Barbarian Assault feedback

Patch K lists this change.
Kael said:
14. Fixed an issue that would cause a player to stick around after being defeated if he had equipment.
I wonder if that will stop the Luuchrip from staying around in this scenario.

Hmm perhaps this has been changed since I played the scenario, but if you play as the Luchirup (Sp?) And take your wood golem and warrior straight east, you can wipe out the clan in that area, making the scenario significantly easier

I've noticed the starting locations are randomized, i.e. to games witht he same race will not start in the same location. Also, the various starting locations are not the least bit ballanced.

Got crushed as the Bannor my first try. Played at emperor. I also had horrible health, but I played on. I got to 4 cities, some nice resources hooked up and had the second highest score, but I finally succumbed to waves of attackers. Maybe if i had found copper I would have had a better chance.

Best wishes,

Breunor

I built the mines of guldur for iron, hopefully that will make a difference in the end.

Mines of Guldur were awesome since I don't have any minerals near me, built Bombur and some Earthwardens and now taking iron shock/formation swordsmen with enchanted weapons and shield of faith around beating up all the barbs. Will turn my sights on Sheelba once I grab reagents (Playing as Dain). I ran prophets and bulbed all the early religions for the mana.

With Hippus, I managed to get my Horseman to Sheelba's lands VERY early, capture her 2nd city (was guarded by 1 warrior), then I healed up and built warriors there. I should have razed it I realize now.

After a while, my Horseman was Combat V, Shock 1, Flanking I. I checked out the capital. I had decent odds, 77% vs the Orc Champion, then I realized my world spell existed. I used it, killed all defenders in one go with my single Horseman. 109 turns, I WIN! Most of that time spent waiting unnecessary with my horseman in the captured Clan city.

Was a fun scenario. Seemed buggy that Charadon was at 0 score the whole game, which made him be removed after the first 100 turns...
I could also get peace with him, which I guess is intentional.

This is pretty much what I did, all that jungle was painful but having moved around a bit with my starting settler it all looked the same, so I figured the whole map was covered in it, that -25% defense for the rooted champion makes it easily killable with your Horsemen. The only exception is that I evacuated my starting capital and patiently waited for the barbs to take it so I could get back to some positive research. Unfortunately I lost my 50ish xp horsemen to a damn griffin just north of the desert area near my new capital, my exploration of the map pretty much stopped dead at that point because I had little time to do anythign other then defend against swarms of barbs. Unfortunately for me Sheelba had somehow managed to grab a city off the Khazad or something way up in the north eastern part of the map, I hadn't explored it so never knew about it until much later and had simply assumed she started with multiple cities spread out, seeing as the name of the game was to defeat her that's what I figured it had to be. Shortly after the big ape spawned he took her out and I won the game, just as I was about to start making headway, that worked though because it was getting quite boring. It wasn't until I checked out the play by play turn thing that I realized I could have won soo much earlier if she hadn't taken that dwarven city before I took her capital.

I found this scenario not particularly difficult on monarch. Played as Luichirp and had a great chokepoint for my capital. Had 2 pigs+rice+copper right next to capital too. No barb problems because I had Elohim as buffer. The whole left side of the map got wiped out by an uber-powerful Sheelba but on the right side, the other Clan leader got crushed by me and Ljolsfar early, early on with wood golems and catapults. Founded RoK. The game turned into a long, long attrition war with me, Elohim, and Ljolsfar fighting Sheelba. Only thing that sucked was that I had no mithril in my territory, and only got iron via Mines of Gardur. Finally began to gain ground with iron golems and nullstone golems until I conquered the remnants of Bannor and the Amurites in the Northeast part of the map. Btw i gifted tons of techs to my Bannor and Ljolsfar, because I figured it doesnt really matter who takes the cities as long as The Clan died.

this one was lots of fun. I was truly shocked when I witnessed Gurid coming inside my borders to attack my capital. killing him felt kinda epic :D

I FINALLY won, I lost more times than I want to admit. Oddly, I don't think I did that much differently when I won. The biggest difference seems to be how well the other non-orc factions can hold back the orcs. Once when I lost I had a great Civ and was beating Hafgan pretty well but I was basically fighting both orc factions by myself and was overwhelmed. In the game I won. the Liurchup were basically holding Hagfan back, the elves were holding on against Sheelba, and I was able to do my thing.

I do think the starting location is important, there are some bad ones.

Lot's of fun, great job by the designers!

Best wishes,

Breunor

This scenario somehow ended really quick for me the first time I played it. The key was the starting horseman :). In my case, it was my 'scout' per se for its 2 movement (although quite slow on the jungle tiles but meh). So yeah, he encounters barbs here and there, combat upgrades etc. I wasn't really expecting a quick win on this one (i.e. The Momus is crazy... long).

Then, I spot one of the barbarian civs I was up against with one warrior in only city. Bam. 95% win, one down. Once healed up, he went southwest and the last two barb civs were there real close to each other. The horseman had 60% flanking and I was harassing those cities (only 3 of them) kidnapped workers etc. Eventually, they all fell and I ended up with a level 11 horseman all in about 50 turns.

Maybe I should play it again. Do we start on random places or is it like the other scenarios (i.e. starting position pretty much the same).?

I think it is the same map but that the starting locations change (not sure if the Orcs or Sheelba do, but the other factions will start in different spots).

Best wishes,

Breunor

I actually got really frustrated - and then really lucky - with this one. I played as the Hippus the first time - and was in solid, SOLID, capital can't grow to size 2, jungle. Captured some barb cities, found Sheelba, but was way, way behind, then I realized I had a really strong horseman though...

So the next time I just leveled up the horseman, sent a couple warriors too. I think taking Sheelba's second city triggered Gurid, right? He went on a rampage, killing Bannor I think, and then my cap, but Sheelba just had her cap and I had relocated right down there, my uber-horseman + other units beat her.

After reading this thread I realized I missed out a lot on this scenario - I'd just seen my start and Bannor and assumed it was kind of "jungles everywhere, just fight barbs and the Clan" yet there could be more to it... oh well.

all AI civs except for the Clan where slaughtered kinda quickly by barbs when I played at Noble level. I assume that without good bonuses against the barbs at lower difficulty levels, the AIs are getting killed way too easy

Not sure if this happens to anyone else, but when I try to use the Hippus or the Bannor I get a CtD. I'm using 'patch t'.

EDIT: Okay, weird. I got it working properly now after a few more attempts. Just ignore my craziness.

This was easy. Took it in one hour. It was only hard in the beginning. And i sent a swordsman stack to their capital and they had

Spoiler :
A champion (wtf?) oh and a wolf rider.

And I always receive a CtD, when trying to start this scenario - no problem with the other ones, though.

Yea, something tells me getting copper or iron is key to winning this one.

Much agreed. I've been wiped out in both of my games (Bannor 1, and Hippus 2) but I didn't find copper in either one. :(

Top Bottom