Worst UU

Civ4 and its rock/paper/scissors is still more balanced than its predecessor (where you had only offensive (swords/longbows/medieval infantry/marines), defensive (spears/pikes/rifles/infantry/paratroopers) and fast moving units (horses/knights/cavalry/tanks)) and its successor (where the ai can't even play the game due to 1 UPT and hexes).

Oh I agree, Civ 4's combat is better than 3's (although I like the artillery in 3 better, but apparently the AI "couldn't handle it"...pfft, whatever, I'm sure a non-lazy programmer could handle it) and 5....ugh....

The Simtex games (Master of Orion and Master of Magic) are both fantastic examples of high-quality 4X games with engaging tactical battles.

Even if it did have enough hexes I just don't see the appeal. I don't get why people would want to play a hybrid of stratego and Civilization.

While it might not "feel" like civilization, if such a hybrid were well made it could be fun and have a lot of replay value. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with that. Unfortunately, V was not well made.

A turn based tactical game with hexes and all that really would have to be its own game - where the tactical battles were the main forcus of the game. Trying to put that into a game of Civ was a very stupid idea.

A truly balanced coverage of economy and war tactics would be great. There is some bias against calling it "civ" I suppose.

It would be like taking a game like Grand Theft Auto, and trying to hybridize it with The Sims, where you're a character going around killing people, robbing, looting, car jacking, shooting up the cops, and then at the same time you have to answer your phone when your buddy calls and go play pool with him...oh wait...

:D. You forgot about how you could get a children's playground swing set to LAUNCH you and your car impossibly long distances for no reason whatsoever.

I believe GTA accomplished what it set out to do, however, which makes comparing it to civ V a little harsh on GTA ^_^.

GTA is a blockbuster title, one of the most successful franchises in video game history, and I've loved it since Vice City, but I was referring specifically to the changes in 4 when they added the whole friendship aspect of the game. You had to drop whatever it was you were doing and go play darts with your friend when he called or else he would eventually hate you and not even take your calls anymore. It was very poorly implemented, but at least they were smart enough that they didn't make it a major part of the game, one could easily beat the game without having any friends, as I did :)

GTA is a blockbuster title, one of the most successful franchises in video game history, and I've loved it since Vice City, but I was referring specifically to the changes in 4 when they added the whole friendship aspect of the game. You had to drop whatever it was you were doing and go play darts with your friend when he called or else he would eventually hate you and not even take your calls anymore. It was very poorly implemented, but at least they were smart enough that they didn't make it a major part of the game, one could easily beat the game without having any friends, as I did :)

Yeah it would have been better if the mini games weren't so terrible. Darts, pool, and bowling were all crappy and boring. What they needed was "Hey Niko, it's Roman. Wanna go steal cars and shoot hookers?" That's a mini game I could get behind.

Top Bottom