[XML+GRAPHICS MODCOMP] Era-Specific Fishing Boats

sepamu92

Prince
EDIT as of July 24, 2007 with Medieval and Industrial art - Thanks to GeneralMatt for the paddleboat

I didn't know whether this should be posted here, or in the Graphics forum... but I figured since it includes XML I'd post it here.

You know those little boats that appear in your sea tiles when you have citizens working there? Isn't it annoying how, in the later ages of the game, all your improvements change to more modern versions except for the fishing boats? Well, here is a mod that upgrades the graphics for these boats in Medieval and Industrial ages. It's a small modcomp, but I feel it adds some more flavor to the late game :)

This mod includes one XML file and two art folders. If you wish to include these in your own game, copy/paste these into the respective Custom Assets folder. To make it easier for modders who wish to add this to their own game I have included [ <!-- !@#$ NEW $#@! --> ] at the beginning of the changes I made in the XML and [ <!-- !@#$ END $#@! --> ] at the end. To use just one of the boat-styles in a specific scenario, just remove the "_medieval" or "_modern" at the end of the workboat and the net .nif files.

Screenshots:
Spoiler :

Ancient-Classical

Medieval

Renaissance

Industrial

Modern-Future

Download at File Database!

Sepamu, I suspect there's a minor bug in your code here. The Medieval Era seems to be missing in your minimod? (the part I marked red in the quote, I added it here for clarity)

<!-- whale -->
<ArtRef Name="goal:IMPROVEMENT_WHALING_BOATS">
<Attribute Class="Improvement">IMPROVEMENT_WHALING_BOATS</Attribute>
<Attribute Class="Era">ERA_ANCIENT,ERA_CLASSICAL,ERA_MEDIEVAL,ERA_RENAISSANCE</Attribute>
<Attribute Class="Scalar">bIsPartOfImprovement:1</Attribute>
<Attribute Class="Scalar">bApplyRotation:1</Attribute>
</ArtRef>

Sepamu, I suspect there's a minor bug in your code here. The Medieval Era seems to be missing in your minimod? (the part I marked red in the quote, I added it here for clarity)

Well, I didn't change anything for the Whaling boat - that piece is in fact missing in the vanilla game's coding too. There aren't any problems with this in-game, as far as I know. If you find any post and tell about it.

Looks great! My only criticism would be that the medieval boat looks too European for the Asian civs.
Yes that's true, although I don't know if it's possible to code in ethnic improvements.
Does this include the modern harbour graphics that come with the game? Or were they coded with Warlords? (I forget :crazyeye:)
I'm pretty sure it comes with the vanilla game.

Yes that's true, although I don't know if it's possible to code in ethnic improvements.

Land improvements and water improvements are essentially the same in the code. If you can make ethnic Cottage/Hamlet/Village/Town improvements (which was introduced in Warlords), you should be able to make water improvements that do the same. Certainly with the real water improvements if not with the graphical only worked tile "improvements".

Wow this is awesome!
Land improvements and water improvements are essentially the same in the code. If you can make ethnic Cottage/Hamlet/Village/Town improvements (which was introduced in Warlords), you should be able to make water improvements that do the same. Certainly with the real water improvements if not with the graphical only worked tile "improvements".

Hmm, I'll have to look into it more.

Is the second picture from the medieval or renaissance era? I only ask because those vessels look like they are from the late 18th century.

If you figured out a way to add a graphics era for the Renaissance though, great job. Hopefully someone can get the warlord to stop looking so medieval during the Renaissance and Industrial Age then.

Hmm, I'll have to look into it more.

I think all that is needed is to put an era tag in the improvement codeblock, copy it and rename it to the ethnic art+change to the artstyle.

And as for art, I think I downloaded a caravel with an asian-style sail in the past. Since for water improvements you'll need to decrease the size of the model, from afar it would sure look like a fishing-junk.
That leaves of course a whole lot of other artstyles. ;) I'll take a look if its still on my harddrive.

Cool Sepamu, you know their are two other Improvements that don't change Waterwheel and Workshops, They could really use some improvement :rolleyes: I think some think that looks like a power plant with cooling towers for the waterwheels and a Factory for the Workshop would be good.

Is the second picture from the medieval or renaissance era? I only ask because those vessels look like they are from the late 18th century.
Well that one is for the Medieval and Renaissance eras, but I think I may make a different one for the Medieval age.
Impaler[WrG];5697625 said:
Cool Sepamu, you know their are two other Improvements that don't change Waterwheel and Workshops, They could really use some improvement :rolleyes: I think some think that looks like a power plant with cooling towers for the waterwheels and a Factory for the Workshop would be good.
Good idea, I'll see what I can do.

Impaler[WrG];5697625 said:

C'mon now... the waterwheel should obviously look like a hydroelectric dam. The mechanics are essentially the same.

Top Bottom