Civ 5 Design Challenge II - Mechanics

New rule!!! Everybody who submits a design must vote. Its not fair otherwise.

Imagine a situation when there are 2 designs, and one of them is wining by a single vote. However, the creator of the wining design didn't vote. Which isn't fair, since he won't be able to win otherwise.

Or he could just vote for someone with no votes or 2 less than him. There's not going to be a scenario where there's only 2 designs anymore. Plus, if you add this rule you increase the chance of ties which nobody likes. It's not really worth it in my opinion. Also, what are we gonna do if someone doesn't vote? Wait for them thus pushing back the entire schedule? Penalize them? How would we even do that? And there are times where people don't have time to read through alll the designs, analyze them, and pick a winner. Also, sometimes we just forget it's the voting period. Hell, even GPuzzle forgot about the contest this week.

Well, it was a suggestion...
(Also, people who don't have time usually don't waste it on creating designs at the first place)

Well, it was a suggestion...
(Also, people who don't have time usually don't waste it on creating designs at the first place)

Some people enjoy 'wasting' their time creating designs, and the prompts here and in the other challenge thread are great ways to be pushed into thinking outside the box on these ideas. However, while they would willingly dedicate some time to making an idea - they may be hard pressed to find enough to sit down and critically read through 5-10 of other people's ones to make a decent voting decision. Honestly, its the reason now I've only just posted what I came up with on these threads - as I felt the same way as you and didn't want to contribute just to say something without the voting. However, I feel as if most folks shouldn't have the same pressures (like I self-consciously held on myself), especially if we/you/GPuzzle find a way to enforce them.

As for the suggestion itself: in a perfect world, I agree with it fully.

Also, GPuzzle, If you have'nt an idea yet, how about something along the lines of gaining free units for maintaining DoFs? (you'd have to word it more specifically)

Some people enjoy 'wasting' their time creating designs, and the prompts here and in the other challenge thread are great ways to be pushed into thinking outside the box on these ideas. However, while they would willingly dedicate some time to making an idea - they may be hard pressed to find enough to sit down and critically read through 5-10 of other people's ones to make a decent voting decision. Honestly, its the reason now I've only just posted what I came up with on these threads - as I felt the same way as you and didn't want to contribute just to say something without the voting. However, I feel as if most folks shouldn't have the same pressures (like I self-consciously held on myself), especially if we/you/GPuzzle find a way to enforce them.

As for the suggestion itself: in a perfect world, I agree with it fully.

Also, GPuzzle, If you have'nt an idea yet, how about something along the lines of gaining free units for maintaining DoFs? (you'd have to word it more specifically)

Hey! it's my turn to give an impossible ability! :p

Hey! it's my turn to give an impossible ability! :p

Well, considering we're just wasting (use or expend carelessly, extravagantly, or to no purpose) our time on this, its not like possibility matter much... So, go ahead! :p

More seriously, with a bunch of code stuff far beyond my understanding it should be possible to see/count consecutive turns one civ has had with another - and then trigger events (like giving the player/AI a unit) after the count hits certain values, no? It might not be, I have no actual idea.

I didn't mean it that way... I like making designs(and history is my favorite subject).

Waiiiiittt Egypt split is released on 21st that's bit such a good idea...

*civilization overload*

Can someone translate?

Most of the Egypt civs my various modders (MC, JFD, and one or two others I think) are being released on the 21st. Firstly he's nerdgasming from that - and somehow being able to post a civ design here on the same day is adding to the excitement... Maybe.

Translation not guarantied to be 100% perfect.

Can someone translate?
I would guess the meaning becomes clear if you change the 'bit' to 'not' in his post (this happens to me fairly often when writing from my phone because of the not-always-so-reliable autocorrect functionality). Thus, I think what Natan is trying to say, is that the new challenge shouldn't be announced the same day as the Egypt spilt is going to be released, since no one will have time to actually participate in the challenge. Maybe?

...the new challenge shouldn't be announced the same day as the Egypt spilt is going to be released, since no one will have time to actually participate in the challenge. Maybe?
This is why I so just jealous-hate El Jefe, TPangolin, and co., sometimes.
  1. They release a mod -- steam workshop goes crazy
  2. I release a mod -- crickets go chirp, chirp, chirp and then my mod gets exiled to the Steam Workshop version of The Island of Misfit Toys.
  3. If my mod does manage to claw its way to the top of the Steam Workshop mod-dogpile, refer to #1

I would guess the meaning becomes clear if you change the 'bit' to 'not' in his post (this happens to me fairly often when writing from my phone because of the not-always-so-reliable autocorrect functionality). Thus, I think what Natan is trying to say, is that the new challenge shouldn't be announced the same day as the Egypt spilt is going to be released, since no one will have time to actually participate in the challenge. Maybe?

1. Thank you, your grace, for helping me.
2. @LeeS: influence doesn't matter if you haven't adopted an ideology.... Just pick one. Beware the dangers, though, as the pressure might wreck havoc upon your empire.

(Feeling like writing today)

So, NiaoMeow's mechanic is...

Gain :c5science: Science from :c5culture: Culture.

Just that. It can be generated in pretty much any way possible. Hell, you can even apply it to UUs, UBs and UIs.

Go wild.

Someone's gotta go first.

Qara-Khitai
Adjective: Khitai
Leader: Kuchlug
Capital: Bagasagun
UA: In the Image of Cathay: Capturing a city (with more than 3 pop remaining) gives a science boost equal to the half the culture per turn of the civ that held the city. Tribute from city-states is 20% more effective.
UU: Khitan - Replaces Horseman. Generates golden age points for dealing damage. Requires no Horse Resource to build, but has double upkeep. 14 strength.
UB: Liao Stupa - Replaces Amphitheatre. Gives a moderate boost of science upon completion. Normal everything applies.

Top Bottom