5cats

Warlord
But I can run Civ4!

AMD Duron 600mhz
512 ram
256 video card (BFG)
Windows ME

:lol: :lol: :lol:

YEah it's several years old, but I can't currently afford to replace the motherboard & chip.

Well, I used to run Civ4, but since the v1.52 patch I get the error message: "civ4 has caused an error in cvgamecoredll.dll and will now close". and that 's it! Waaaa!

Anyone know why I get this stupid message? I do have the HArkonnen patch installed. I'm going to try re-installing everything tomorrow, I suppose :(

PS: I like Win ME! Waaaay better than '98 eh?

Duron? Win ME? Win 98? 600mhz? What are these things you speak of?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, the new patch does alot of memory usage tweaks, but they most likely didn't test them on machines as old as yours. Ironically enough though, the tweaks were made for weaker systems. Your best bet is to uninstall/reinstall, patch, and try again. If it still wont work, try and find a copy of the 1.9 patch and just keep using that.

Oh, and upgrade your computer! :crazyeye:

I liked ME over '98 but XP is far better. It was the OS that the last 98ers I knew finally switched. Try it you'll like it!

Can't switch to XP just yet.
Also, no luck re-loading Civ4 and patch v1.52. It still says there's an error in cvgamecoredll.dll and refuses to start. Waaaa!
Oh well, looks like I'll just be stuck in v1.09 for a while.

As someone who started out on a Tandy 2 around 1982, with a wife whose first computer was a Kaypro 2, I do not choose to laugh at you. :)

Glinka said:
As someone who started out on a Tandy 2 around 1982, with a wife whose first computer was a Kaypro 2, I do not choose to laugh at you. :)

Don't make me come over there and knock you upside the head with my Vic-20. :lol:

5cats said:
But I can run Civ4!

AMD Duron 600mhz
512 ram
256 video card (BFG)
Windows ME

PS: I like Win ME! Waaaay better than '98 eh?

I actually think it is mainly the graphics card.
I have an ATI AiW x600 with either 128 or 256 meg.
I think 256.
I also have 512 RAM.
I do have a twicespeed, a 1.3 GHz, CPU though.
Of course I have XP so that could help.

About ME. You actually like it!
I haven't seen anyone who does.
Can I have your autograph? :D

Mine works as well.

The limiter on his computer by far is the CPU. CivIV likes CPU time.

IMG_0990.JPGI have a similar computer but i found a different use for it besides playing CIV

Kilroy said:
Can I laugh at your use of the word "puter" instead?

Hey that's one of my favourite words! I'm happy to see someone else besides myself and my boss (who's a chick, and to my knowledge invented it) use it too! Puters rock! :p

Willowmound said:
Hey that's one of my favourite words! I'm happy to see someone else besides myself and my boss (who's a chick, and to my knowledge invented it) use it too! Puters rock! :p
To my knowledge the only people who use the word "puter" are the types who habitually spill Pepsi on their keyboard and break the tray on the CD-ROM after mistaking it for a cup holder. Generally they have about 243 instances of spyware on their PC at any given time, and they always ask me if I can fix their "'puter" because its been running slow lately and they don't know why. They ask me this in spite of the fact that I always say no.

hey 9mm I have 2 boxes that provide that same function... 1 of them because I am not sure what to do with a 486... the other is a doorstop as well as being powered up and hooked into my network. Its my "How to break Windows" box... and i don't want to hear anyone say "Just turn it on" in comment :p

Kilroy said:
To my knowledge the only people who use the word "puter" are the types who habitually spill Pepsi on their keyboard and break the tray on the CD-ROM after mistaking it for a cup holder. Generally they have about 243 instances of spyware on their PC at any given time, and they always ask me if I can fix their "'puter" because its been running slow lately and they don't know why. They ask me this in spite of the fact that I always say no.

Well I don't fit that category, so your knowledge is obviously lacking!

'Puter' is a very cute word.

It's pretty funny that you have a 600mhz AMD Duron processor but a BFG 256mb videocard. People are overly obsessed with videocards and often spend more money on them than they do their monitor, which I find absurd! My friend has a EVGA GeForce 6800 GT but is using it on his 1999 Dell CRT 17 inch monitor and it looks worse on games like HL2 and BF2 with settings maxed than on Medium for me with my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb (an inferior graphics card) but ever so stunning Dell 2005FPW 20 inch LCD monitor. Perhaps I'm just bitter about my NEC Accusync 75F 17 inch monitor that I could clearly see the "painting" pixels down the screen with a line because I overclocked my GeForce 4 Ti4200 (highly overclockable) and partially fried my monitor.

YEah, well, I had an older card, 32 MB I think, and was buying stuff last year on Boxing Day at Future Shop when I saw this BFG card at half-price, plus a mail-in rebate for like $50 bucks! Woo-hoo! $250 card for 80 bucks! (Canadian eh?)

I have a couple of computers in pieces, and a 286 in the garage...

I re-installed the game, without the Harkonnen patch this time, and still get the cvgamecoredll error message! Grrr! I'll prolly just play v1.09 until the next patch...

BriantheBold said:
It's pretty funny that you have a 600mhz AMD Duron processor but a BFG 256mb videocard. People are overly obsessed with videocards and often spend more money on them than they do their monitor, which I find absurd! My friend has a EVGA GeForce 6800 GT but is using it on his 1999 Dell CRT 17 inch monitor and it looks worse on games like HL2 and BF2 with settings maxed than on Medium for me with my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb (an inferior graphics card) but ever so stunning Dell 2005FPW 20 inch LCD monitor. Perhaps I'm just bitter about my NEC Accusync 75F 17 inch monitor that I could clearly see the "painting" pixels down the screen with a line because I overclocked my GeForce 4 Ti4200 (highly overclockable) and partially fried my monitor.

This guy obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. :lol:

Not to flame, but a video card will have so much more of an impact than a monitor that I wonder if you were joking.

If his 6800gt is getting outperformed by your 9800 pro, your lcd monitor is not the reason why. Might be processor/memory, or even other programs running in the background, but unless he has a defective crt or video card, it isn't that.

Vladesch You shouldnt be running harkonnen with the new patch.

He's right, you need to uninstall the whole thing and re-install, Install, 1.09 Patch, 1.52 Patch, leave Harkonnen alone you won't need it with 1.52.

Top Bottom