Your favorite speed

What is your favorite speed?

• Total voters
I almost always play either Normal or Quick. I don't have the time to commit to a marathon or epic game, nor the attention span. Normal or Quick allow me to play more games and try more different things, which to me is more enjoyable than playing for a long time on the same map, against the same opponents, with the same settings, etc.

I just tried a game on Marathon and was swiftly (well, actually slowly, so to speak) reminded of why I prefer Epic. The way everyting takes a really loooong time in Marathon drives me nuts. OTOH, I think Normal is too swift. So it's Epic for me.

I've played Epic from day one, I think.

Seeing from the poll results that Marathon is almost as favored as Epic - I think I'll give it a shot and see if I can enjoy the added mobility compared to faster settings. Normal or Quick on the other hand don't feel like my cup o' tea.

This poll tells us one very important thing.

Quick is t3h 1053.

It's likely not balanced sufficiently to be useful or long enough to be fun for the hardcores. Then again, it might just be that multiplayers aren't represented on this thread. :)

Personally I've never tried quick speed, and probably never will. Normal is a quick game for me, and I wouldn't want it to be any quicker.

Marathon here. Rome wasn't built in a day. On huge maps with 5-18 AI slots that can easily go up in the 80 hour mark.

Epic. The honest reason? I love the soundtrack, and I couldn't figure out how to make it stick. So I streamline Nationalism and then take my sweet time on all the other techs. :lol:

Thinking onward, Epic allows a much more realistic game, from my point of view. And it makes things more interesting... if you are at a technological disadvantage, it can REALLY kick you in the rear on epic, whereas on quick, Monty can't even move the cavalry two squares into your territory before you have rifles. Epic speed forces you to think and plan more. If I had BTS, I would play Marathon all the time.

Just my point of view.

And a little bit off-topic... anyone know how I make a sig?

And a little bit off-topic... anyone know how I make a sig?

Go to "My Account" after logging in. One of the options on the left should be "Edit Signature"

This poll tells us one very important thing.

Quick is t3h 1053.

It's likely not balanced sufficiently to be useful or long enough to be fun for the hardcores. Then again, it might just be that multiplayers aren't represented on this thread. :)

Gamespy MP is not represented here - the vast majority of them are quick speed.

But that's done in the interest of time, and it *does* effect balance. You can declare on someone with a stack of 12-13 units, march on their 60% capitol that only has 2 skirmishers, attack it, and lose, because they have 10 units in it by the time you get there. I should know, I was the one with the skirmishers...:lol:. But only because I'd learned the hard way before.

Along with human tactics being better, quick contributes to the difficulty of invading competent players, which makes people who manage to walkover a beginner at the start all the stronger.

Quick is especially foul on higher difficulty SP, where the AI can 1 unit/turn from any city it wants, literally producing units as quickly as you can MOVE them!

Quick is especially foul on higher difficulty SP, where the AI can 1 unit/turn from any city it wants, literally producing units as quickly as you can MOVE them!

True. I know Emperor is not a top level, but I had to deal with a new stack every other turn when I was fighting Suleiman in NC Charlemagne. I wonder how that would go on Deity...

But I like playing on Quick.

Hmmmm....

Quick: "Oh my God! What happened?"
Normal: "What do you mean 'obsolete'?"
Epic: "Ooooh! A nice leisurely stroll..."
Marathon: "Allright. Who put the Quaaludes in my root beer?"

I guess my choice is a little obvious. :D

Currently I'm playing Normal as I just started out, but I may try Epic some day.

I've totally switched to Epic! I wish I could alter my vote. It's everything I love about marathon but with the ability to play more games!

A quick question for all the code-divers and advanced players:
I've heard the conversations about Marathon having 3x turn # and only 2x unit costs. However, on Epic, it's 2x turn # and 1.5x unit costs, so the unit buff that Marathon gets, epic also gets (50% unit cost increase vs. turn increase).

In fact, a rounding down often happens (Warriors cost 22:hammers: on Epic vs. 22.5 which is exactly 1.5x normal cost) so, often, you're getting an even better deal on Epic. Is it the 3x movement speed along with the faster unit build that makes marathon so ideal for faster military vics?

I used to be affraid of Epic but now I've adapted and I love it!

Is it the 3x movement speed along with the faster unit build that makes marathon so ideal for faster military vics?

Yes. It's quite the difference what you can achieve with your army if you know the enemy will get Rifling in 30 turns instead of 10 (or 20 even). Having some growth pains with the Marathon -> Normal transition atm because my gut feelings about war don't work anymore. Peaceful victories are much much easier though.

For the game times, my Marathon Standard times of 4-5h have dropped to 2-3h on Normal. More than I expected, though I still end turns too eagerly and end up with suboptimal plays.

Yes. It's quite the difference what you can achieve with your army if you know the enemy will get Rifling in 30 turns instead of 10 (or 20 even).
Bingo. It's funny b/c I was always nervous about moving to Epic b/c of the marathon military bonuses. When I made the move, it wasn't bad at all. You still get a 2x movement speed bonus over Normal with a comparative 50% reduction in unit cost on Epic. So I think I'm here to stay!

Bingo. It's funny b/c I was always nervous about moving to Epic b/c of the marathon military bonuses. When I made the move, it wasn't bad at all. You still get a 2x movement speed bonus over Normal with a comparative 50% reduction in unit cost on Epic. So I think I'm here to stay!

Epic doesn't have twice the number of turns compared to normal. It's just 1.5 times as many turns (750 vs 500 in BTS), so the increased construction cost (of units) matches the extra number of turns. It's mainly a slightly stretched normal speed while units keep their movement speed.

Top Bottom