Civ design challenge

Speaking of, do you guys think it would be worth shortening the amount of time we have to get votes in? It seems a bit odd to give as much time for voting as you get for actually making the design, since its obviously much easier to vote than to create a civ! Would five days be better?

Yeah... I suppose.

I would think 3 days actually it seems about enough time that everyone can get their votes in while at the same time maybe not feeling like an eternity, maybe 4 if it goes to a tie.

Rus' Khaganate
UA: Pillagers of Byzantium- Gain gold :c5gold: when attacking cities. Melee Naval units transfer their movement to embarked units
UU: Monoxyla- Replaces Trireme. Costs 33% less production :c5production: to build and has +1 movement :c5moves: . Can enter land tiles and provides a 15% siege bonus to adjacent land units. Cannot attack land units and defends at half strength to land units.
UU: Varangian- Replaces Swordsman. Costs no movement :c5moves: to pillage. During peacetime generates gold :c5gold: when on a trade unit's path.

Was a hard one... I vote for GPuzzle.

Wait: How much time does the voting last?
(Would be nice to have a strawpoll)

Is it just me, or Uighur is the new Urdnot? At least, they both have fan clubs... :p

My vote goes to Uighur_Caesar.

@Hoop Thrower, why the name Trelleborg?

It was a very roundabout result.

I read this page and learnt that Varangians started creeping downward via building fortified centers that'd let them have jumping points to keep moving east.

So I wanted to reflect that somehow and as such looked for a Nordic Fort name, looking around I found the Trelleborg and was like "eh, good enough", and that's how it ended here.

Makes sense. I simply ask because the Trelleborg is a pretty well-preserved Viking fortress here in Denmark. It actually means something like 'Castle of Thralls'. But never mind, just a fun fact :).

Yeah to be honest, I should have gone with a more generic "Borg" thing. I may have gone overboard with the Oathsworn in general, which will probably cost me this round.

Oh well, so is life.

Isn't oathsworn a pretty generic name? I didn't get the entire great merchant thing....

Isn't oathsworn a pretty generic name? I didn't get the entire great merchant thing....

Viking Answer Lady said:
Traders had to be as much warriors as businessmen, for the Slavic tribes a significant hazard. As a result, bands of Scandinavians who travelled eastwards joined formally as companies, swearing oaths of mutual assistance, defense, and support. The term for such an oath in Old Norse is var, and these eastern adventurers became known as Varangians.

I mean, yeah, I could have gone with Var. But Varangian Var felt like terrible for an unit name, much like Varangian - Varangian Guard, which is why I went with Bodyguard.

My interpretations for names didn't seem to have made too much effect unfortunately. :sad:

I mean, yeah, I could have gone with Var. But Varangian Var felt like terrible for an unit name, much like Varangian - Varangian Guard, which is why I went with Bodyguard.

My interpretations for names didn't seem to have made too much effect unfortunately. :sad:

Tell me about it... I knew I should've gone with a UI...

Top Bottom