Zwi3: Shell and Shield (C3C 1.22 Open)

Zwingli

Prince
A couple of the villagers looked at the strange metal beasts in puzzlement. It had been 4 days since the scruffy looking man wearing strange clothing struck a deal with the local chieftan, promising to provide food and liquor for these “tanks” in exchange for a quarter of the fledgling civ’s eventual conquests, to be paid in some undetermined time in the future. The chieftan had initially been skeptical of the unexpected offer, until the man (known only as “GP”) and his greasy associates demonstrated the beasts in action against a local group of barbs with devastating results. Upon leaving, GP gave a strict warning that he would be able to afford replacement beasts, and that if not properly fed and watered even a mere spear-thrower might prove a match for the metal behemoths. Of course, the backwards local folk could hardly understand how to maintain or operate these tanks, much less understand how to ride them effectively. One of the villagers, cautiously poked one of the slumbering giants with a stick to see if it would stir...
-----------------------------------------

Civ: Netherlands
Difficulty: Sid minus* (Human player gets research bonus and 5 starting tanks)
Map: Random Small Pangaea (70% land, roaming barbs)
Varient: Always war.
Special Rules: Tanks with less than 3hp may not attack. Tanks may not be put into armies.

Even starting with 5 tanks, this has the potential to be a challenging game. The Sid level opponents can build cities faster than 5 unsupported tanks can burn them, and the huge number of starting units will create a non-trivial early game challenge. Nonetheless, this is meant to be more of a “fun” game than a tough challenge, so players of all skill levels are invited to take a round of turns (it would probably be best for relatively experienced players to take the early rounds though).

Early
Explore with the starting tanks, and found on the starting tile (uh... probably should have moved to the coast, that's what I get for starting a game at night :crazyeye: ).

The first build is a unique wonder which gives us +50% research in every city (representing knowledge obtained from reverse engineering ;) ). This will make tech research about as difficult as Deity rather than Sid, and we will still end up in a tech hole if the game lasts that long.
With a bunch of 2-move exploring tanks, it is not long before we meet the first victim.

And we obtain 2 iroquois slaves.

Middle
In 3600 BC, 18 Iroquois warriors come into view of our western tank stack. Over the next 3 turns, most of these warriors are destroyed, and our eastern tanks all promote to elite. One tank withdraws back toward our capital to defend against advancing Iroquois units.

In the west, a lone exploring tank meets the Germans and we trade Alphabet for 10g + Bronzeworking before declaring war. The tank is soon met by a non-trivial stack of 12 archers and spearmen.

Late (Until 3250 BC)
We capture Salmanca from 2 spearmen and recieve 5 slaves (the tank loses 3 hps to the last spear).

More Iroquois warriors are destroyed as they attempt to retake their capital.

In the east, the spear/archer stack retreats back toward Germany for reasons unkown. After covering with a regular tank, the elite picks off a spearman from the stack, but loses 3 hp in the process.

Who's next :)

1 - 3200BC: nothing special
2 - 3150BC: move the wounded tanks to towns; quell resistance in Salamanca; use the eastern tank's zone of control to hurt passing germans; we get spices and a granary in Amsterdam - settler started
3 - 3100BC: nothing special
4 - 3050BC: we meet the Aztechs and trade in the alphabet + 80 gold for masonry, warrior code and ceremonial burial; we start war with the Aztechs; T3 becomes a veteran; resistance in Salamnca ends, but it is unhappy beyond repair, so starvation will be the way to go
5 - 3000BC: brave T3 defeats two of the horrible spears without a dent and is now elite; Babylos finishes The Colossus
6 - 2950BC: some minor battles
7 - 2900BC: we get pushed back by the Aztechs; our first warrior is built
8 - 2850BC: we kill many Aztechs and some German units
9 - 2800BC: Amsterdam: settler - barracks
10 - 2750BC: German forces are defeated, but one spear and one archer; we are closing in on Texcoco

This game really plays diffent...biggest problem so far is the defensive bombardment of the archers - it does damage often. Use terrain and do not get overconfident - the tanks take damage faster than you guess (or at least as I guessed).

Aztech front:

German front - with proposed settling spot:

preturn: no changes.

2710: Some Germans and Iriqouis troops shelled into oblivion. Settler heads for the wines, which we should be able to get online much sooner than the silks, brings us a bit closer to connecting Salamanca to our empire, and is within more defensible distance of Amsterdam. Science knocked down a bit, still getting IW in 2 turns.

2670: T1 sacks Texcoco, producing a GL and will henceforth be known as the T1000. I decide to have Abel Tasman make a run for Amsterdam before turning into an army, where we should be able to fill him with swords eventually.

2630: We finish Iron Working, start on The Wheel at 50% (in 16 turns at +0gpt). We have a convenient iron source near the grapes, and placing a second city at grs's spot will put it within our borders, no temple necessary.

2590: Rotterdam founded -> curragh. We get a warrior from the nearby hut, who will be assuming MP duties. Note barbarians wandering near both Salamanca and Rotterdam. Set a Salamancan citizen to belly dancing until the warrior can complete and assume MP duties.

2550: Amsterdam builds barracks -> warrior.

2510: We capture Tlatelco -> warrior. We capture Leipzig -> warrior. Leipzig still has a functional barracks.

IT: Aztecs finish Pyramids.

2470: Amsterdam builds warrior -> settler. Abel arrives at Amsterdam and turns into an army, now all he needs are some swordsmen to lead. I fortify the army in Amsterdam, having no current use for it, but don't forget it's there ;).

2430: Salamanca builds warrior -> temple. Between the whip and that tree, it could come online as soon as 10 turns, but feel free to revise that decision :p. Kill off a barb settlement near Salamanca.

2390: It looks like the AI cities may already not be worth keeping, as 2 rounds of a fortified tank has not quelled either resister yet.

2350: Keep Slamanca happy with a scientist.

summary: Connected wine and discovered nearby ore. Harassed the AI a bit, razed and conquered a few cities, although I probably shouldn't have wasted any time trying to pacify the resisters, but oh well. Should be able to eliminate the Iriquois next turn, although their size 1 capital probably means they have a settler somewhere nearby. Need to connect the ore and get some swords in our army. I suggest we settle on grs's dot, bringing ore and silk within our borders.

Our empire (not pictured is the Iriquois capital with our tank sitting next to it, of which you can see the cultural border in the upper left.):

2390: It looks like the AI cities may already not be worth keeping, as 2 rounds of a fortified tank has not quelled either resister yet.

A tank does not quell resistance better than a warrior, but 2 units should be sufficiant for that job, then starve down the foreigners. We should not waste "free" cities that soon in the game.

A tank does not quell resistance better than a warrior, but 2 units should be sufficiant for that job, then starve down the foreigners. We should not waste "free" cities that soon in the game.
If I read this variant correctly you can't get new tanks. If that is true, then tanks shouldn't be in a resisting city to begin with. I think you would hate to lose a rare tank to a flip.

LKendter said:
If I read this variant correctly you can't get new tanks. If that is true, then tanks shouldn't be in a resisting city to begin with. I think you would hate to lose a rare tank to a flip.

It's so early that, even on Sid, no civ should have any culture but their capital. I strongly doubt you'll see any flips this early.

Wow, very interesting. I think I may have a crack at it down the line. If you guys survive! :lol: j/k

Zwi3 - Dukakis!

2350 BC (0)
Swap tiles so Settler comes timed with growth in Amsterdam, and swap Rotterdam onto Barracks from Curragh. We don't need to meet more people yet.

We're quite thin on troops. Might have to circle the Tanks back while we flesh out the core.

2310 BC (1)
German spear steps on a tile and the settler completes anyway. Queue up a Warrior.

Capture Niagara Falls, and that's all for the Iroquois.

Niagara Falls claims a third lux for us, although it will be a while before it's hooked up.

Salamanca is hopelessly corrupt, so I'm going to whip a Settler in 4 turns. :)

Have to slide a Tank into Tlatelolco otherwise we'll lose the city real soon.

2270 BC (2)
Not much, just shuffle a few tiles around.

2230 BC (3)
Babylon completes the Oracle. I have three Tanks bearing down on the Aztecs, and should get two Tanks working in tandem against the Germans soon.

2190 BC (4)
Found The Hague in a decent spot. Not ideal for AW, but usually you don't have Tanks to cover in the BC era.

Definitely found Berlin, sending Tanks. Germans lost on an Archer attacking a Tank. :crazyeye: Whack two Aztecs and set up to kill two or more on the next turn.

2150 BC (5)
We get the FP message, so we have something to use the next leader on.

Still positioning, I've had to use Tanks to defend cities.

2110 BC (6)
Win a couple battles vs. the Aztecs. The third Tank is just about in position to do some killing.

2070 BC (7)
Just positioning.

2030 BC (8)
Whip Settler at Salamanca. Soon the halves of our empire will be connected.

Kill 4 German Archers, an Aztec Settler pair and an Aztec Archer. Meet the Babylonians and declare war.

1990 BC (9)
Win two battles, find Tenochtitlan. I think we may need to mass the Tanks (at least 3 of them) to attack enemy capitals.

1950 BC (10)
We're sort of surrounding Tenochtitlan, but I'm afraid we just have to fight a holding action at Berlin. Too many units to push the Tanks forward. Still whack an Aztec settler pair, although extricating the slaves should be tricky. Bag a German Archer and an Aztec Archer.

We don't have the Iron hooked up yet, I was just trying to get all of our cities connected. Once the roads are built we can use our slaves to improve from the core out.

It certainly appears as though we don't have a neighbor N of Niagara Falls.

This is actually getting interesting. If we spread the Tanks out we can't make progress anywhere. If we mass the Tanks we have to play almost-honest Sid AW on the other front. I would propose a holding action to the E and N, and try to gut the Aztecs. I don't think there is anyone S or W of them.

Couple of pictures of the empire:

Settler is circled. I think he should found on the spot where he is standing. Blue dot is a nice complementary spot to link our empire. Plus it's on a Hill and across a river, so it is very defensible.

In the East:

Bit of AI troop volume there. :lol:

Zwingli SID Tank Battle Royale

Preturn – 3 Aztec cities we can see that need the tank treatment and then on to the Germans. 1 worker and 12 slaves. We are going to need a worker factory to fix our island up before the other continent comes calling. I’m swapping salamana’s 29 turn settler to reg warriors for mp for our future towns. Next settler is going to floddplains to set up a worker factory and capital can stay on settlers.
IT – Niagra gets an MP. Babs are coming.
[1] 1910 – Healed T3 swaps places with 3hp T2 in Germany front. T3 is heading back towards Franfurt. Found Utrecht on the coast to connect up our ex Iro towns. Blast on archer near Teno and take the slaves nder one tank with me to blast a spear in Teno. Tank at Tlatwill wait until the kill is near.
[2] 1870 – Math comes in, set to Myst in 4 at +6gpt. This research assist is sweet! T1000 takes 2hp loss killing one spear. T5 takes 1 hp loss killing 2. God I would hate to lose a tank to a spear. T1000 needs a respite. Road is connected to our west and I’m irrigating the wines.
[3] 1830 - Wow! T2 goes down to 1hp defending Leipzig but makes it through to go 5/5 on the IT. Destroy Frankfurt. New settler decides he likes the spices AND floodplains. It will be off the coast but on a river. Kill 2 more Teno spears but both will rest at 3hp. Still a spear showing and a bombarding archer in there. Amsterdam to warrior. 4 archers and 3 warriors will attack Leipzig next turn.
[4] 1790 – Thank god the Bab warriors bugged out. The 4 archers took him down to 1hp again. But he heals completely on the IT. Germany has 4 towns and Aztecs 7.
[5] 1750 – ZoC at Teno, which is nice. No attacks. Amsterdam-Warrior>Settler. Kill one Jag near Tlat. Personally I think we should abandon it so the tank can get to work. Adjust slider on Myst discovery next turn. I’m thinking Babs may be at war with Germany. I’m perching T2 on a hill to check.
[6] 1725 – Barbs attack the Frankfurt killer. HA! ZOC in Teno again. Myst is in, set for writing in 5 at max 90%. Gronigen founded between Leipzig and Amsterdam. I realize when the tanks at Teno don’t heal that they won’t in the borders, so they slaves die and they move out. Tlat will have to hold with its 2 warriors until I can get back there.
[7] 1700 – Sure enough, they are at war. T2 does some Berlin pillaging. Others are heading to proper spots, IMO. I think we have to withdrawl from Aztecs because about 4 units I ZoC’ed are incoming to the home towns.
[8] 1675 – Pulling 3 Aztec tanks back to go hunting with one staying at Tlat. Waste of a good resoce, IMO. Raze and someday replace this dog I think. Amsterdam will grow and pop a settler next turn.
[9] 1650 – Silks are hooked up. Lux to 0% for now. Amsterdam-Settler>Spear, Utrecht-Worker>Worker, Salamanca- Warrior> Rax for court after CoL comes in. Settler heads for plains near hills and Flood plains. Kill a spear heading for Leipzig on the way back from re-con. Tlat 5/5 tank heads for new town Aztecs founded.
[10] The new town is undefended. Raze it and head towards Niagra, just in case. The other healed tanks can kill some strays that should go for Tlat on the IT. You can pillage the german wheat and then head back. Workers are roading east and the other 3 in the core can get the iron hooked up soon. It’s about time for some swords, courts and markets. Then sprint to monarchy. The other techs will come in quicker with markets in the core. Keep the settlers coming. Watch the MM on Amsterdam to get settler on growth.

The core taking shape. My ideas for next 2 towns. There's plenty of floodplains to go around.

Top Bottom