[NFP] Zombie Defense Mode Discussion

bite

Unofficial Civilization Cartographer
Super Moderator
a new mode is here

Mad historical people are incoming like zombies, take cover!

I'm not really sure what the point of this is, as we already have to defend ourselves from barbs and the AI...
Me either, but I guess we'll just have to become more used to dying. :p

Sounds gimmicky but fun!

Already looking forward to playing a 'Eastern Europe' set-up with this mode. Highlands-map, Hungary, Ottomans, Poland, Russia. This could make for a thematic game.

Anyone who has played the Red Death mode will know that the zombies are particularly irritating to deal with, because every unit you lose is a new zombie.

I suspect that as the game progresses the hordes will become so big that a lot of effort is devoted to driving them off. Think barbarians but they actually get stronger as the game goes on. Anyone knows the havoc a barb attack can inflict on your game plan.

So what does victory look like? Unless they add a satisfying way to survive the horde it just seems like a huge distraction from playing the rest of the game...

So what does victory look like? Unless they add a satisfying way to survive the horde it just seems like a huge distraction from playing the rest of the game...

To me I feel they really should have made it a separate scenario where the goal is just to last 100 turns.

Anyone who has played the Red Death mode will now that the zombies are particularly irritating to deal with, because every unit you lose is a new zombie.

I suspect that as the game progresses the hordes will become so big that a lot of effort is devoted to driving them off. Think barbarians but they actually get stronger as the game goes on. Anyone knows the havoc a barb attack can inflict on your game plan.

I posted this in the update thread, but it looks to me more like another early game 'win harder' mechanism for the player - i.e. generate zombies from barbs, turn zombies so you control them, send them against the AI.

I would've preferred more of a late game/end game shake up than something that was all game.

I'm hoping some of the things like traps/barricades turn out cool and can potentially be modded into the main game (or Civ 7).

It seems like a fun, well thought mode, but just like the apocalipse mode, it's something that I might play eventually, but I won't have it active in my "standard" games.

I might use this less than Apocalypse mode (and I've used Apocalypse once).

To be honest, this seems way more fun than the apocalypse mode.

This is really what I thought it would be.

Well, think of it as a scenario then. Nobody prevents you to set up a game with a 100-turns limit, only enable Score Victory and sees who wins.

On the other hand, it's good to not put it only in a scenario if people wants to spice up a regular game.

You loose nothing by it being a mode, and people who like it would loose it if it's a scenario. The best configuration possible IMO

It seems like a fun, well thought mode, but just like the apocalipse mode, it's something that I might play eventually, but I won't have it active in my "standard" games.

To be honest, this seems way more fun than the apocalypse mode.

I actually don’t mind Apocalypse mode. The Soothsayer stuff (bar the Great Bath strategy) is currently far too weak and not worth the effort as the “use disasters against your enemy” power it was touted as.

But the actual Apocalypse stuff is basically a difficulty modifier that forces you to plan to win quickly or else deal with comets as a major destructive force. Not for everyone, or every game, but a nice endgame twist.

Zombies could potentially have been a similar thing. But if they are a deadly force too early they will just be frustrating to deal with. And if they are too easy to control, they are indeed just another win button for the player.

I wonder if they will attack cities?

Top Bottom