couple of questions

RohirrimElf

Emperor
The last dev stream made me wonder about a couple of things. I could not see it live do.

- Is there a tool tip to see zone of control? Especcially for cities.

- Is it necessary to unlock more culture cards through the culture tree? Do they get more powerfull gradually? Or should you focus a bit more on science as i`m sure you could find a couple of good ones and stick with it for a long while?

- How do you fight the religious victory type while not competing for faith?

- Prince is the AI without any bonusses right? How many difficulty levels are there above prince? It seems quite a low difficulty even do the AI does play sensibly at what it does it seems.

- As rome why could you not get the granary instead of a monument if you get a free building? It is one of the earlyest buildings in civ 5.

- The map seemed a bit crowded/small? What map type did the devs play on?

1) I think zone of control is visible, though you can at least always see it before you move.

2) Culture is looking like its going to be pretty powerful. You'll have a government either way, but a civ with more culture cards and culture card slots is going to get more bonuses than a civ with less. So, yeah, your government increases in power slowly throughout the game, and the choice between science/culture/economy/population/defense is all an opportunity cost, and we don't know enough to know if any particular districts or choices are op yet.

3) Go to war with the civ that's threatening to convert the world, steal their missionaries and apostles, or have other civs go to war with them. That seems to be the most efficient way.

4) We don't know much about difficulties yet.

5) The monument is cheaper than a granary, so its automatically chosen as the free building in most cases. You just get the cheapest building available.

6) I don't know about map size.

- Is there a tool tip to see zone of control? Especcially for cities.

Zone of control is very simple, units create zone of control on six tiles neighboring them unless
a) There is river - zone of control doesn't impact opposite side of the river
b) They are ranged units (those don't create ZoC)(IIRC cities don't do that either)
Zone of control prevents enemy unit to pass by, unless its cavalry unit.

- Is it necessary to unlock more culture cards through the culture tree? Do they get more powerfull gradually? Or should you focus a bit more on science as i`m sure you could find a couple of good ones and stick with it for a long while?

"Culture cards" are called Civics, they form second "progress tree" (next to Technologies) and probably are "necessary" to unlock in the way that they unlock a lot of powerful stuff (new strong policies, wonders, districts, units).

- How do you fight the religious victory type while not competing for faith?

You mean how to prevent somebody else from winning while not caring about religion otherwise and not having your own religion? Not sure, probably you need to get other religion (either wait for third party conversion or capture such city), then build units of that religion from that city, and use them to combat influence of the dangerous religion (the one you want to prevent from winning).

- Prince is the AI without any bonusses right? How many difficulty levels are there above prince? It seems quite a low difficulty even do the AI does play sensibly at what it does it seems.

There are in total six difficulty levels, if I recall correctly prince is 3rd.

- As rome why could you not get the granary instead of a monument if you get a free building? It is one of the earlyest buildings in civ 5.

Idk, either monument is the earliest or the ability is specifically set to create monument (unless advanced start) because it's inspired on historically famous Traian's monuments of conquest.

- The map seemed a bit crowded/small? What map type did the devs play on?

No idea.

Zone of control prevents enemy unit to pass by, unless its heavy cavalry unit.

Corrected

You mean how to prevent somebody else from winning while not caring about religion otherwise and not having your own religion? Not sure, probably you need to get other religion (either wait for third party conversion or capture such city), then build units of that religion from that city, and use them to combat influence of the dangerous religion (the one you want to prevent from winning).

Or annihilate the founder... I'm pretty sure they don't win religious victory if they don't have any cities.

Map looks like Standard size(8 Civs) continents for Kongo and Likely the same for Rome. In the Rome play through there was 4 confirmed Civs but it was too early to tell if their is a another continent. It looks roughly the same size as Civ 5 Standard, possibly slightly bigger.

In the Kongo game it looks like roughly 20-25 Cities per Continent, sounds about right. I put 20 on a Civ5 Standard Continent(after invading my neighbours :) and my cities were spread.

Regards to Stopping a religion Victory, Military might is the Great Counter. They talked about what they would do in the Kongo playthrough..... Intercept the missionaries in the ocean to prevent them spreading their religion to the new continent.

Science and Culture i feel should be of equal prioritisation with a possible slight bias one way or the other. I feel they best work together with one complementing the other. Your paths through both should be similar

Map looks like Standard size(8 Civs) continents for Kongo and Likely the same for Rome. In the Rome play through there was 4 confirmed Civs but it was too early to tell if their is a another continent. It looks roughly the same size as Civ 5 Standard, possibly slightly bigger.

In the Kongo game it looks like roughly 20-25 Cities per Continent, sounds about right. I put 20 on a Civ5 Standard Continent(after invading my neighbours :) and my cities were spread.

Regards to Stopping a religion Victory, Military might is the Great Counter. They talked about what they would do in the Kongo playthrough..... Intercept the missionaries in the ocean to prevent them spreading their religion to the new continent.

Science and Culture I feel should be of equal prioritisation with a possible slight bias one way or the other. I feel they best work together with one complementing the other. Your paths through both should be similar

Do you mean landmass? In Civ VI, continent is defined differently (the continental boundaries may be unclear; sometimes, a group of small islands constitute a continent, and sometimes, a landmass may be split with unclear boundaries, as seen in the religion livestream video).

You mean the cards in your Government? These are called Policies and they are indeed unlocked through culture via the Civics Tree. As you progress in culture you unlock different, sometimes more powerful Policies that you will want to swap your current cards for. You also unlock new Government types which have more slots for cards, so you will get to choose new Policies then too. Also, as others have said, some go out of date: the Agoge Policy, for instance, only benefits the production of Ancient and Classical units.

That said you may find that you stick with some Policies for a while if they're suited to your playstyle. You do constantly unlock new ones though, so it's always a decision.

I am hoping that there is still room for making extra smaller cities, I was a bit surprised at the structure in the Kongo game where all cities seemed really big, I hope that the game lets you get reward from making extra cities that won't necessarily grow very much or very fast.

I am hoping that there is still room for making extra smaller cities, I was a bit surprised at the structure in the Kongo game where all cities seemed really big, I hope that the game lets you get reward from making extra cities that won't necessarily grow very much or very fast.

Kongo is specifically a "big city" civ.

Small cities are better because
-they need less housing
-they consume less luxuries for their happiness

Small cities are at a disadvantage because
-they produce less (because population works tiles for production and gives bonus culture and science)
-they can have fewer districts

Do you mean landmass? In Civ VI, continent is defined differently (the continental boundaries may be unclear; sometimes, a group of small islands constitute a continent, and sometimes, a landmass may be split with unclear boundaries, as seen in the religion livestream video).

I mean map Type: "Continents" and yeah land mass (not civ6 Continents :)

I have a quick question too, not worth its own thread.

Can you turn off resource icons? All gameplay videos I've seen have the resource icons overlaid on the map. In previous Civs you could toggle them on and off and 90% of the time I had them switched off, I think it's just nicer and more immersive. Do we have confirmation you can switch them off?

Time to create Quick questions thread 'cause I have one myself :)

Do you have to control your Holy city in order to achieve religious victory?

Paradox forums has a "Quick questions thread". It is quite popular since launch eu4.
Civfanatics should have one as well. It prevents cluttering up the forum during launch civ 6 at least.

I have a quick question too, not worth its own thread.

Can you turn off resource icons? All gameplay videos I've seen have the resource icons overlaid on the map. In previous Civs you could toggle them on and off and 90% of the time I had them switched off, I think it's just nicer and more immersive. Do we have confirmation you can switch them off?

We haven't seen if they've added any more map options in the latest build, but this is what they were in the press build from several months ago: Show Grid, Show Resource Icons, Show Yield Icons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhweGQrVyKo&t=1m12s

Spoiler :

Attachments

• maps_options.PNG
    maps_options.PNG
    85.3 KB · Views: 350
Time to create Quick questions thread 'cause I have one myself :)

Do you have to control your Holy city in order to achieve religious victory?

Ed Beech said something about a Religious Victory requires you to found the Religion, hence the reason why Kongo cannot compete for it. One could quite easily infer that maintaining control of a religious Holy City is not a requirement to win a Religious Victory. The only thing that is required is that you have founded a Religion that is dominant in all surviving Civ's. Although not conclusive proof, i think it is pretty safe to assume that maintaining control of a Holy City is not required to win.

Top Bottom