World History simulation videos using C2C

JJGarner

Chieftain
I've started uploading my C2C GEM hotseat simulation of the History of the World to youtube, as I mentioned in another thread. I've created 7 episodes so far, which takes it up to the great migration out of Africa circa 70,000BCE. I think this is enough to show the project is viable.

There will be no 'winner' - this is a simulation with options set for maximum flexibility so I can make things happen as they actually did (as far as we know). Each civ is in a holding pattern (idle, 0% science) until homo sapiens reaches each region. I hope to upload an episode a day except over Christmas.

The playlist is at
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXZDiCgzvJ9NJgDDK0Qy0cNq9TMp_SUAM

My thanks for the superbly detailed mod, which I've linked in every vid description.

-- Dr J.J.Garner, Ph.D. in dramatic historiography.

Just watched part 1. This is an enormous undertaking, but i'm excited to follow along.

One thing stood out to me from the beginning - excellent pointer control! It's so distracting to see a mouse pointer jumping all over the screen during a presentation like this

One thing stood out to me from the beginning - excellent pointer control! It's so distracting to see a mouse pointer jumping all over the screen during a presentation like this

Thanks - I guess slower is better. But concerning the overall pace, I've been editing more and more tightly as it goes on, cutting out parts that are repetitive or insignificant.

@JJGarner what do you think about tech tree and beginning of era dates?
I have both of them in link to tech tree.

There are inactive civs idling, that are "activated", when humans first appeared historically.
How do you update their techs to represent techs of humans, that migrated here?

@JJGarner what do you think about tech tree and beginning of era dates? ...
How do you update their techs to represent techs of humans, that migrated here?

Since the eras are tied to the gateway techs there are no era dates (as in Civ6) and this is good for my simulation. American tribes will hit Ancient much later than, say, Egypt.

When civs get restarted I'll be assuming the colonists, who have been traveling for some time, will have to catch up in techs. This effect will get less as time goes by, since the civs on 0% science will all slowly achieve the hunter-gatherer techs I set for them.

Since the eras are tied to the gateway techs there are no era dates (as in Civ6) and this is good for my simulation. American tribes will hit Ancient much later than, say, Egypt.

When civs get restarted I'll be assuming the colonists, who have been traveling for some time, will have to catch up in techs. This effect will get less as time goes by, since the civs on 0% science will all slowly achieve the hunter-gatherer techs I set for them.
Well I set calendar and globals in such way, that gateway techs have good chance of coincidence with target dates, for example Ancient era being reached at 6000 BC (This is very conservative date - I chose it from earlier calendar system, it slows down at 10 000 BC though).

C2C era time frames:
Prehistoric: 200 000 BCE - 6000 BCE
Ancient: 6000 BCE - 2000 BCE
Classical: 2000 BCE - 600 CE
Medieval: 600 CE - 1300 CE
Renaissance: 1300 CE - 1700 CE
Industrial: 1700 CE - 1900 CE
Modern: 1900 CE - 1990 CE
Information: 1990 CE - 2050 CE
Nanotech: 2050 CE - 2150 CE - Positive feedback loops in technological progression
Transhuman: 2150 CE - 2300 CE - Stronger positive feedback loops
Galactic: 2300 CE - 3000 CE - Faster than light travel gets involved at certian point
Cosmic: 3000 CE - 4000 CE - Time travel is a thing
Transcendent: 4000 CE - 6000 CE - Time is irrelevant, but reference frame is Earth.

My Egypt reached Sedentary Lifestyle too soon - around 45000 BCE, but without filling in all the prehistoric techs. For this reason, and so that Mesopotamia, India and China could catch up, I turned down Egypt's science. According to my research, Egypt should have Agriculture around -11000 and be able to build the great pyramids between -3000 and -2500. I'm also prioritizing each civ's unique culture and religion.

My Egypt reached Sedentary Lifestyle too soon - around 45000 BCE, but without filling in all the prehistoric techs. For this reason, and so that Mesopotamia, India and China could catch up, I turned down Egypt's science. According to my research, Egypt should have Agriculture around -11000 and be able to build the great pyramids between -3000 and -2500. I'm also prioritizing each civ's unique culture and religion.
You should use SVN - it has better balance + there is upscaled research cost option, that you can use - it affects everyone and can be changed in gglobals as you play.

Anyone still here? I've had a problem getting Egyptian culture into GEM Egypt. I have all the prerequisites: Ceremonial Burial, desert, floodplains, African culture, and stone listed as available in 2 cities. But Egyptian culture won't appear as an option, not even greyed out. There is a track to my stone source, but it's not in the fat cross. Is that the problem?

Is it missing from the list even when the BUG option to hide unconstructable buildings is unchecked?

Anyone still here? I've had a problem getting Egyptian culture into GEM Egypt. I have all the prerequisites: Ceremonial Burial, desert, floodplains, African culture, and stone listed as available in 2 cities. But Egyptian culture won't appear as an option, not even greyed out. There is a track to my stone source, but it's not in the fat cross. Is that the problem?
Yes - resources should be in vicinity for cultures to be buildable.

Thanks. The stone source is within the cultural borders. So does 'vicinity' have a fixed definition of 'fat cross' throughout the mod?
It kinda does. Vicinity is the reach of the city's workable plots with the exception of additional limitations that may exist due to Realistic Culture Spread. Sometimes, because the original workable range is defined in a more basic way in the code and vicinity turns to that basic definition to define a plot as being within it or not, you might have a resource a couple tiles out that you have in vicinity but cannot claim and work by the city. When the city reaches the point where culturally it CAN reach out and work the third rung of plots, the vicinity range expands to that third rung as well.

TERMINATION: Unfortunately, the program and mod proved unable to handle a hotseat game of 30 civs on this map size, once the number of settlements hit a certain level. Game hangs and graphics holocausts became constant while trying to make part 22 (circa 7500BCE). Getting a PC with more memory is not financially possible.

It's a great mod, and I'll be playing single-player for my own amusement for some time to come. The end of the youtube project is nobody's fault.

TERMINATION: Unfortunately, the program and mod proved unable to handle a hotseat game of 30 civs on this map size, once the number of settlements hit a certain level. Game hangs and graphics holocausts became constant while trying to make part 22 (circa 7500BCE). Getting a PC with more memory is not financially possible.

It's a great mod, and I'll be playing single-player for my own amusement for some time to come. The end of the youtube project is nobody's fault.
There are limitations in the core of the game processing that make it difficult past a point. We've found that turning down graphics settings to medium does help to lessen the Memory Allocation Failure crashes once they start hitting. Have done a few things with the program's data core to help there as well.

Thanks for doing what you could there.

Top Bottom