You can culturally aquire Goody Huts!?!

docceh

Iron Maiden Fan!
In my current game, I decided to go for culture. there was a small (3 square) island off my main island with a goody hut on it. I didn't, however, have Galleys yet.

To my surprise, the Goody Hut did a culture flip and became one of my cities!! I didn't know that htis could happen....has anyone else seen this?

-docceh :king:

When your cultural borders expand over goody huts, they automatically reveal whatever it is they contain. In your case, it was one of those 'advanced tribes'.

Esentially, goody huts can't exist within cultural borders.

Happens all the time to me, can't understand how you didn't pick up on it.

You can also disperse rebel camps if they fall into your city radius, although this may only be on cheiftain.

Harumph!!!

I never get any "Advanced tribes" out of the Goody huts in Civ 3, but I almost always get them in Civ 2. Whats up with that? Do I have to play on a certain difficulty level to activate "Advanced tribe goody huts" ??? [punch] :satan: :groucho:

Errrrrmmmm, excuse me Docceh, but how long have you been playing??? I've had that happen from day one how did you not notice before? Pretty cool though that you could get an island city befor map making!

Originally posted by Dell19
You can also disperse rebel camps if they fall into your city radius, although this may only be on cheiftain.

Yep just had this happen in my present game. I was wondering why it had said I had dispersed the rebel camp. It was an island city aways from my main cities, so it did not have sufficient combat units to disperse the camp. Made me very happy when the problem took care of itself (still had two barbarians running around, but they were no problem for my defender). BTW that was on regent.

Originally posted by Mozenwrath
Errrrrmmmm, excuse me Docceh, but how long have you been playing??? I've had that happen from day one how did you not notice before? Pretty cool though that you could get an island city befor map making!

Since the game came out, I ALWAYS send out a unit to investigate goody huts, and before this experience i have NEVER aquired an advanced tribe in CIv3 from a goody hut.

I was just taken aback by the fact that the advisor came up and said that the "city" had flipped to my culture as if it belonged to another Civ (which it 100% definately did not!).

A goody hut became an actual city? It didn't just give you a settler? How...odd.

Originally posted by docceh

I was just taken aback by the fact that the advisor came up and said that the "city" had flipped to my culture as if it belonged to another Civ.

Can I take it from your wording that your borders hadn't actually expanded over the "goody hut" yet when you got the message?

when my border expand over a goody hut, I always cringe - 10:1 it`s barbarians. Never have I even gotten a tech - at best 25 gold!

I rarely, and then only early in the game, get settlers from good huts. never advanced tribes. But I`ve seen a game after action replay where the Japanese "founded" 6 cities within the first 8 turns. even on deity there`s no way to do that without at least 5 goody huts!!!!!

edit: I meant 6 additional cities, making it 1 capital + 1from 2nd settler + 5 out of nowhere....

Wow - I didn't know that could happen - well, I've usually been out and exploring and cleared my area of goody huts before that happens...

Once I started my first city next to a goody hut. Barbs came out, killed my worker, and then pillaged my city of nothing. Needless to say,I reloaded.

It definately gave me a city and not a settler.

The advisor came up with the old "Sire, the citizens of Byzantine (i think thats it) have blah blah blah.."

Didn't get a settler, and I am 90% sure that my borders did not overlap the goody hut.

I was definately a goody hut.

I'll see if I can find the save game...

Is there any chance at all that the Romans put a settler on that island, investigated the goody hut, and founded a city, which flipped to you immediately, all in a single turn?

I've never seen an advanced tribe in Civ3. Settlers, yes, but cities, never. Also, "Byzantium" is a Roman city name, barbarians don't even have city names, and there aren't any Byzantine barbarians (unless you modded the game). And goody huts don't open unless your borders encompass them or if someone puts a unit on them.

I thnk it might be possible that the Romans came by and made a city that flipped to you while you weren't looking (i.e., between turns).

Sorry DOCCEH, didn't realise that the advisor said it was a rebellion thing. I think I've had advanced tribes from huts before but maybe it's my imagination. As for your Byzantium affair, maybe it's a bug, otherwise, I think Salvor's explanation is the only one.

Sorry, my mistake, the town is called Elephantine, which is an Egptian town name. There is no chance, and i mean no chance that any Civ planted a settler there and the city flipped in one turn. It was VERY early in the game and way before map making. I was also the most advanced civ and I didn't have map making.

The solid yellow lines show the borders of Memphis at the time the goody hut flipped. I was the cultural leader of the game if this helps.

I have attached the screenshot of the area, however this was taken in 1810 AD and is years past the time that the Goody Hut flipped.

-docceh :king: :egypt:

Attachments

• goodyflip.jpg
    goodyflip.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 377
docceh: I`ve thought again about playing MP with you! :D Someone who is that lucky.........

but it seems your luck is distributable: yesterday my capitals radius expanded over a hut - and I got a settler! STRIKE! That`s the first time this ever happened! So do tell me more about good things happening to you :D

How about this for good luck dude..

I have been playing the game since it came out, and I have NEVER, and I'm not joking when I say NEVER had a Great Leader!

My dad has had heaps, I have never had one! I always use Elite units in battle to try and get one but to no avail! :eek: :confused: :(

Top Bottom