workers stopping work

The irrigate command is still referenced in Civ5, since the hotkey to construct a farm is I.

Very irritating bug. Pretty much ruins the game for me, and I really don't understand how they can't put a simple toggle for the workers to "Build and don't stop building no matter what, even if Genghis Khan himself is one tile away."

I have reproduced the bug in literally every game I have played so far since the 1.0.2.21 patch, at least a dozen games. There are probably more ways to generate this bug with barbarians or other oddities, but here is what I know for sure:

• Enemy goes to war with you
  • City-State near you is not, I repeat, NOT an ally of the enemy
  • This City-State in question is being PROTECTED by the enemy
  • The City-State units wandering around are causing the trouble
  • Peace or total destruction of the enemy doesn't change anything

Solution: destroy the City-State units that were nearby when your enemy declared war on you. You don't have to destroy the City-State but of course it will take a long time until it is neutral again, just kill a unit and see if it has fixed the problem, then make peace with them.

In my tests, if the City-State made new units, the problem did not return. Leaving the City-State at war or making peace with them changed nothing, you have to destroy those City-State units which the computer thinks are enemies.

This happens every game for me as well. Can't play since micromanaging every worker every turn is horrible.

It appears destroyed hostile units (barbs/enemies) aren't properly removed from the square they're on (invisible data flag?). My workers always stop near plots where I destroyed hostile units. Every game the same thing. Expanding trough war is now no longer possible for me. I have to turn off barbs as well if I wish to play at all.

This happens every game for me as well. Can't play since micromanaging every worker every turn is horrible.

It appears destroyed hostile units (barbs/enemies) aren't properly removed from the square they're on (invisible data flag?). My workers always stop near plots where I destroyed hostile units. Every game the same thing. Expanding trough war is now no longer possible for me. I have to turn off barbs as well if I wish to play at all.

So does this only happen to people who have automated their workers?

I mean, I have never seen this bug (with a little over 1000 hours played) and the only time I automate a worker is in the late game and even then I hardly do it.

Since the Firaxis don't fix this for you I mean perhaps it is time for us laymen to at least try to pinpoint the cause.

Even if I manually order them around. Anywhere near a plot where there used to be a hostile dead unit, they stop anything they do, as if they spotted them. Every turn I have to tell them again what to do. The only work around I've found now is to permanently keep a military unit on top of my workers in areas where enemy units died.

Edit: I'm running vanilla Civ5, don't have G&K or mods or DLC. I do however have minor changes to the base XML (simple data changes like increased culture from wonders)

Even if I manually order them around. Anywhere near a plot where there used to be a hostile dead unit, they stop anything they do, as if they spotted them. Every turn I have to tell them again what to do. The only work around I've found now is to permanently keep a military unit on top of my workers in areas where enemy units died.

Edit: I'm running vanilla Civ5, don't have G&K or mods or DLC. I do however have minor changes to the base XML (simple data changes like increased culture from wonders)

I have G&K and on my (current) computer I have not changed anything. I tested out some mods on my old computer but still I have never seen this bug and I do have a very varied playing style so I interact with other civs and city states both peacefully and violently or with other words I have done OCC with Ethiopia an also done it the hunnic way.

So this means that it is connected with "not having G&K" - strange
or
Connected to changing of files - less strange but still
or
Something completely different - strange, what could that be that for example I never do or have done but others have but no one of us has noticed?

VANILLA

So does this only happen to people who have automated their workers?

You may not notice with automated workers until late in the game at which point you will see many areas of unimproved land.

I mean, I have never seen this bug (with a little over 1000 hours played) and the only time I automate a worker is in the late game and even then I hardly do it.

I havn't played a large scale warmonger game since the end of October 2012. I have no desire to ever play again until this is sorted!

Since the Firaxis don't fix this for you I mean perhaps it is time for us laymen to at least try to pinpoint the cause.

This bug was caused at the time of release of a G&K hotfix, the vanilla game which worked fine previously has been ruined! There are enough ideas in this thread for the programmers to be looking at, but I am beginning to believe that their priorities lie elsewhere!

So this is a vanilla bug because of G&K then, what a bummer but that explains why I haven't seen it. As I said above, I have played almost every type of game quite a lot even though I play a civilized peaceful builder most of the time (at least I try) and have never seen it.

But if this happens only with Vanilla then at least the bug is pinpointed to that and a somewhat conspiracy theory based solution exists (buy and play G&K).

I don't have G&K. I think the bug came after a vanilla patch.

What I meant was it is a bug in vanilla but not in G&K. So in this case we have a breakthrough (or at least the devs have) what is wrong or when it happened.

If this is true, all who play vanilla and not have (perhaps also have but not use) G&K can experience this bug.

My "conspiracy theory" was about a little joke (hopefully a joke) that the devs know about this bug and also know that G&K will fix it so they don't have to cocentrate on fixing it since all it takes to fix it is to buy G&K.

This bug is beyond ******ed. It was introduced during a hotfix for an expansion that the effected players dont even have. Its been around for way too many months to not be fixed by now.

I used to play almost every day til this bug surfaced. Now I cant stand to play because at a certain point the constant re-issuing orders gets too tedious.

Chiming in with the same issue. Just bought Civ 5 and first game I play I "Ninja" the last city from under Oda Nabunga army ending Napoleons reign and as soon as I do that my workers cannot work by themselves. As far as I can tell he wasn't allied to any city-states and i'm not sure if it thinks my enemy is Oda Nabunga or some other city state?

They workers won't work anywhere on the map. No barbarians anywhere and i'm not at war with anyone. So annoying and quite frankly unplayable.

If it is so that those with vanilla only have this bug, then my little conspiracy joke becomes more a reflection than a joke. In that case, sad.

I'm having the same problem, so glad to know Im not alone. Posted this just now on another link or is taht a thread. This one seems mor to the point. Here it is -

I am new to this. hope someone is reading.

I give an order to a worker and he goes to work. Then after several turns the game says he is done. And although the screen makes it look like the job is completed, when you look at the city view or just have the cursor over the tile the production has not changed. If you go to the alternative view it seems to be showing the improvement as in progress. So I time after time tell the lilttle fellows to go back to the task. If I am persistent it then sometime finishes what shou;d be a long task THAT VERY TURN. This only happens when I'm well into the game. And it doesn't happen with each and every worker every time I set a task. I see no consistent pattern although they seem to balk/quit less often on improving roads to railroads. It definately is not just happening when I'm at war or there is an enemy unit nearby as I see people are suggesting in these posts.

this is with a downloaded version of the game from steam and the game launches steam whenever I start the game. Don't know if that is relevant. Anyway, I've contacted them and they've given me various tasks to do to no effect. Used to play versions 1-3 back when you just bought a disk and played it off your hard drive. Never had any problems.

Should i just consider the money i paid for this game was for naught or keep hoping the Civ people can eventually fix this. It is a big hassle to do all the things they tell me to do, since I'm an old codger and have to have my son's old school chum help me. And it is a big hassle and waste of time to take 10 or more turns to get a worker to do a relatively short task.

Sure was a great game until they improved it.

It appears that since it is not a problem for people who have purchased the expansions, Firaxis doesn't really care or is taking their sweet time getting around to a fix. I will not be buying any more Firaxis/Civ titles or the expansions until this bull is fixed (and I usually buy every expansion).

Could someone please to us if there is going to be a fix.

I still have years of learning to look forward to with the VANILLA game, why in hell would I want to play another game (they are very different), before I have attained a reasonable level at the one I enjoy?

I could go to the tactics forum and become a Grand Master over night, but we all have different personalities and I prefer to learn in my own time.

Please restore our game to it's former glory!

Holy crap this is so frustrating, most of my games I have to restart because civ X decides to declare war and gets a unit killed in my borders so my workers refuse to do any work ._.

Top Bottom