1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

WW2 Unit Graphics

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by Arthedain, Jan 24, 2011.

1. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

Has Fairline produced one yet?

2. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Pffffft! You should only get your news from the most trustworthy news source on the planet.
    https://www.theonion.com/

edit:dangit! forgot to add the quotes....

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    McMonkey likes this.
  3. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

The better option is to ignore all news media. That's what I have done since 2017.

McMonkey likes this.
  4. Fairline

Fairline Chieftain

I can't believe I've not drawn a Lada yet. How about this beauty?

lada,-tank,-armored-vehicle-137935.jpg

McMonkey and Thorvald of Lym like this.
  5. Fairline

Fairline Chieftain

Channel 4 news is decent and when it comes to news about whichever middle-eastern country Britain and the US are currently dropping bombs on Al Jazeera (!) is a far more informative source than the Beeb.

techumseh and CurtSibling like this.
  6. Patine

Patine Warlord

I always like the Korean State News Agency, Pravda, and Xinhua for fun reading...

7. Fairline

Fairline Chieftain

pfff you really are susceptible to to some lazy propaganda if you think Al Jazeera is akin to Pravda and the Korean State News Agency Patine. Maybe Fox News is more your thing?

8. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

The concept of being told by corporate slimeballs what is going on in the world is increasingly silly.

9. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

I'm absolutely a small government, conservative person but if these past 20 years or so have taught me nothing else, it's that our public radio, television, and schools are absolutely vital to the Republic. The extent to which the privately-owned media is influenced by the need for ratings, and the sensationalism that they vomit daily because of it, is outrageous.

I don't know if there's really "fake news," but news blown totally out of proportion to earn a click? That happens every single day.

Anyway.... Anyone want to draw those radar sets and v-weapon launch sites :)

McMonkey and CurtSibling like this.
  10. committed hero

committed hero Chieftain

Have any of our esteemed artists made a ZSU-37? Mine is a horrible mashup child of fairline and Broken Erika - the gun on fairline's SU-76 is right over the inside of the tread, so I can't tell what's what.

Attached Files:

11. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Warlord

Long overdue, these three... right?

FAA Sea Hurricane and Seafire.

Attached Files:

12. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Warlord

Commonwealth Curtiss Mohawks, East Africa, India, Burma
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_P-36_Hawk
    229 ex-French or French ordered machines:
    • Hawk 75A-1 - French export version, British aircraft designation Mohawk I
    • Hawk 75A-2 - French export version, British aircraft designation Mohawk II
    • Hawk 75A-3 - French export version, British aircraft designation Mohawk III
    • Sixty reached France, some went to French Morocco and twenty were taken over by the RAF. These aircraft were given British equipment and the designation Mohawk III.
    • Hawk 75A-4 - French export version, British aircraft designation Mohawk IV
    • Hawk 75A-5 - built under license in China, production was later relocated to India, incorporated into the RAF as Mohawk IV
    • Hawk 75A-9 - ten aircraft for Persia , captured in their boxes by the British and used by the RAF in India as Mohawk IV
    • A total of 284 aircraft were completed to the IV specification. Of these aircraft six reached France, four were lost at sea and twenty three were sent to Martinique, where they sat out the war. This left 251 that were taken over by the RAF, given British equipment and the designation Mohawk IV. They were joined by ten H75A-9s built for Persia, and at least six H75A-5s that were to have been built under licence in China but that were actually completed in India. This gives a total of 266 aircraft, although RAF records suggest that there were a total of 278 Mohawk IVs. A number were given to Portugal, and more to the South Africa Air Force, but a significant number did see service with the RAF, operating over Burma from bases in India.
    • SAAF received 72 Mohawk, deliered to the East African theatre mid-1941. They took part in ousting the Italians from Somalia and Ethiopia and guarding against Vichy French forces in Djibuti.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    gapetit and Thorvald of Lym like this.
  13. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Warlord

Argentina, 1940-1954 simplified version for Argentina, 29 built by Curtiss, plus 20 license built by Fabrica Militar de Aviones.
    Norway 1940-1941 19 undelivered A-6 and 36 new A-8 units in "Little Norway" Ontario, Canada.
    13 A-6s captured by the Nazis were sent to Finland (the rest of the 44 Finn Hawks were ex-French).
    Peru, 1943 28 ex Norwegian units, sold as P36G
    China, M - Simplified version for China, built by Curtiss and in China. A-5, some were originally built under license in China. Production was later relocated to India and those were incorporated into the RAF as Mohawk IV
    Netherlands. A-7- Dutch export version, in 1940 diverted to the Dutch East Indies after the German occupation of the Netherlands, all 20 aircraft were destroyed by Japanese in 1942
    Brazil, In March 1942, ten USAAC P-36A were transferred to Brazil. I found out that all Brazilian Hawks were kept for home defense as they anticipated an axis invasion from N.Africa...
    Thailand, N - simplified version for Siam, 12 units 1937-1949
    Portugal, In 1941 12 ex RAF Mohawks were given to Portugal and stationed in the Azores.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    gapetit and Thorvald of Lym like this.
  14. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Warlord

Curtiss P40 Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Warhawk.
    Note: The Brazilian star was made by Typhooon
    Commonwealth colours. (RAF RCAF RAAF RNZAF) RSAAF were in desert colours only.
    RAAF in pacific theatre colours after 1942.
    Brazilian air force 1942-1954. The last user of the type.
    Egyptian air force 1943. These wer ex-RAF
    Chinese air force Chinese-American Composite wing that superceeded the American Volunteer Group (the Flying Tigers) in 1943. China received 27 P-40E in early 1943.
    Dutch East Indies air force 1944
    Turkish air force 1941-1947
    Free French 1943
    RNZAF 1944
    USAAF by year and theatre (The AVG in China switched to US markings in 4th July 1942 as they were inducted into the USAAF as the 23rd fighter group).

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  15. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Warlord

P40 1938 Prototype
    Canadian P40N (rare metal finish)
    Brazilian, New Zealander and Dutch East Indies post war.
    Soviet Leningrad front.

Attached Files:

Thorvald of Lym and JPetroski like this.
  16. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

Great work, Tanelorn!

Not to ask for stuff that may never see the light of day, as I'm not sure if I'll ever make one, but it would be great to see the Pacific plane set fleshed out greater. Yeah, many of the American birds have similar color schemes, but there's a big difference between the F4U-1 with the birdcage and later models. Also, if someone was to try making a WW2 Pacific theatre scenario, they would look for a few different variants perhaps to flesh this gas out (the -1, -1A, -1D possibly with and without rockets and bombs attached, and the -4 to start).

I'd love to one day make or see someone else make a few WW2 scenarios in the Pacific. Operation Downfall would seem to be an interesting topic, much like @techumseh 's Sea Lion.

Anyway, as Patine once basically said... "If you're on a roll and having fun..."

17. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Warlord

18. Patine

Patine Warlord

Actually, a WW2 Pacific Scenario was my first real go at a major ToT project, and the only one of mine that got playtesting by AGRICOLA. It just happened Korea got finished first. I have all the old resources and files, and a collection of @Tanelorn, @Fairline, and @typhoon353 graphics I'd squiraled away separately from my general graphics threads downloads for an eventual return, expansion, and finishing - and did fully plan to return to it and expand it someday. Perhaps I'll bump it up on my priority, especially if you'd be interesting in collaborating on it.

19. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Warlord

@JPetroski Anyway, these are the ones I chose. The top row, F4U-1. The light blue camo signifies early production airframes. the tri-colour later ones. VF-17 was an early adopter of the scheme. National markings evolved as well. The sea blue one to my knowledge isn't real, but I had made it nontheless. F4U-1As kept the tri-colour camo but switched to the bubble canopy. Later models all came in variations of the deep sea blue. For example the yellow cowling marks raiders of Tokyo, the fin markings different carrier groups.

Attached Files:

typhoon353 and Thorvald of Lym like this.
  20. Patine

Patine Warlord

You've got more F4U-1's than Nimitz! Great work!