1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Experience Starting New Game with Spring 2017 Patch

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by BTSeven7, Mar 28, 2017.

1. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

Combat AI is still bad. I launched a new game and China and Egypt declared an early joint war against me but they only sent 1-2 warriors and then sued for peace. Then in the classical era I built a small army (2 swordsmen, 2 archers, 2 horseman,1 battering ram) and attacked China, easily taking all its cities, without losing a single unit. This was on Emperor difficulty.

But the worst offender is the UI. Even with CQUI, the user interface really brings the game down, it breaks the pace of the game, it hides important information and generally speaking it makes for a very frustrating and unpleasant experience.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    diaul, ZubieMaster and Roald Amundsen like this.
  2. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I still use your 8 Ages of Pace mod though. Tried a game without it post-Australia patch, but it just goes much too fast later on in the game.

3. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Although China and Spain gave me a little scare in the middle of this game, it still wasn't too bad.

It's not looking too good for Teddy here... This is what I call a real conquest victory, conquering every single city Civ2 style (except city-states). And yes those seaside resorts were built by the Aztecs, not by me.

4. Olleus

Olleus Deity

I'm glad to know it still works...

Maybe it's time to take it out of beta and put it on Steam lol

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It may be too soon to tell, but I think they fixed the exit freeze-up bug.

nzcamel likes this.
  6. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

My first experience (apart from restarting a few games because of alpha testing a mod that turned out to have more bugs than expected) is "those @%#% barbarians!". First game I tried I took out a camp and it turned out there was a second barbarian behind it out of vision, which meant there was now 2 barbarians on one side and 3 tiles of lake on the other side, warrior died, I decided to restart. Second game, well, I'm continuing it because I have 3 tiles of Torres Del Paine's bonus in my capital city's range, but I lost a warrior and a slinger to barbarians already. The warrior took out a camp and then died to the rampaging scout. The slinger died because it was freaking impossible to get an enemy unit to the amount of health where the slinger would kill him, first he killed a warrior attacking him, which apparently didn't grant the boost for archery, and then he died to the barb slinger while I thought he'd survive. What was particularly sad about that barb slinger was that I had 2 warriors and my (low health) slinger next to him. After one warrior attack, the second warrior had a decisive victory, while the slinger only had a major victory. Guess that's what I get for persuing eureka's, but it still sucks.

Anyways, I'm playing Alexander, so once I finally do get my military up (already bought a tile adjacent to Torres Del Paine for 2f4p unimproved and on top of that I got iron right next to my capital for the eureka for iron working), I'm gonna see how fast France and Rome will fall.

7. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

what difficulty level? :)

nzcamel likes this.
  8. gimper42

gimper42 Warlord

That Wonder can save a lot of otherwise very bad starts. The first thing I do when I start every game of Civ 6 is press Y and look around for the wonky TDP yields.

nzcamel likes this.
  9. gimper42

gimper42 Warlord

Playing a deity game as Persia on a continents map. I got double DoW'd pretty early by Spain and Norway, was already declared friends with Kongo by then. Sometime later India offered to be declared friends. I've never had 2 civs want to be friends with me at the same time in any Civ 6 game before this one. I did not try to gain their favor at all. Norway never sent any troops my way, and Spain had a really hard time getting through the choke points between us. Just finished taking all of Spain's cities. Norway sued for peace not long ago, so he is ripe for a surprise! war.

Barbarians have been pesky, to say the least. I have had to mobilize troops to deal with new encampments pretty often in this game.

10. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Standard, like I said. I did try strategic view several times. It's not gonna help here, not about graphics. Have all the help I can get from my GC already (which is a monster of a GC for this game anyway), it doesn't make a difference whether I play on minimal or max settings. Bad optimization is bad optimization. When a mod comes around that turns off-screen animations off, then the game will probably become playable for me despite bad optimization.

V had the same problem, but

A: I was much more patient / had more time to waste on my hands...
    ...and then later...
    B: There was this magical mod called "Quick Turns" that made it so much faster it was ridiculous. Never played without it after trying it once. Can you guess what the mod actually did? Yes, turned off all the off-screen animations.

11. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

try NQ Enhanced User Interface mod, I think it turns off leader anim - that's some help

12. Esperr

Esperr King

It looks like barbs build way more ships now. Joy.

Siptah likes this.
  13. Maximo the Xth

Maximo the Xth Warlord

Not for me.

14. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Emperor.

15. Swissy

Swissy Warlord

Nope. Exited a game and went to get dinner, cane back and it was still their frozen.

Also, this patch seems to have added a layer of between turn lag, mid-games starting to get slow, late games are almost unplayable. Only played one game to the end since patch and the final third of the game was intolerable, but I wanted the Cyrus victory achievement.

Tiger Genocide and ZubieMaster like this.
  16. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

I still think there's some work to be done re the some of the later game tech tree, as not there's not enough difference between the cost of some of these techs. In my current King game, Chemistry is taking me 5 turns (boosted) whereas the one for Bombards is 3 turns boosted. Given there's such an easy route through to the Modern Era and getting AT guys early doors, one might have thought the devs would make some of the later techs a little more expensive to detract the age skipping.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I haven't had a freeze-up yet, and I used to experience it 90% of the time. And I don't get much turn lag. There have been a few longish turns, but it's not consistent.

18. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Prince

It has not.

19. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Prince

I've now played 3.5 games with the new patch. I detailed the first one in my post earlier in this thread.

The second game I played, I completely dominated. Archer rush still reigns supreme and the AI still can't really counter it (Immortal).

The third game, I decided to be peaceful. I tried Island Plates as Japan and went 100% non-violent (aside from some barb defence). I met Scythia and America and they declared a joint war on me very soon afterwards. Scythia traveled across the sea and swarmed my cities with land units within 3 turns of the DOWs.

"Sweet", I thought. "Let's restart and take an invasion seriously this time."

Game #4, which I'm about halfway through. Japan, Island Plates, Immortal. Ghandi was my nearest neighbour, followed by Sumer. Gilgamesh asked for Friendship, which I accepted.

I realized I was pretty safe with those two nearby, so I went for a peaceful start. I scouted out another continent and spread. All of my cities were surounded by tundra and snow, so I decided to take some AI territory.

I built a bunch of boats, mass upgraded to frigates and went after Ghandi, then Denmark and now Sumer (game still ongoing). All of them had a ton of land units and just sat there while I attacked by boat. They continued to prioritize melee units while under naval assault. Their few ranged units didn't even triy to attack my boats.

Several melee units have been embarking for no reason as well.

Conclusion: The AI can defend land attacks better than before. They can attack with land units better than ever.

By sea, they can organize land attacks, but don't utilize boats enough. Defending against naval assaults is beyond them. The AI is completely broken when defending against ships.

[Edit]: sorry for the back-to-back posts.

20. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

Yeah attacking coastal AI cities with Frigates and Battleships has been my go-to strategy for reliably winning at King and Emperor levels for a number of patches. They're super good at taking out the defences.