Coronavirus 12: Don't Abandon Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
A blog post about how it's sort of odd how different governments have different levels of Covid restrictions.

That's really not odd, there different restrictions for driving, drinking, drugs, owning/using weapons, abortion etc - that's really just self-governance in practice...

Citizens get the restrictions they vote for, normally.

Yay, cases rising again.

Also, the Grauniad reports that England and Israel are banning travel from southern Africa.

The EU will likely follow later today, and some EU countries reacted already (Italy, Germany).

South Africa govt protested against the UK for their too fast response. SA complaining about economical impact.

And here you see again in a nutshell the major tension between unproven preventive actions and proven but then too late actions.
If everything you do regarding policies needs to be 100% watertight proven for every kind of policy, you have become a sitting duck.

Anyway great that SA scientists had the courage to make their findings public in this relatively early stage.

I hope that every country keeps on doing that and does not "learn the lesson" that the risk on economical damage from possibly too hasty isolation keeps the lid on such findings.

A blog post about how it's sort of odd how different governments have different levels of Covid restrictions. It's something interesting I've noticed myself as well. At my home in Oklahoma we've been left alone since May, while there are still mask mandates where I'm visiting my family in North Carolina.

https://richardhanania.substack.com/p/the-weirdness-of-government-variation

A few quotes from the article:

>I also have a cousin in Louisiana, and his kids don’t even wear masks indoors in school, while my children wear them when playing outside during recess. And they have even less transmission in their area

Louisiana has the 4th most per capita COVID deaths and is soon going to overtake New Jersey (it's now at 318 per 100,000 while NJ is 319/100,000), and join the trio of deep south COVID terrible areas, with Mississippi and Alabama. And Lousinia of the Trio has the most COVID restrictions and marginally has a higher vaccination rate, likely because they have a Democratic Governor, while the other two don't.

You really can't compare data points from a single point in time to conclude if restrictions work or not, because of the ebb and flow of waves. The South right now has low covid cases not because it controlled them with restrictions, but because it largely blazed through and killed a ton of people.

Also doesn't seem to understand deaths are a lagging indicator. And that localities having mask mandates or not isn't the factor. It's the percentage of people who actually wear it, and wear it properly. Japan technically never had a mask mandate, because everybody there wore their masks, and did so properly. While American mask mandates seem to very easily be flouted, particularly since the cops have no interest in enforcing it, and often openly break it as well.

Making all these basic errors is either stupidity or more likely bad faith, from a conservative making a twisted liberty argument.

We're also 'lucky' that so many advanced regional health authorities are trying different experiments, because it will allow us to tease out data for the future.
We're also having a hard time measuring what we consider 'success' or 'failure', mainly because we disagree on what's the actual goal. Zero in the ICU? A steady ICU caseload? Zero transmission amongst the vaccinated? Nevermind how much we're willing to pay for each percentage success on each of those indicators.

Omicron is already here guys! Doesn't it sound a bit ominous?

Good thing we didn't pursue infrastructure that allowed us to update the vaccine before we started jabbing kids.

We don't know how that's gonna work out, hopefully it's nothing...

France has yesterday announced mandatory booster shots from January 15 on. Accordingly this morning the biggest website to book the vaccination was down. Gonna have a look later.

EDIT: Eh, seems they were not prepared for this. Earliest possible appointment December 14, and that at the half of the places which currently isn't fully booked until February :lol:.

Last edited:
(quoted from another thread, with typos left in)
Oh but it has always been to some degree. You know you're hittiong them in the right spot when they set the police on you. Make s strategy out of it. Lots of cheap provocations, until the police themselves are sick and cynical of it all. Ridicule kills governments...
Strange that this come from somebody who at the same time advocates for a quarantine police state and people to rise against the police state imposing vaccines…

I’m thinking if the new variants come from the same country as an existing variant, we keep the same Greek but make it sound like a type of expensive high-octane branded gasoline.

Delta Plus, Beta Premium, Super Gamma, etc.

Something Something Lambda Explosion!

The WHO also skipped over another letter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xi_(letter)

I wonder why?

The fact that it's the name of a major world leader so has political associations, and most parts of the world probably having no idea how to pronounce the name of the letter (shee, shye, chee, chye, khee, khye, tsee, tsye?) probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom