Votes: 11 8.1%
  • Marco Polo's

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • King Richard's

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • Shakespeares Theatre

Votes: 18 13.2%

• Total voters
This was discussed extensively a while back. The correct ;) answer is of course the Great Library because the increased research time due to the carrrying cost of unwanted techs will kill your ability to focus and direct your research on desired techs.

However, this poll is seriously flawed because it doesn't have Manhattan Project(dangerous) or Eiffel Tower(useless) as options. Those two would probably run neck-and-neck for my second choice.

Amusing - you left the Oracle OUT of the Ancient group; Mike's out of the Midieval group (no issues there); only Bach and Leo represented from the Industrial group (hmm: Eiffel? AdamSmith? Darwin?); and nothing from the Modern group (Manhattan? UN?). Was that deliberate? Did you want us to choose the least useful of a group of good ones? Well, I guess I can't say that because you left the GreatLibrary, Pyramids and the GreatWall in there...

None of those listed; I've seen games where the Oracle expired before being built -- in fact, I think that I've only seen one or two other wonders expired ever.

Eiffel & Manhatten are hard to justify. I've never built a police station & the need to Woman's Suffrage is very small -- almost nil even in Democracy. Rehome the units to size two "production" cities and have JSB -- what unhappiness problem? Bloodthirsty play has very little use for Apollo (600 shields for a map?) OCC (one city) won't get a lot of value out of JSB, Pyramids, Cfc, etc.

Most of the wonders are nice, very nice, or terrific -- so I'll try to build most of them.

Great Library is a terrific wonder -- especially for four player multiplayer (say 4) games. It is also "nice" for newbies. Once a player discovers the value of trade, GL's luster fades.

For the wonders here, it was a tie between HG and Great Wall. I find it odd that I used to really like them both. Wonders also have different usefulnesses on different levels.

I agree with the earlier posters who noted that some of the worst wonders aren't given as options. Having read Solo's EL guide :salute: , I am a big fan of Shakespeare and Hanging Gardens and would refer anyone who voted for these to Apolyton for retraining.

i think that lighthouse project is the worst cos it gives the least, i dont know why u choose wall... cos when u war much it's very usefull in the begining

I chose Great Wall because I never build walls, I just but a few good defense units in each city and call it a day.

I'm not sure about what wonder really is the worst. Usually I try to keep to only one continent, and when I begin to trade, I usually have caravels, or I trade with myself. But the one extra movement point can come in handy... until Magellan's.

I think the worst wonder is Leonado's. It gives the possessor a real advantage that is almost impossible to overcome. Especially in multi-player.

That makes it a good wonder. This is not a thread that discusses the "balance" of the wonders. Wonders are supossed to unballance the game.

Magellan's Expedition. I never use ships unless it is triremes early on. But by then they are obsolete.

I would have to agree with TimTheEnchanter and say the Eiffel Tower and the Manhattan Project both of which are not on this list. I was distressed to see The Great Wall was unfortunately winning this contest. I think used properly it is a great wonder

It depends on the type and style of game that you play.

If you play an OCC then such wonders like Pyramids are completly useless.

On the other hand if you play like "Ace" (with 175 + cities) then the "one-city-wonders" (the ones that only affect the city they are buil in) are the "useless" wonders.

Then I also agree that the Manhattan project is to dangerous, *I* do have the brains to manage nukes, its *others* I dont trust having nukes.

Ahh, the memories... In the original debate about this issue, I took the side of how great the Great Library was and that was how I learned how much I do not know about CivII!

@O'n'S: I seem to remember a post (Starlifter's, perhaps) which explain how you could have up to a size 5 production city which would not suffer unhappiness, regardless our units-in-the-field.

Oh, by the way, Manhattan Project. The only Wonder which helps the opposition just as much as the civ which builds it. If you call that help...

I picked great wall because when it is available I am usually preoccupied with other things. That and it expires usually right after it gets built.

Ok, I said Copernicus' Observatory, because in an Empire with so many cities (like 100) one city producing 50% more beakers doesn't make any difference.

Sounds like you need to try the One City Challenge - you will never feel the need for so many cities again...

Top Bottom