Civ 5 Design Challenge II - Mechanics

We clearly think the same way(no offence ;)), and I already posted an Iroquois split, BTW.
Anyway, your design is good, but:

1. The UU: I assume you are aware the frigate has 28 ranged strength, and therefore boosting its melee strength by 5 will make it stronger in melee battles then in ranged attacks, which is quite unusual.
2. UI is nice(and everything a UI should be :goodjob:), but UIs shouldn't really replace anything... Also how about it boosting the defensive strength of adjacent naval units.

(Am I sounding like Scott? :p)

We clearly think the same way(no offence ;)), and I already posted an Iroquois split, BTW.
Anyway, your design is good, but:

1. The UU: I assume you are aware the frigate has 28 ranged strength, and therefore boosting its melee strength by 5 will make it stronger in melee battles then in ranged attacks, which is quite unusual.
2. UI is nice(and everything a UI should be :goodjob:), but UIs shouldn't really replace anything... Also how about it boosting the defensive strength of adjacent naval units.

(Am I sounding like Scott? :p)

Thanks for the input!

1. The Fu-chuan Junk is supposed to be very tough, and I didn't want to make it too overpowered
2. I totally forgot that UIs don't replace anything... also you are right that it should give naval bonuses, but I also wanted Taiwan to have something land-based (although you do have to build the village on land :p)
3. You do sound like Scott
4. I remember the days when you were like kerigan
5. I can't stop typing like you
6. I really like your design, and it is sooo much better than the Firaxis one
7. Your polandball avatar is what made me want one
8. I have gone completly off-track

3. Oh my. Who are we? Small Heath rifles!
4. I was here before kerrigan, and I'm not just kerrigan, I'm a Scottish kerrigan. :p
5. Yeah IKR...
6. Someone appreciates historical accuracy! Finally...
7. Its not a polanball, its an Israelcube. Made in Israel, yo.
8. Yeah same here. :p:p:p

(May JFDeus save us)

On other topic:)mischief:), have you thought about shortening the time of the voting?

The Agar - Red Cyrdar

UA: It’s ours, but I rather burn it down - Pillaging, plundering and razing grant resources and Reaver points. During War, cities get +1 :c5production: Production for each military unit trained; this bonus is lost if not at war or if the city finishes producing anything other than a military unit.

UU: Reaver - Replaces the Great General but is a Combat unit. :c5strength: Combat Strength updates based on Era. Strikes fear on enemies and has +100% Strength against Armored and Unique Units.

UU: Storm Dragon - Replaces nothing, available at Metallurgy. May move after attacking, has 4 :c5moves: Movement, 35CS and great defensive capabilities against non-ranged/non-gunpowder units. Ignores terrain cost and may move above mountains. Very costly, high maintenance cost. Costs Gold even when normally trained. Limit of 4 units.

I've been working on a civ that I'd hit a bit of a creative wall with... but the suggested mechanic for this round got my gears turning, and has so far lead to this design:

Neo-Arcadia
Leader: Dr. Weil

UA: Philosophy of Rule
Each city you found may reveal Energen Crystals, which when worked increase production in the :c5capital: capital by 5%. When razing a city, receive a bonus of +20% to :c5production: Production and :c5gold: Gold in the :c5capital: capital, and gain a new :c5citizen: citizen in the :c5capital: capital for every 3 turns of razing.

UU: Variant
Replaces Infantry. Starts with the Variant Module promotion, which increases combat strength by 10% when adjacent to a friendly unit, and has access to unique promotions to tailor its battlefield role.

UI: Dome
Available at Engineering. +1 :c5food: Food and +1 :c5production: Production. +1 :c5production: Production and +1 :c5gold: Gold with Industrialization. When constructed, you have the option to move 1 population from the :c5capital: capital to the city with the Dome. If a city is captured, 1 population per unpillaged Dome is redistributed to your remaining cities. Cannot be built adjacent to each other.

Another one of the "Gain population in the capital by razing cities" submissions. :p But I did really like how the idea evoked the flavor of his tyrannical rule in the Mega Man Zero games, to the point that people attempted to flee Neo-Arcadia and set up new settlements in the remaining habitable areas on Earth, and how Dr. Weil conducted Operation Ragnarok to destroy them and force the surviving humans to live under his rule in Neo-Arcadia. Given that he was willing to incinerate Area Zero from orbit, a razing mechanic suits him very well. :p

One concern I have is that the Dome was very much inspired by Tomatekh's Sioux, and still shares a lot of its mechanics. I do really like how the "move population from the capital to the Dome" mechanic works with both parts of the UA, as you can raze a city, then move the population into Domes to work newfound Energen Crystals sites. The second ability is also very reflective of the point in Mega Man Zero 4 when the central portion of Neo-Arcadia was destroyed by an orbital strike, but the Resistance was able to evacuate the outlying districts. So I think it's very flavorful to the events in the game, although it's also still very mechanically similar to the Sioux's Tipi. I'm not entirely sure how much it may bother people.

I should probably toss this current design up in my own thread to get some feedback on it while I work on it. X3

Dat avatar, Dat design, Dat weirdly looking game, Dat Jetix(I think) TV series, perfect. Now, you have me a headache. Thank you. :p

The Tatar Confederation

Leader: Otuz Bodun

UA: The Mercenary Clans: Gain +25% gold in the capital for every city being raised in the empire (stacks infinitely [OP or not?]). Units pillage tiles with no cost. Gain twice the gold from pillaging.

UU: Gobi Raider - Replaces Horseman. Melee attacks have a chance to force the enemy to withdraw after taking damage and before hurting the Tatar unit.

UB: Kul Tigrin - Replaces monument. +1 faith. No maintenance.

Very nice design. When you say city being razed, do you mean in the same turn? If yes, its not OP. I like that UB, as well.

Very nice design. When you say city being razed, do you mean in the same turn? If yes, its not OP. I like that UB, as well.

Aye, every city being raised that turn - thinking about it, the whole UA might even be slightly underpowered in general.

The idea behind the UB is to, alongside it being very historically relevant, encourage a liberty start by counteracting the monument meta that comes with going tradition alongside allowing one to not have to go pottery to get a fast pantheon (allowing aggressive tech pathing).

The UU, due to lack of knowledge on the Tatar in Mongolia, was just making the horseman pushier (literally), which I feel fits the theme.

I vote for Niao. Very synergetic design.

My vote goes to NiaoMeow's Taiwan.

NiaoMeow wins by the virtue of being the only one to get more than a single vote! You have until 14/09 to send me a mechanic which will be posted in here on the next Monday.

Crap, sorry, I was unable to post due to tests this week. The Challenge begins again on the 21st of September.

Top Bottom