World War II in the Pacific

I have not played the scenario in PBEM yet, though I have played it in a simultaneous multiplayer game. Even with the bad Japan AI, I have to admit, it was fun. :)

One of the next big goals is to make the AI target specific cities in its invasions. I have already fiddled around with the target city value function in C++, so I can assign important areas (such as Singapore) higher values. This makes the AI head for them first. The only downside is that it's still hesitant to invade islands straightaway.

I'm also trying to figure out how to make carriers and battleships the primary targets of air bombardment. See here for more information on that.

Hi, this is my first time trying out a Civ IV Scenario. I have installed Civ 3 scenario's before, but this seems a bit different.

I managed to put it into the Warlord scenario folders. But when I load the game, it says automatically that I was defeated.

I figure I probably missed one of the files or put it into wrong location. Anybody had this kind of problem before?

Hi, this is my first time trying out a Civ IV Scenario. I have installed Civ 3 scenario's before, but this seems a bit different.

I managed to put it into the Warlord scenario folders. But when I load the game, it says automatically that I was defeated.

I figure I probably missed one of the files or put it into wrong location. Anybody had this kind of problem before?

You really need to learn to give more information if you want to be helped. "It crashed" really doesn't give us too much to go off of, let us know what version of Warlords you're running, what OS you're using, what specific directory you put it in, and really anything else you think would be helpful.

However, knowing other issues with this scenario, I think the most likely problems are.

1. You're using a Mac, it doesn't work for Macs.
2. Wrong version of Warlords, this only works with 2.08, so it won't work with the latest (or any other) patch.
3. You put it in the wrong folder, IIRC it should be Warlords/Mods, not Warlords/scenarios.
4. You downloaded the BtS version, not the Warlords one.

Check if it's any of those, and if not get back to us with SPECIFICS.

Sorry, chaps, but no one has shown any interest in assisting with the C++ coding for this project, and I don't have the time or skill to do it all on my own. The Civ AI is notoriously bad at naval combat, especially the carrier-based variety that was so vital to the Pacific War, and it needs major improvements. Among other things, we would have to rewrite the airstrike functions so that capital ships are specifically targeted during bombing. It is doable but time-consuming, and tricky if you're starting from scratch.

Hence, there doesn't seem to be much point in doing another version where the AI is abysmal. That's just no fun.

I agree about the AI ... it's stunningly deficient, and especially for naval combat. Rarely, if ever, does it do an amphibious attack and those are so useful in this scenario. And you are absolutely right about the air strike functions. It's amazing how Japan has all that power and does virtually nothing with it ... doesn't even take Singapore. That's true in all scenarios ... strong Civs simply do not attack aggressively and tend to pussyfoot around, fritter away forces, make peace when they can, and hibernate.

But this is a comment on Civ as a whole. The military AI is downright poor. Instead of improving it in successive editions they added religions, culture, civics, and corporations. If you choose a tougher playing level it does not imply stronger AI, just production, happiness, and research constraints when what one wants to see is smarter actions.

So, I don't blame you for not wanting to invest more time, though I would have liked a 3.17 version if nothing else. Unfortunately I am not a programmer and cannot help.

the new version your making is it for warlords 2.(whatever the newest is i forget) or beyond the sword 3.13? cuz i only have warlords

first, let me say that this mod ROCKS. it's probably my all time favorite, so thanks to GO for creating it. now, wondering if someone can help me with crashes. i've played this game a lot and never had problems. i fired up a new game yesterday and it crashed. rebooted everything started over, played a turn, and crashed again. i've started four games and each one has crashed at different times, with different units highlighted, etc. anyone having a similar problem or know what i might do to solve it? it's strange to me since i've played it a lot and only just now have i started to have problems.

tranceboy ... I am going to guess that you've installed BtS 3.17 and that would be why this scenario suddenly does not work for you. You'd have to go back to 3.13. I agree that this is one of the all-time great scenarios. It's a pity nobody was able to help Gaius update and extend it. It did indeed suffer from the underlying AI limitations of Civ, which I continue to believe could be rectified.

hi farrapo and thanks for the recomendation. i'm actually using warlord, so i uninstalled it and reinstalled it (so there wouldn't be a patch). still didn't work. i have the graphics on the lowest setting in the game itself, plus have lowered them on my video card to the minimum necessary to run the game. still nothing. any other ideas? i'm seriously at a loss!:sad:

Okay this is the second civ4 download i have tried. THe first worked fine but it didn't have any python or any thing in it. So this is the first oen i have tried with that. My problem is that when i try to start the game (by clicking on the WWII in the Pafic icon in the public maps folder) it loads up and lets me pick a civ then starts the game but when it finishes loading it pops up and says TXT WW2 Defeat or something along those lines. Now i think i changed something in the Civ4 configure file from enable python pop ups from 1 to 0 or the other way around. So please excuse me if what my problem is is totally newbish but i have search for about adn hour and a half now for a solution and haven't found one so please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also excuse my spelling i typed this in about a minute and a half.

Thanks,
wild

Wild ... are you running BtS and if so what patch level? The error you are getting sounds like what happens if you attempt to execute this mod on BtS 3.17, for which it has not been adapted. Under 3.13 it should run fine.

well i'm pretty sure that its warlords but i really have Civ 4 gold which from what i understand comes with Regural Civ 4 and Warlords. But i have also found that when i try to run the patch for warlords or regular civ that it says there isn't any version of that game on my computer. Now i know its there cause i went and bought the game from Wal-Mart but i think it may have to do with the fact that i'm running it or Windows vista 64 bit and when i installed it put it in C/Program Files(86x)/2k games/fraxis/ civ4 etc. not the regular Program files folder cause i have on of those too.

Thanks but i fixed it by moving the entire file folder to the right place and giving it the right directory and everything

Thanks for the help,

wild

This is such an impressive mod. My salutations to the creators.

It's just unfortunate, I think the last posts on this page really symbolize the downfall of this mod and indeed all good mods in civ4. That being that the AI, in the end, is just to stupid and is the most fundamental reason that these mods get ruined. It's impossible to fully enjoy a scenario like this for any replayable length of time with the AI being so stupid. It ruins everything. It's actually impossible to enjoy it at all after a while. What is a mod with a stupid AI? it's gonna end up being nothing and its up to the creators of civ to improve it.

I really hope this is the main issue addressed in civ5, the AI is arguably the most crucial and fundamental thing in these games, and they never really do much to improve it. Right from civ1 to civ4 the AI has been terrible and this game is dominantly a single player game.

True, although multiplayer games can be quite fun ... except that you have to deal with a whole lot of whining sometimes.

there must be a way to modd AIs programming to make them more likly to use sea assults

Hey, I'd like to thank you, Gaius Octavius for making this for civ4. This scenario was my absolute favorite thing about the civilization series, and I'm glad that it has received the update it rightfully deserves.

Top Bottom