Would you like to upgrade your unit's equipment, without having to upgrade the unit?

Mitsarakos

Chieftain
Would you like to upgrade your unit's equipment (weapons, clothes, shoes, protection), without having to upgrade the unit, until you have the opportunity to upgrade the unit itself?

Not sure I understand you...

I mean, upgrading a unit, means changing the unit with another. Ok? Then, it is nomore an archer, but a longarcher for example. But what if one wants to have better archers, without having the tech to upgrading them to longarchers? Then they would have to attack or to be attacked, but so they would put themsenves in danger. Having the opportunit to get new weapons for (say archers or other units) would be a safe upgrade.

No. Some games have that feature like Galactic CivilizationsII and the upcoming Elemental - also a Stardock title. It is fine for those games, but Civ is less about these details and more about the overall picture. To me it would make things way more complicated than they need to be. Let archers be archers and longbows be longbows rather than having archers with Stellar OMGish bowstrings 2000BC(tm) that are better than 'just archers.'

To me it would make things way more complicated than they need to be.

Absolutely. The unit type is what determines their equipment. We don't need "swordsmen with sharp swords" and "swordsmen with bigger shields" and so forth.

Units are meant to represent historic archetypes (macemen are a medieval heavy infantry unit, for example) not just narrow settings.

To specialize units, use the promotion system.

Yeah I agree with shurdus and ahriman, civ is more about the big picture then the narrow picture this would involve

I am all for making promotions being more visible to make it easier to see what unit has what, especially if there is no more stacking. But I rather have it be red cross symbol for medic promotions, larger shields for defense promotions, camo for woodman promotion. Also, make the SAM-infantry unit a promotion rather than a whole class since could be explained with the anti-air promotion. Ditto for the anti-tank and ambush promotion.

If anyone here has been tracking Elemental (the upcoming stardock game) they're having a feature like that in the game and it looks like it'll fit the game perfectly.

However for Civilization 5 I don't think that sort of feature really belongs. Combat promotions alone are enough to give players the opportunity to create varied strategic armies.

I am all for making promotions being more visible to make it easier to see what unit has what, especially if there is no more stacking. But I rather have it be red cross symbol for medic promotions, larger shields for defense promotions, camo for woodman promotion. Also, make the SAM-infantry unit a promotion rather than a whole class since could be explained with the anti-air promotion. Ditto for the anti-tank and ambush promotion.

Yes, I agree strongly with this, I always thought it silly to have SAM infantry as a seperate class, don't mind anti-tank as much.
offtopic: Who makes elemental?

Maybe a mod will come out with it; for example FFH modmods had those, and it worked very well

This is open to interpretation. I strongly disliked the purchaseable equipment. The AI didnt' understand it, and the promotions were very MM intensive, and didn't really make the units more interesting by changing their role at all.

offtopic: Who makes elemental?
Stardock

Mithril Weapons shouldn't be applied to all units but should have to be purchased, and perhaps only for Tier IV units.

I think equipment upgrade is the same as unit upgrade, just giving the soldier better equipment and making it a new "unit".

i think for some types of units some upgrades should be equipment upgrades, like for an infantry unit and maybe if you have barracks built and you produce an infantry unit it should be able to get an upgrade like "higher caliber bullet" which gives it a bonus like +25% strength. After you win enough battles you can get like woodsman or combat or those upgrades. The same system could apply to other units as well.

i think for some types of units some upgrades should be equipment upgrades, like for an infantry unit and maybe if you have barracks built and you produce an infantry unit it should be able to get an upgrade like "higher caliber bullet" which gives it a bonus like +25% strength. After you win enough battles you can get like woodsman or combat or those upgrades. The same system could apply to other units as well.

The normal Civ4 promotion system does this just fine.
Generic promotions make far more sense, particularly when they're on units that might get upgraded from axemen through to mechanized infantry.

Hmm, when I come to think of it, maybe its a good idea for the main game. Remember Civ 5 has way (IIRC) less units, so I cant see micro becoming a problem. AI might have some problems with it though

Would you like to upgrade your unit's equipment (weapons, clothes, shoes, protection), without having to upgrade the unit, until you have the opportunity to upgrade the unit itself?

To me it depends on how its implemented: Probably I would kinda like to "upgrade" archery units with better bows (hunting bow -->> Hunter, bow -->> standard archer, composite bow -->> composite bowmen, longbow -->> longbowmen, crossbow... etc.) or equip them wirth horses (--->> mounted archer).

But I would dislike to equipe an archery unit with an motor vehicle finaly or even with some flying vihicle. I also would dislike switching an archery unit to mele unit just by equipe them with swords instead of bows for example. So there should ... must be restrictions, then it may become fine.

Top Bottom