Worldbuilder map - all civs are starting together?

Bringa

King
So I made a map in Worldbuilder, but whenever I play it, all civs seem to start right next to each other. I googled around a little and the only thing I found was this: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?108317-MOD-Maps-Random-Start-Position

This doesn't seem to be related as it's talking about maps where start positions have been defined. I don't want to have to define any civs or starting positions on my map. Is that possible? What am I doing wrong?

do you have enough potential good spot for cities on your map ? (near river, resources, etc...)

I've seen this kind of placement when beta testing maps that I'd just started to make without random resources, and all civs were starting at the better place then.

Yeah, the map is pretty resource rich. I based it on a Inland Sea map with Abundant resources. There's plenty of really, really good spots.

It's not just resources it's also the different yields in Ring 1 and Ring 2 that determin city placement. Contributing factors are also continent "number", bias as required by the choosen civ and distance FROM the player(s) - the game wants you to go to war, so will tend to give you neighbours.

For any given map the game will always choose the same starting positions if none are defined - it's a fixed algorithm after all. Where you start in that fixed set, and where others start is only really determined by start biases.

If you want your Civs in different locations, mark all the "really good" starting positions on the map, and then use the "Maps - Random Starting Positions" mod to mix things up (a bit)

I wouldn't mind starting near a neighbour, but what I'm talking about is an actual bug. As in, the 6 civilization on the map literally start with their six settlers and warriors in adjacent tiles. And it's a 74x44 size map.

To "mark" starting positions I have to add civilizations through the scenario dialog, right?

No, you just need to select the starting hex, then in the Map Editor Tools select the Edit Plot tab, and then down the bottom change the Start Position to either "Random Player" (major civ) or "Random City State" (minor civ)

Awesome, thanks! Didn't see those options at first.

Top Bottom