Zwi3: Shell and Shield (C3C 1.22 Open)

Yeah, rushing a marketplace with a leader does kind of suck :p, but I couldn't see us doing anything else with him for at least 10 turns. If our swordsman can stop dying long enough to promote, we'll almost certainly get another leader within that time given the number of units the Babs send every turn.

We can't yet build the FP, although we must be close to the required number of cities (I hope anyway); that is certainly what the next leader needs to be used for.

For the next player, I neglected to pull a spear out of Groningen to head for Haarlem (which will be under threat by a German archer in 2 turns), so at least that should be done before hitting <enter> on my turn.

Just a random thought.. we should probably crank out a curragh or two to patrol the seas around Amsterdam/Rotterdam. Having at least a 1 turn warning about incoming AI galleys would be extremely helpful.

Kickstart

It looks like this game has stalled due to an unexpected increase in difficulty, so I decided to play enough turns to get back on track (~30 turns). After finishing this month’s SGOTM, my skills should finally be back up to the challenge :).

Early
I pull the trigger on revolting to Monarchy and roll a nasty 7 turn anarchy. By gaining control of the mountains and forcing Babylon to pass over flat ground, we survive the anarchy without losses and emerge into Monarchy with reasonable income.

Middle
I set most cities to build catapults in order to shore up the defenses on the eastern front. After a few swordsmen complete, we send 2 tanks and an army to attack Sippar, but Babylon can replace the defenders too quickly and we retreat with redlined tanks. Our iron is pillaged by the Aztecs, but we regain control and the western front remain stable. We get two great leaders who rush the Forbidden Palace and a marketplace in Haarlem.

Late
After the tanks and army recover from Sippar, I decide on a direct attack on Berlin and the Great Library sending 2 tanks and an army. While the forces are en-route, we get another leader on the Eastern front and rush another marketplace. Finally, we reach Berlin and attack the defending pikemen.

We get all techs up to Gunpowder and Education from the Library before abandoning Berlin and pulling back. On the way back, the troops raze Nuremburg leaving a large open area to our East. We also upgrade most swordsmen to MI, spearmen to Swiss Mercs, and catapults to Treb’s. We squander a few Mercs attacking redlined troops to try to start the GA, but give up on the idea. Finally, a couple Babylonian MI attack one of our Mercs and...

With our borders relatively secure (plenty of Trebs) and our production at high levels, I hand off the save to the next player. I did not attempt any expansion during my turns due to the large volume of incoming troops, but once the tanks and armies heal we should be ready to acquire some new cities (it will take at least 4 tanks/armies + MI support to safely destroy a Babylonian city). We should probably focus on Babylon who is quickly becoming the runaway civ, while keeping the western front static. After abandoning Berlin, I neglected to pillage the horse resource in neutral territory. This should be done as soon as possible to prevent Babylon from mass producing knights. We should be able to move the eastern front northward until we can claim the horse resource for our own uses.

Attachments

• zwi3_150ad_map.jpg
    zwi3_150ad_map.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 66
Preturn: Zero science at AW? We need to research, IMHO. I switch to max research. We really could use more towns.
I switch a town or two to settlers.

Early: Work on building settlers for more towns and more Swiss Mercs. Lose a few MDI vs 1 hp pikes.

Mid: Destroy the german town to the South. Get a leader and build an army. I am going for horses so may not fill yet.
Get a second leader and Rush the Pentagon

Late: Get unlucky and lose a Tank :cry:
Finally find the Babylon iron.

Notes:
Make sure the Army pillages the Babylon Iron! The army has to pillage it before it moves. This will help a lot if that is their only iron.

We have some town to the S that are unguarded. Disband them if any unit moves near them. I kept them to try to lure the enemy away from our core towns. Oddly, it hasn't worked.

The Hittites and Aztecs are at war. You may see less Aztec troops soon.

There is an empty army waiting for knights right next to the capitol.

I really pushed hard to get knights. Our defensive position is a bit weak on the Babylon border. We may want to have a knight army head over there or have an army head home. The armies were out to find the iron. I would leave one out in the field to pillage however. Note that both our armies can have one more unit.

Keep pushing science for Cavalry. They will help a lot.

Top Bottom