1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Experience Starting New Game with Spring 2017 Patch

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by BTSeven7, Mar 28, 2017.

1. yanner39

yanner39 Emperor

I'm glad I came to this thread. In civ 6 I actually won my first 2 deity games in the Civ series. I knew it was too good to be true.

I guess I have work to do.

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

If I am honest, deity is quite tough now. I had a lucky game with the way gilga helped me grow.
    But its early days, I would be interested to know how others got on.

Just playing a Prince game.... I was declared friends with France early on and she suddenly went crazy and attacked. Its much easier at prince but be ready for the early game attack on any level with any close civ. However, Monty never attacked my other side so its a bit weird like they toss a coin.

Harbors now get +2 gold for CC adjacency which means shipyards get +2 production as well as other adjacency.

Siptah likes this.
  3. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

I haven't had a chance to take it through the paces yet. I hope the aggression of the AI scales a bit with difficulty level. While I would enjoy having more challenging AI opponents to play against, my son prefers a sandbox style building experience where he can occasionally DOW on AI, but otherwise just slowly builds up his empire.

4. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

I'm quite curious to see if they've done anything re tech tree pacing in this patch.

My experience pre-patch was that at King and Emperor levels, the AI loved to beeline Chemistry and while I'd be in medieval, renaissance and industrial eras the AI would be fielding AT infantry! This not only felt wrong, but it also rendered much of the mid game units null and void and forced a more focused research path. I'm not sure how the tech tree is set up but clearly it seems possible to skip large chunks of it to get to the modern era super quick.

Has this patch made this any difference?

If not, is there a relatively simple mod that addresses this.

5. Victoria

Nope @DrJambo I saw At units yesterday quite early, quite annoying, especially when Barbs start spawning with themn too.

@Mesix Just playing prince and at that level it still DOW's you... not tried lower yet

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I have to agree with the AI using archers more effectively. I mentioned this in the other thread. I had a little trouble taking over Hattusa on the TSL Earth map as Persia, but I eventually got them. They will now use archers to shoot at you even if that's their last unit (they wouldn't before). Taking over Kabul wasn't too bad though.

My first real war was against Poland. They weren't too much trouble. Then Spain attacked me, I admit I was out of position for them. They turned out to be much more trouble despite obsolete units. I took their 2 cities and wiped them out. I attacked Kongo only because they were about to put a city in Southern India, and I wanted to put a city there. But they came at with me with a LOT of knights. And I lost around 3 units I believe. And then China attacked me. This one I was expecting (unlike the Spain attack I wasn't expecting). So I had 3 bombards pre positioned above the Himalayan mountains for a counter attack. But I was a little worried I wouldn't be able to repulse this attack. I'll just link to my other post.

[/QUOTE]

7. kamex

kamex Emperor

Tried a game on Prince as Alexander - completely destroyed 2 civs by turn 70 with almost no resistance. The barbs were more of an issue. Germany only had two units and was destroyed by my two warriors and three archers. Have noticed AI garrisons high strength units to up city defence, but think they did the in the Australian update too.

8. Victoria

Kamex, its not hard to dominate on prince at all because the civs do not focus troops like you and have no advantage.

Its playing higher gets tougher because the AI can for example just buy troops in

9. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

Ah, damn, well that's a pity. There perhaps should be some extra dependencies in that part of the tech tree to stop the quick step progression from Education to Chemistry.

10. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Wow. Its new to me. And it worked every time, too. They used to reject it, then ask on their turn.

edit: drove me bonkers

11. Esperr

Esperr King

T98 with alexander on deity, already rolled my continent, but the a.i defends itself a lot better now. Not sure if the uu swordsman or horse is better. Archer rush still seems to be the go to.

12. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

Alexander looked so OP because of the boosts and heal. Got the lead in science, culture and domination so fast in King / Standard speed / Standard random map.
    Poland and Sumer fell before Renaissance. Spain, Germany and Scythia in Modern / Atomic. Russia and USA in early Information.

13. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

So to sum up this thread :

• AI is far smarter and more equipped in wars especially so @higher level
    • Alexander is OP to the point that you win easily despite point 1 (yet I have the feeling the return of experience were all done @lower level i-e -prince/king-)

Am I right ?

14. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

So were you playing TSL or is it a coincidence the civs (excluding Scythia) fell in order of the distance to Alexander in the real world? Either way it's funny that the two 20th century superpowers fell last.

15. Victoria

It only ever worked when they were friendly, apparently that has changed and they can be neutral but everytime I have tried (quite often) its no.
    So... just so you know what I do to help it along

1. Naturally send a delegation on turn 1 of meeting
    2. Be very aware of their political agenda - no point trying to be friends with Trajan until later. This agenda is normally around +6 but sometimes +12 is great - Most important thing this.
    3. Send a trade route if you have one and need a couple of extra points (I normally do not bother) seems to degrade fairly fast too.
    4. Settle near them and agree not to do it again ... this starts as a -3 but turns into a +2 when you have kept your word 30 turns later... it then goes up to +3 before it degrades but it takes a while
    5. The one I like is once you have Early Empire .... put your open borders on the table and say what will you give me for it? ... they will normally pay gold for you to get +3 diplomacy with them! Ithink it degrades a point every 30
    6. Initial impressions degrades 1 point every 10 turns .. on Deity this can be -2 -8 at the start.. prince I think is +2 - -4 range... Never checked emp but 0 -6 range makes sense
    7. Look at their relationship with other civs ... find one that is denounced and denounce that civ too... this with the above is enough for friends
    8. Same as 7 but do a joint war... this is very very useful especially early on high levels... a very underrated tactic - went to war is about +5, not sure on degradation, not fast though
    9. A good deal can get you +10 but this degrades a point a turn so is pretty crappy unless you just need the short term push.

If you happen to get friends with Gilga he is like a protector and will often DOW people who DOW me.

Firiends then gives you +8 ... so if you have their agenda bonus its normally enough to have an alliance ... so really its all about agendas

*note... I never quite remember all the numbers some some may be slightly wrong.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  16. agonistes

It is the renewing that never worked. I mean (I guess my first post was lazy), lets say im declared friends with vicky. Timer goes off, dec frnd ends. On my turn I try to renew. 0 times in hundreds this never worked for me. I always had to finish my turn, and wait for the ai to renew it. Now I'm 4 for 4. I dont have diplomacy issues - normally. Sometimes I'm mean.

I love giving good deals. its cheap too.

Another thing that seems different us the 0 gold bug. You can trade 3gpt for 30 turns to a friend for 100 gold. It used to be if your income was at 0, you would still earn that 3 gpt. Now you don't.

I love doing that trade... then u can give them a good deal for diplo bonus - using their own cash... or let dec frnd end and they can dow u and lose payoff. Hmmm. I assume u stop payung on a dow. Never actually looked.

Current game Vicky and Poland were swarming my borders. English had a small horde, Polish a few warriors and a skitzo settler (hee hee... I had been chasing him with 3 units even though dec'd frnds).

Anyways, as time was running out on friendships, I borrowed from both for upcoming slinger upgrades, knowing Vicky was going to get funky.

Vicky dowed, and it was heaven for a bit, outnumbered and with her army - I shxt u not - in the MIDDLE of my set of 3 cities. Ha ha! A blast! Real epic stuff. As I'm fending her off and whittling down, Poland tries to sneak her settler by. Poof. Friendship ends. I dow, get Cyrus' movement bonus, and jink the settler and play hell with Vicky.

It was an eye-blinking moment when I realized my warrior could march through the line of forests to finish off a fleeing Brit.

I thought that movement bonus was meh. It is actually vay vay fun. What was disappointing was no trader unit with the free trade route.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Victoria likes this.
  17. magha77

magha77 Warlord

I had a similar experience. Playing as Cyrus, there aren't a lot of units on the field. As soon as the few of those are gone, it's only garrisoned units in a city. Immortals for unit to unit combat are great (although I wish the melee option was also available for attack) but attacking cities with the -17 is harsh. Really wish they made it so that Immortals were true melee units as well so that they could take cities. Just seems like Persia now loses by not having a true swordsman. Playing on Prince and have taken 7 cities (4 capitols) by 500bc on marathon.

18. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Havent got much time with the game yet. But i noticed Alexander was pretty smart on his archer attacks. And he retreated the archer before i could finish him off with my archer. With skilled use of terrain.
    The archer was nonstop sending arrows into my capital across water. Attacking my unwalled city each turn. When i finally was able to flank him with my own archer.
    The ai only made one mistake in one turn by not retreating or attacking my archer. But it was quite smart play overall. To early to tell but the ai counterattacked my archer with good use of 2 warriors and 1 archer.

I must say something quite ******** happened with the ai. I automoved my warrior past Greece land when i captured a settler by not even looking at it. Got the captured an civilian popup. So the unguarded settler thing is still real.

19. Eva-kun

Eva-kun Chieftain

When I change policies, I notice a very long loading time and freezing.

20. agonistes

Trick with Cyrus is to not upgrade all your warriors. Save a few. At least in marathon, where it might be 100 turns from iron to horses.

magha77 likes this.