Game Too Fast

Does anyone else feel that the game is too fast? I'm on Standard speed, Prince difficulty, single player, and I've reached the Modern Era by turn 190. It's the 1200-1300s in the game calendar, and my science output is only in about 7th place in a game of 17 civilizations.

It's not just the tech and culture blitz, production levels are such that I can produce an entire Line Infantry Army in 1 turn. I went to war against another civ, and they would produce a ranged unit in one turn, kill one of my besieging units in the same turn, I would kill the new unit in my turn, then they'd roll out another unit their turn, and so on and so forth. It's utter madness

Hmmm. I can't say my experience matches yours at all. I've played many, many games at Standard speed at Prince and King level, including many featured in GOTM. I've never even come close to Modern Era by turn 190. Almost always Ancient Era lasts approx 60 turns, Classical the same. Things pick up after but turn 190 is almost always Renaissance.

But this is always Standard speed, Standard map size and Standard # of civs. If I had to guess, I'd say the reason you're seeing tjis is that you have 17 civs in the game. I've never seen anything close to this with 8 civs on a Standard map at Standard speed.

Playing Marathon and I'm more than halfway through the Medieval Era by turn 300 of a 1500-turn game. And I'm lagging behind everyone else in science

Hmmm. I can't say my experience matches yours at all. I've played many, many games at Standard speed at Prince and King level, including many featured in GOTM. I've never even come close to Modern Era by turn 190. Almost always Ancient Era lasts approx 60 turns, Classical the same. Things pick up after but turn 190 is almost always Renaissance.

But this is always Standard speed, Standard map size and Standard # of civs. If I had to guess, I'd say the reason you're seeing tjis is that you have 17 civs in the game. I've never seen anything close to this with 8 civs on a Standard map at Standard speed.
Do you play with all the DLC? I don't recall having issues with game pace (besides Eras feeling too short) before I purchased the Frontier and Leader Passes this summer

I tend to have the opposite problem. Unit building is just too slow compared to the game length. By the time I've put together and army, the upgrades are on the horizon.
I've noticed that too so what I do is build the units early when they're primitive, save, and then upgrade them when they're upgradable. There are also policy cards that lower the costs per upgrade on units. If I ever need to build a unit however, I would build it in the city with the most production.

The game is WAY too fast, and without the Extended Eras mod, the game would be close to 'dead' to me.
I like that mod too, but it doesnt properly solve the problem and only "postpones" it imo.

The main problem is that, as you get better at the game, your tech and culture income tends to skyrocket so hard in the latter part that, once you reach the industrial era, you know you're gonna win shortly after.
Essentially there is a huge balancing mismatch between the Ancient to Renaissance era that tends to constitute about 2/3s of the game (in number of turns played), whereas the last eras just zip by as your science/culture yields go through the roof.
Its a real shame because the late game essentially doesnt exist for me at this point.
I cannot even remember the last time I played a game past the Modern era, because I usually win right there (or earlier), completely missing out on the atomic, information and future eras, with all the fun associated with it.

I tend to have the opposite problem. Unit building is just too slow compared to the game length. By the time I've put together and army, the upgrades are on the horizon.

This also affects the AI's standing army.

The AI tends to need to hard build new units, which takes forever, because they suicide so many of their own and aren't good at keeping their units alive.

This results in the AI often having zero standing army in the late game, relying only on city defenses.

I am efficient enough to be launching satellites in the 1800s (standard speed, standard sized map, emperor difficulty) but to be about to finish a game by the 1200-1300!? Only if i was actively pursuing a RV! I think you guys are just being a victim of being really good at playing! I used to play epic and marathon, but then the game would last for way to many "wait 5 minutes" turns at late game on the Nintendo Switch, I can't stand it anymore. So I just play really relaxed now!

I am efficient enough to be launching satellites in the 1800s (standard speed, standard sized map, emperor difficulty) but to be about to finish a game by the 1200-1300!? Only if i was actively pursuing a RV! I think you guys are just being a victim of being really good at playing! I used to play epic and marathon, but then the game would last for way to many "wait 5 minutes" turns at late game on the Nintendo Switch, I can't stand it anymore. So I just play really relaxed now!
I'm not good at playing, in just another game on the same difficulty I was lagging behind everyone else in Technology and Civics. This is why I'm not playing above Prince anytime soon, some games I'll be an unstoppable monster and the other I'm a impoverished minnow clinging onto survival.

This particular game I was talking of I wasn't even playing it seriously or even really attentively, because I was testing out a mod (a mod that simply changes jersey colours, doesn't affect game speed in any way) and I ended up building up for a space race about halfway through the game.

Production costs in Civ6 are lower than in Civ5. I played a few games of them back-to-back. In the starting turns in Civ5 you produce units in 8-15 turns, in Civ6 I'm producing units in 4-8 turns.

Production costs in Civ6 are lower than in Civ5. I played a few games of them back-to-back. In the starting turns in Civ5 you produce units in 8-15 turns, in Civ6 I'm producing units in 4-8 turns.
Production costs (for comparable buildings and units) are higher in civ 6, not lower.

However, base yields from terrain in civ 6 is also higher, improved terrain yields are higher, and these factors somewhat balance the higher base costs in civ 6.
I suspect that the devs balanced around this, which seems to work out roughly well if you consider tile yield power creep in civ 6.

What breaks civ 6 however, and what I feel is what the devs overlooked when they balanced around higher production costs, is that there are numerous ways to boost production per city to levels much higher than civ 5 offer.
Examples of this is abusing early Work Ethic in 6, trade routes being more powerful in 6 (civ 5 number of routes is much more restricted, exporting production requires a Workshop, while exporting production prevent you from exporting food or trading for gold whereas civ 6 can give you all at once, and more often), the Industrial Zone (and partially Harbour) offers ludicrous amounts amounts of production in a myriad of ways (base yields, adjacencies, buildings, envoy bonuses to said buildings, regional effects, regional effects and buildings boosted by great engineers), % based production policy cards, and good old Magnus chopping.
Plus that you can faith and gold purchase a lot more in civ 6, which frees up additional production indirectly.

All these combined (and probably many additional factors I didnt mention here) severely power creep production times in civ 6 compared to civ 5, despite production costs being lower in 5.
And production is not the only victim of this, the same is true for Science, Culture, Gold and Faith as well.
This breaks the late game to the point where total yields just tend to explode around the Renaissance/Industrial era, where games are over shortly after if you care to somewhat min-max these things.

This is currently my biggest pet peeve with civ 6, and why I've been playing a bit of civ 5 again recently - the lack of a late game in civ 6.
The pacing of the game is just much, much better in 5 compared 6, even if the game otherwise has its flaws as well.

Last edited:
The upgrade card is a way to produce units efficiently. You make cheap units and then upgrade them for half cost on both gold and strategic resources.

There is even a way to temporarily hide away your strategic resources to enable building the cheap precursor units later on iirc.

Top Bottom