1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Your promise broken"

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by RedRover57, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

This is just a a matter of learning the game.

Yes, scouts count as troops.

Knowing this, the option you should have chosen was to ignore the request. Now you've learned how it all works.

I agree 3 hexes is too far though. Also, troops within your own borders should never count. I see that as a bug if it happens.

Nathair and kaspergm like this.
  2. usadefcon1

usadefcon1 Warlord

The worst is that the warning triggers even if you have open boarders with the other civ

fatgordy likes this.
  3. MrRadar

MrRadar King

Let's soften this a bit to "on most occasions". But if you and AI have a common border and AI detects that suddenly you concentrated quite a few regiments in the immediate vicinity, be it in your own territory, it would be kind of justified to ask what are they doing there.

Nathair likes this.
  4. slowcar

slowcar King

The mechanism is broken, it's not "learning the game" to see that.

In civ5 the "just moving through" meant "i will not attack you within the next x (25?) turns". requiring to not even move a scout within your own territory is utter stupidity.

Proteus and cairnsy44 like this.
  5. MetaSkipper

MetaSkipper Chieftain

If my speculations are right, if your passive religious pressure flips a city religion (or maybe even just converts a citizen), that will also count as a "You converted our cities after you promised not to." It might also be simply moving a missionary/apostle too close, but I have my doubts about that.

This happened to me. I'm bordering France, and I decide to convert one of her cities. I use one spread charge, not flipping the city (memory serve me right), and Catherine asks me politely to stop. I agree, and start to move out of her borders to convert a city state instead. The next turn, I get told I've broken her promise before even doing anything. The only thing I can imagine is that my passive religious pressure on the border converted one of her cities.

Nathair likes this.
  6. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

Yeah I should have said "1 unit alone on your border should never count"

You can't compare the two. In Civ VI it's not just about the AI being afraid you will declare war. The AI also penalizes you simply for moving a single unit near their territory. I'm fine with this and I think it makes sense for diplomatic relations, and is immersive. That's the part of learning I was referring to. But yes, it also needs some tweaking and isn't working perfectly.

7. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

I didn't even passively flip any cities, though. On the contrary, he flipped a few of mine. The "promise broken" message popped up 2-3 turns after I agreed to stop converting.

In any case, it's very clearly broken.

8. MetaSkipper

MetaSkipper Chieftain

Out of curiosity, is there anyone else in your game with your religion? They might be the culprit.

Like I said, it might be that even converting a single citizen passively, which might not flip a city, might be enough of a trigger.

9. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Some city states, including Jerusalem. I guess that might be it.

It's still broken by design, though. I shouldn't be able to passively break a promise due to circumstances beyond my control.

Nathair likes this.
  10. ronin_cse

ronin_cse Chieftain

Yeah having the AI get upset about units within your own borders is just bonkers. A patch for this stuff can't come soon enough.

cairnsy44 likes this.
  11. 10KEyeCandy

10KEyeCandy Chieftain

I think "Ignore the request" is not the solution though, judging from what happened to myself.

In one of the games, I've had a friendly Gandhi right next to me with competing borders.
    My main encampment was a bit close to his border(for defensive purposes) and I was getting ready to attack Spain.
    So while moving my new units to the front line, The GTFA event triggered 2 or 3 times, and I chose "Ignore it" everytime.
    Then some 15 turns after his first request, Gandhi denounced me because of "You're not willing to give them a promise".

So it seems that the negetive diplo hits are still there even if you choose "Ignore it"

12. Lord Khorak

Lord Khorak Chieftain

I'm wondering if it'll still do that thing from Civ 5 where they demand you not settle near them, you say yes, settle on the other side of the planet, then get angrily informed that you broke your promise not to settle in their areas. That's not even hyperbole, Greece was in the Russian start point on a Huge Earth map and got angry at me because I went and settled in Australia instead. Apparently that was his too.

fatgordy likes this.
  13. pietro1990

pietro1990 Prince

Its funny that you can't ask the Ai to move their troops they ask for open borders and they send their entinre army at youre land and you can't do annything about it wierd that this was n't fixed from civ 5

i have the feeling that the same developers who made civ 5 vanilla make the civ 6 AI. i see a lot of simularities random suprise atacks.. Chain denouncement beeing angry for no reasons Penalties for declaring war

14. neilkaz

neilkaz King

You gotta be kiddin' me!?!? How can diplomacy be this broken? Did they beta test this game at all?

sanchopanda and kaspergm like this.
  15. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

This is definitely one of those things where you are left completely baffled by them apparently not learning by the mistakes of Civ5. Same thing with the non-stacking of civilian units and civilian units blocking movement of military units (and vice versa) when in peace.

sanchopanda, cairnsy44 and neilkaz like this.
  16. cairnsy44

cairnsy44 Gooner - first class

In my current game, I had Greece tell me "That city is mine!" Um...what city? I met them on the 5th turn and hadn't settled any other cities. So my capital is in what you feel are your lands? THAT makes no sense...so I later declared on him and wiped him out.

Nathair likes this.
  17. sigmakan

sigmakan Warlord

Kongo asked me to move my units away from his border. I complied. He declared war a few turns later. I move my units to defend my cities and push back his troops. Promise broken. :rolleyes:

fatgordy and Nathair like this.
  18. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

Maybe that was referring to city-state suzerainty?

19. contrasupra

contrasupra Chieftain

There is, but I've been denounced for refusing to make a promise, sooooo...

20. RedRover57

RedRover57 Emperor

A bit later in my game in the original post - England forward settles me and immediately complains about my troops being too close to their borders.

So the only way to be friendly with an AI civ is to not be near them on the map and only if by some miracle your goals align with their agendas. But even then if you declare a friendship you will tick off most of the other civs since by this time all the other civs have either denounced or are at war with each other.

Domination is the only way to go - keel them all! I didn't think the AI civs could be more annoying than in Civ 5, but the developers really coded them for maximum trollage.

cairnsy44 likes this.