1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your first BNW win?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by The A.K.T, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Philosophia

Philosophia Chieftain

Yeah lol. I was isolated behind a wall of mountains so it would have been a pain to fight her. But she conquered Russia, Japan, Songhai and most of Babylon/

2. ToothedBomb

ToothedBomb Prince

My first was a cultural victory with Poland. I won before even hitting the internet tech.
    It was on a continents map on king difficulty. For some reason I started on my own little continent with a city state, which was a little boring because there was no conflict until very, very late in the game. I got pretty much all great work wonders except for Globe Theater, so I housed a lot of art in all of those.

My second victory was with the same settings, and as the Shoshone via diplomatic means. Once again, on my own little continent. I wanted to find all civs asap to become the host of the congress, but there was no shallow water connection to the other continents, so I was isolated until astronomy. In the end I did found the congress, and eventually won by bribing all city states at the important times.

My third victory was as Assyria, going for tech. I chose a pangea map because I was tired of sitting on my own continent. I wanted to go warfare, but my happiness couldn't support that and neither could my economy early on. In the medieval era Venice declared war on me because I settled to close to him. He attacked with an army existing of 3 warriors, some composite bowmen and a catapult. I beat them up with a knight and longswordsman. Every city I settled was next to a mountain, so I could get a lot of science going.

Founding a religion seems really hard now. All religions are usually founded before turn 100 on standard speed now. I did get one in as the Shoshone but both other times I failed to get enough faith that early.

3. Thuellai

Thuellai Warlord

Religions do seem to come a bit faster

The easiest way I've found to ensure I get a religion of my own is to take the base policy for Piety as soon as possible - cutting Shrine hammers by half ensures you can at least get a pantheon up quickly, and then it's a good bet to grab a faith-boosting Pantheon belief if you really want to rush your first Prophet.

4. camfrlas

camfrlas Chieftain

Assyrian diplomatic victory in 1960s, 9 new civs, 18 CSs, continents, emperor.

Venice was still just one city empire, indonesia didn't even try to get to the other continent, but it was fascinating game. biggest opponent was Shoshone early in the game and i finally got him down lately in the game with Embargo against them. in the end i was surprised how big thing Carnival is, Brasil almost got me there.

5. Canox

Canox Chieftain

Diplo Victory on Emperor with Morocco, everything on Standard. Have to try out new civs and step it up the Immortal again :)

6. digrosz

digrosz Dirty Frank

Closest game ever as Brazil with Cultural Victory on Emperor/Standard Map/Standard Speed.
    Won on turn 498!!!! Two turns later and Portugal would have won with her 2400 score. Mine was only 1200. Also, Shaka was going heavy on Space Ship and would have won if the game had lasted a few more turns.

7. Roboe

Roboe Chieftain

Haven't won a game yet. Either a bad neighbour, some spazzed out barbarians (oh how I laughed when I got rushed by two horsemen), a bad starting location - or a combination thereof.

8. JohnYoga

JohnYoga Prince

I think this thread is fun to read; you guys really get into your games!

Marc

9. CoolLizy

CoolLizy King

Played my first BNW game using Indonesia and went with a cultural victory while trying to get used to how the systems have changed. Byzantium wasn't having succumbing quickly enough, though, so I declared on them and steamrolled all their cities. Made the other AIs mad, but they'd already bought into my blue jeans and pop music so there was nothing they could do and I won as soon as Byzantium was kicked out of the game.

10. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

Played Brazil on Prince (which I normally play for relaxed "warming up" games). I picked Liberty, built the Great Library, used it to get Drama and Poetry and got all the culture techs as fast as I could. I got five cities, with Mongolia periodically invading one of them so I tried to keep some defensive force at all times.

Carthage eventually founded the Congress and got a good lead there. I was still pushing for the cultural vic but it seems Dido was too, because I was gaining on her only slowly. Eventually, despite all my efforts, dozens of turns of Carnivals and World Games extra tourism, I accepted the fact that I wasn't going to get a cultural vic. I had unlocked a good deal of Freedom policies with all that culture and used Treaty Organization to get all the CS's behind me for a diplomatic victory.

11. Biologist

Biologist Researcher

My first win was a diplo victory on the next-to-last turn of the game (turn 499 Standard speed, July of 2049). I had been trying for a cultural victory as Poland, but apparently failed to understand how tourism is best generated (I had a tall empire and probably should have gone wide). In the end I won because Venice had worked with me to make Freedom the world Ideology, giving me a few extra delegates. At the last moment I shamelessly disbanded my whole military to get the gold I needed to bribe enough city states and civs to win.

12. JohnYoga

JohnYoga Prince

Nice turnaround, Vaino!

Marc

13. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

Ironically enough, in my next game I went for a diplomatic victory and wound up winning culturally a few turns before the World Leader election.

14. ajok

ajok Warlord

won as pedro at 2003, cultural victory, prince(lower than my gnk), huge, large, 10 civs as opponents(all bnw civs+arabian and french)+allow policy saving
    got first pantheon, i choose sacred path, open tradition and aristocracy, saved until classical, full aesthetic, and open patronage for forbidden place. 6 cities, 3 focused on great artist etc, 3 for production, not too strong for religion, because for poland missionaries-spammed. constructed all toursim-wonders, win international games and world fair, destroyed poland's capital to lower their defensive culture. got 1 city from france because city-flipping, poland and shaka change their ideology to freedom, behind france for science, friend with all except shaka and casimir. but 10 turns before victory, all have denounced me(dont know why). jungle is amazing when you play as brazil. gives you +2:c5culture: culture(+3 if you get sacred path), +2:c5gold: gold, +2:c5food: food, and +2:c5science: science

15. arnogrand

arnogrand Chieftain

I have just stroke my first Immortal Win on BNW with Maria 1 and Portugal on an Archipelago / Large Map .

Although I did all I could to reach the Culture victory ( which was in fact far off being achieved ), I had to revert back to a Diplomatic Victory and buying everyone's vote at the World Congress.

3 achievements at once for this victory -

It is very interesting actually as I was never the Tech leader, never the Tourism leader, and certainly never the Army guy but my gold output due to UA was absolutely outstanding.

For me, BNW is a big thumbs up for Diplomacy.

Will now try Deity.

16. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

Emperor, Zulus, standard, pangea. Won a science victory on turn 275. What bugged me is that i would have won 1 turn later diplomatically even without really trying for it. What if i the vote would have come before? ''Oh no i didn't win like i wanted!'' :cry:

Also, the World project to get better gs and free science(International Station?) come too late. I didn't have time to finish it when i launched.

17. Zodan_Mir

Zodan_Mir Chieftain

Science victory, with Morocco on a large, continents map.

I originally planned to build a giant trade empire, and get a diplomatic win. But a runaway Sweden, on the other continent, had other plans.

The game started out fairly well, with me (Morocco), Assyria, Egypt, America, and The Netherlands on one continent. I established trade relations really fast, and kept the peace for most of the early game; everyone loves Morocco. :) I had a tech lead early on, along with a strong economy, so I was able to get most of the world explored after hitting the Renaissance. I founded the World Congress, and was well on my way to dominating the other civs diplomatically, but then the other continent exploded with total war--and a major impediment to my plan.

Sweden and Poland were on the other continent, along with England, China and Russia. Between the two of them, they carved up England and China, and basically pushed Russia off onto my continent. All kinds of carnage was going on over there.

I spent most of the game trying to support Poland and Russia, as they were the only civs in direct conflict with Sweden, who was quickly turning into a "runaway" domination civ. After Sweden went Patronage, though, and started gobbling up city-states, my diplomatic victory was more or less shot--especially after he stole control of the World Congress from me. :cry: I had a strong economy, but he had half a continent to himself by then, and a ton of city-states. We played a tough match of "That's My City State!" for the rest of the game.

I was able to pay America and the Dutch off to go to war with Sweden a few times, and poor Casimir held out as long as he could (he did pretty well, considering ....), but in the end, Sweden was just too powerful: Russia eventually fell, and the Dutch were in the process of being taken over just as the Information age hit; William had maybe three cities left. America was still fighting the good fight, but it was going to start going badly for Washington as soon as William went down.

I could have won with culture/influence, but I had neglected Egypt too long in the early game to really have any influence over them; Ramesses had a ton of influence/culture, so it was going to take a few turns too many to get the culture win. Strangely, Sweden was completely vulnerable to my cultural influence. If not for Egypt, it would have been doable. I guess Sweden planned to just steam roll me in the later ages.

In the end, I had to go Science, just so I could get the win. Sweden was building booster rockets and moving onto other spaceship parts, just as I was finishing up. That Gustavos Adolphus .... he's a big meany.

18. janqca

janqca Chieftain

won ooc diety space ship launch with korea at 320 turn was realy bad from my side could saved altreas 40 turns but i made alot of usles stuff paganea small map , i tryed to win with culture victory ooc but it is so hard if u go pecfull way not attacking and councoring others

19. ork75

ork75 Prince

Turn 491 science win as Poland. I wasted a lot of time at low science and didn't really focus until about turn 400.
    However, along the way I captured 2 capitals, got the strongest navy in the world, founded the world congress, and got influential over 2 civs.
    I think I went for less of a focused game then I had in G&K, mostly just playing with the new mechanics.

20. knighterrant81

knighterrant81 Warlord

I stepped down to Prince difficulty, from King, where I played G&K mostly, after struggling in the early game for several tries with Shoshone and Morocco (those Civs are really strong, but it just took awhile to adjust to BNW's playstyle, I think).

First victory was Prince, Continents, Standard, Zulu, Domination. I destroyed Portugal and Germany with my Ikhanda-boosted Spearmen, who were upgraded into Impi, then used their charred remains as fuel for my massive gold economy. Byzantium and Egypt were trying to out-wonder-spam each other on the other continent (and my continents were really far apart, must have been 50 tiles of ocean or something, took forever to get over there), but once I took Constantinople (gaining 1000 points in the process) it was basically over.

I opened with Honor, which I almost never did in G&K, and it worked out fairly well. The early production bonus for my Spearmen was pretty nice, combined with a Great General. All from one policy!

I was embarassingly eclipsed in religion and culture, so I may try a win on those fronts next. Brazil, perhaps?