sure if you are still experiencing the worker bug that you take the time to leave a comment on the ad voicing your unhappiness over them not fixing old bugs while pushing new content out. Maybe if enough people complain where they are trying to sell products they will get off their butts and fix the bug.

I just got this bug the other day. Now I'm unable to get any uranium to get nukes! :(3

I just got this bug the other day. Now I'm unable to get any uranium to get nukes! :(3

You can get uranium, but you have to issue orders to build mines at the end of every turn until the mines are built.

My Workers appear to be forgetting their assigned construction task every turn. I have to go back to each Worker frequently and remind of what they should be doing. Has anyone encountered this problem? Thank you!

Moderator Action: Merged with related thread.

Are there barbarians nearby?

If there aren't any then it could be a bug. If there are, then they are giving you a chance to move out of harms way. There may be a bug that calculates harm more than a few turns away. You cannot see barbarians in the darker areas, that are not within a few tiles of your "border" of influence.

I'm confused that after 5 months people are still trying to figure out if this is a bug or not.

It is. Any tile on or around where combat takes place becomes a scary tile for workers. This is why workers will not work a conquered city. This is why your work force is disrupted even after you kill a barbarian in your territory. It is a huge annoyance and it has turned me off the game several times, which is a shame because I had enjoyed it for months prior.

I assumed it would be patched out within a few weeks but now have ultimately given up hope.

I refuse to buy the expansion until the bug is fixed. I do not want to run the risk of the expanded game carrying over the issue.

I had this same problem in every game I played for months. It was the most frustrating bug I've witnessed.

Here is what my setup was when I experienced the bug:

- I was using "Vanilla" Civ 5 which I purchased through Steam.
- I almost always used non-automated workers while playing.
- I don't think I had any DLC. The Mongol scenario was available to me, but I'm not sure if that is considered DLC that was included with my initial steam purchase or if it's a generic part of Vanilla. In either case, I hadn't noticed if the bug occurred while playing the Mongol scenario.

The bug was fixed when I purchased the G&K package (also through Steam). It came with the Smoky skies scenario, Into the Renaissance, Fall of Rome. I did not buy the "Gold" upgrade or Polynesian pack.

What I assume has happened is that this is a bug that was fixed before I bought G&K but the fix somehow only got pushed to the G&K code, and not to the Vanilla codebase. Even if I play in "Vanilla mode" now, I don't get the bug (at least I think I don't!) because my system is still using the G&K codebase.

To those experiencing the bug, I feel for you. Get yourself the G&K upgrade and save yourself some grief. I think it's horrible that you should have to pay for a bug fix, but I think it's your only option because this has been around for a very long time without the devs correcting it.

To those experiencing the bug, I feel for you. Get yourself the G&K upgrade and save yourself some grief. I think it's horrible that you should have to pay for a bug fix, but I think it's your only option because this has been around for a very long time without the devs correcting it.

I also have G&K and I can assure you that I am still experiencing the BUG when I play VANILLA!

Top Bottom