Barbarian Assault feedback

Kael

Deity
Post your feedback for this scenario here.

OK, just to mention what I assumed in the bug thread again:
I took the Ljos & find my starting position empty of any wood except two tiles (deer & fur), the areas to be explored is heavily jungled/forested, just my patch is without wood; hampers me a bit for the startup & is OK, just wanted to know, If I found an ancient forest disease bug there!

My only feedback so far is that I've tried 3 games, and had the worst luck possible. I've never had so many odd/terrible scenarios. Yikes. :crazyeye:

Well, after my three horrible starts (horrible lair results, orthus spawning right next to me twice), my wife starts up with the dwarves, and has multiple copper resources, tons of resources everywhere, 2 great choke points, on and on. Better than all of my starts combined.

:rolleyes:

With Hippus, I managed to get my Horseman to Sheelba's lands VERY early, capture her 2nd city (was guarded by 1 warrior), then I healed up and built warriors there. I should have razed it I realize now.

After a while, my Horseman was Combat V, Shock 1, Flanking I. I checked out the capital. I had decent odds, 77% vs the Orc Champion, then I realized my world spell existed. I used it, killed all defenders in one go with my single Horseman. 109 turns, I WIN! Most of that time spent waiting unnecessary with my horseman in the captured Clan city.

Was a fun scenario. Seemed buggy that Charadon was at 0 score the whole game, which made him be removed after the first 100 turns...
I could also get peace with him, which I guess is intentional.

just finished this one playing as the hippus, and despite having orthus spawn near me, in the same turn i see a stack of doviello marching at me, i didn't have that much trouble winning. The only problem i had was with gurud: i was just able to build axemen, as the str. 22 beast started attacking my cities. I only won because i finished off sheelba before he could reach my 2nd. Didn't he used to have AI_ANIMAL?

I really enjoyed this scenario, although I was a bit worried that I'd have to restart when I began within one square of a barbarian city.

Gurud was, fortunately, as much a problem for Sheelba as he was for me.

This scenario ended up a lot easier than I thought it would be. Played elves, beelined hunting, then standard FoL. I may have gotten lucky in that the Doviello and Hippus seemed to have bad stars, so I had a bit of a cushion (this was Emperor btw). Starting at war means the AI tends to spam military units so keeping score up wasn't too bad (just had to hold off an early Doviello rush).

Anyway I teched all the way to Feral Bond hoping to build the Baron but I guess he's disabled. Finally went down and wiped out the Clan. I played this one first b/c of the barb bonus. Overall it was lots of fun but I was hoping the Clan would have a few more surprises in store.

Everything was going great as Elohem. Till Gurud showed up, my first time meeting the big dirty ape. Nothing, and I mean nothing in my empire could stop him. Burned about 1500 stockpiled gold buying archers, and he just ate em. Glad that's not happened in the regular game, don't see anything beyond a stack of longbows/high level recon force stopping the beast.

When you start in the top-right position, it's possible for some of your units to spawn on top of the barb city placed there, which immediately conquers it AND razes it since it's only got 1 pop.

Kinda sucky when it happens as Khazad and you start with a Wood Golem who could conquer and keep the city once it's size 2...

I liked it, though the time limit makes it a bit hard unless you play Hippus. I got REALLY lucky as the Hippus, went on an epic 100+ turn adventure with my starter horseman and gained a lot of experience, got teleported and found the Clan cities. Razed the first, killed the archer and champion, walked out of their territory to rest up a bit. Then i see this huge ass gorilla near my capital. I would have gotten wiped out if i had not gambled and seized the city at a 60% success rate.

Tried to play as the Elves first, went kinda nice until i saw the message "47 turns left!" :(

Played as good elves (patch f) on normal speed emperor difficulty and had no problem. Orthus spawned nearby and was killed at a price of one hunter. I then mostly built only hunters, a few archers, and Silveric who got the axe. Sheaim was on the other side of the map, so I sent hero and 3 or 4 promoted hunters with some spiders there and with some help from other good guys, Sheaim was eliminated around turn 200. I think this scenario is very balanced and thought through. :goodjob: The jungle is supposed to be there.

For some reason, I gave the hero Precision promotion and then could not find in Civilopedia what it actually does. Also found Timor mask in some ruins and gave it to a hunter and sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not, really don't know why.

I'm having a slight problem with this scenario.
There is no Clan of Ember player left, just me and three others but the goal still states I should kill Sheelba. Must I kill all the other players to win?
I should add I wasn't the one who conquered her last city.

Have had very strange luck with this scenario. Tried it on Emperor as Bannor, found the starting position to be literally impossible.. capital could not grow past size 1 thanks to jungle unhealthiness.

Tried it on Emperor as Luchuirp, after several early defeats, I managed to hang onto my capital long enough to get Barnaxus and some wood golems up, clear the jungle and get access to copper, etc.. eventually quit the game because I was getting spammed by such massive numbers of orcs that although they couldn't take my one city I had no hope of expanding or winning anytime soon (Sheelba and her friend both had 4-5x my score, most of the other AIs had been defeated, the Clan basically controlled the map).

Last try, took difficulty down to Monarch as Ljosalfar, the elves seem to have an amazing starting spot that puts the dwarves and bannor to shame, lovely plains/grassland with no jungle to slow them down, the Clan hardly seems to bother them, you just see the occasional barbarian. So without intense jungle unhealthiness and constant Clan attacks, I was able to found FotL, explore a bit with hunters, was having a great time until - hilariously - the Hippus (AI!!) defeated Sheelba about 100 or so turns in. It creditted me with the victory.. this is not, I'm sure, how the scenario is supposed to play out..

This scenario was fun.

I have a couple of small bugs to report. The dwarves were removed by the King of the Hill mechanic three times. I think the game was already down to five players and continued to eliminate one every so often. The dwarves poped up the last three times. After the objective changed to conquer Sheeba, I started in on her with little resistance. I took aout all of her cities but one which was far away. While trying to move my stack through allied lands to take the last city a victory screen popped up so I assume one of the other AI players took her last city.

To fix both of these problems I would recommend a minor change. Make the King of the Hill mechanic remove all players except the top (the human player hopefully) and the two clan players. That would make the game progress towards a brawl with the Clan at the end which I think was the intension. As it is now, the human player can turtle to a victory as the AI players take on the Clan.

As in the Radiant Guard scenario, the Maelstrom spell was overpowered. Two mages with Air II can reduce the hp of all the units in a city with ease. There is no reason to build siege/mage units that can tear down defenses when two Air mages can reduce the defenders to 2 or less hp each.

I'm not sure if this is a feature of the scenario or not - I researched Honour but didn't found Empyrean. If that's intended, it would be worth including in the scenario notes, along with anything else that's disabled.

Gurid ruined my first attempt with Bannor but my 2nd with Amurites was great, I used the starting adept to set the jungle on fire =)

Top Bottom