Random Rants 94 I rant at the thread title and shake my fist menacingly.

Someone left a big box of holiday chocolates on the table that I walk past several times a day, and there's, like, nobody in the office this week.

There's a YouTube reviewer whose channel was called Smirking Gun Reviews (I think he dropped the word "reviews" and goes by Smirking Gun now). Anyway, he was one of the few guys doing Handmaid's Tale reviews that weren't screechfests of 'how DARE they show white women suffering!'.

His reviews were straightforward and touched on things that other reviewers either glossed over or had very different perspectives on them. I don't remember which episode it was, but I left a comment explaining some aspect of the Canada storyline that tended to confuse a lot of American viewers, and he posted a thank you - and a suggestion that I start a review channel, as he liked my insights.

Some people might mean that in a sarcastic way, but I think he was sincere. He's not someone who's passive-aggressive like some others are, and I hadn't disagreed with what he said, just offered additional information.

So it was a nice compliment, but I'd only seriously consider it if I didn't have to actually appear myself. So far the only people I've ever interacted with online who have ever seen me are the few who know me from way back, pre-FB.

Speaking of channels... this guy who does reaction videos to Canadian culture and history videos has been trying some chocolate bars and chips that some viewers sent him. Here's a question to the Americans here: Do you seriously not have either dill pickle or bacon-flavored potato chips? :confused:

Someone left a big box of holiday chocolates on the table that I walk past several times a day, and there's, like, nobody in the office this week.

I hope you're doing the sensible thing and not letting them go to waste!

Speaking of channels... this guy who does reaction videos to Canadian culture and history videos has been trying some chocolate bars and chips that some viewers sent him. Here's a question to the Americans here: Do you seriously not have either dill pickle or bacon-flavored potato chips? :confused:

Dill pickle does seem to be a flavour that outsiders aren't familiar with and find strange. Also honey garlic, though that's becoming more common now.

I'm not sure why, since dill pickles are pretty regular. But turn it into a flavour and suddenly it's weird. When I was a kid, the only flavour of popcorn I'd get in school was dill pickle. 25 cents for a bag!

Alright, [goshdarn] it, I'll have another piece of chocolate.

Office Xmas party sucked.
It was a) an Xmas party and b) an office party. Did you expect two negatives to make a positive somehow?

Considering that
CTV} <break /> An American father-son duo drove for two days in an old army Jeep just to buy ketchup chips in Canada last week.<break /> [/quote said:
Is it just me, or does the Quote function barely work anymore when you use it certain ways?

Alright, [goshdarn] it, I'll have another piece of chocolate.
Well, if it were possible, you could PM it to me. Chocolate is my favorite junk food in winter (unless it has nuts in it).

Considering that

Is it just me, or does the Quote function barely work anymore when you use it certain ways?
It gets weird sometimes, and the best way to handle that is to toggle BBCode and do it manually.

It's so friggin' annoying on FB now, in the American-run groups. People drop news links hither and yon and think I'm BSing them when I tell them that Canadians aren't allowed to see news articles on FB. One of my political groups uses a workaround, but those are only good as long as FB doesn't catch on.

So it was a nice compliment, but I'd only seriously consider it if I didn't have to actually appear myself. So far the only people I've ever interacted with online who have ever seen me are the few who know me from way back, pre-FB.

You needn't appear on camera, but there's no real substitute for a human voice in videos.

You needn't appear on camera, but there's no real substitute for a human voice in videos.
I guess that lets out asking Maddy to do it for me. :(

Not that she cares about Handmaid's Tale. If I ever did take Smirking Gun (his actual name is Rob) up on his suggestion, I suspect I'd tackle it from an angle that's fairly different from that of most reviewers. Unlike the others, I've actually read the novel and seen the 1990 movie (a relevant point, as the same people hold the copyright for both the movie and this series).

How bad did it suck to make it rant worthy. Tell all !

Look, I understand that I'm socially incompetent. I don't mean to put people off, but most of the time I do anyways. Still, I've been working in this place for 8 years. And I feel like I've really put an effort into approaching my coworkers and trying to have conversations and have at least some social contact.

Yet when there's time, and an opportunity to socialize, it goes on all around me and never touches me. I can go days without anyone saying more than good morning to me if it's not a strictly work conversation. I am part of exactly zero of the social circles that exist at my work. And I really feel that I tried. But if I don't initiate or insert myself into a conversation, then no one ever thinks to include me.

Look, I understand that I'm socially incompetent. I don't mean to put people off, but most of the time I do anyways. Still, I've been working in this place for 8 years. And I feel like I've really put an effort into approaching my coworkers and trying to have conversations and have at least some social contact.

Yet when there's time, and an opportunity to socialize, it goes on all around me and never touches me. I can go days without anyone saying more than good morning to me if it's not a strictly work conversation. I am part of exactly zero of the social circles that exist at my work. And I really feel that I tried. But if I don't initiate or insert myself into a conversation, then no one ever thinks to include me.
Have you ever talked to a therapist about your situation? :)

Don't trust them. 🤷
A symptom of your social skills problem? Might the "riskiness" and effort be worth it if you found improvement?

When I was a kid I was burned hard by horsehockey therapists. Never got over it.
Keep in mind that was years ago and I assume someone else choose for you. As an adult you can interview several and then choose. In addition, nowadays, the skill sets are more varied as are the solutions. You should give trying again some thought. What would you lose except perhaps a bit of money?

That sucks, I’m sorry.

No, we have the correct flavors such as barbecue, salt and vinegar, or sour cream & onion.
We have those as well. But we also have:

Dill Pickle
Ketchup
Sea Salt & Pepper
Bacon
Sour Cream & Cheddar
Onion & Garlic
Fries & Gravy
Roasted Chicken
Pizza

and many others. Note that I'm mixing up brands here.

Spoiler :

why next year and not this year ? Like 2024 should be under 100 hours now ...

ı woke up in pain , my hands on fire . God damned "European" mosquito brand . Arrived in country in this year and eau de cologne , usually 80 degrees of alcohol gives no relief against the bites . In the past they would take away the pain and you might go to sleep . With these you will keep rubbing your hands to no use until the marks become tiny spots that you might eventually puncture . Had a lot of attempts with my fingernails last time .

but the true horror of a mosquito has always been the noise , as you try to go to sleep . ı truly enjoyed the slap ı landed on my face , the peace arising from the silence , knowing ı got the son of an unkown father . Turns out ı had not . It was the middle of the night , enemy probing my defences and so many hours to daylight when this particular foul creation sleeps to digest what it has stolen from my veins ... When you can't sleep , the mind keeps working , so perhaps this was similar to ... what ? Israel's situation perhaps ? Was it my fault ? Failing to curse the Zionist Regime and all in the scriptured amounts ? That ı had crossed some borders , broken some laws and this was punishment ? The buzz really sounds something hellish !

finally grabbed the tablet , trying to pass time until sleep would take over on its own 'cause there was no way ı could go to sleep myself . My God , it arrived within the light , between me and the tablet . Got it with a slap , landing a second to make sure , splattering it with my blood on my vest . No problem , a little wash with some soap does it away . What ı think as ı wake up this morning was it perhaps was the internet discussion in the country pertaining to systematic torture post the 1980 coup / intervention and , ugh , ı have read enough to know my ordeal last night was nothing ...

the thing is ı have had nights , from dusk to dawn with anger and rage and having nothing to do with mosquitos . Some of them are still justifiable , too . Life tends to balance itself in the long run and one can only hope advanced years will bring some peace to those who apparently don't know the thing at all . You even learn to have pity on those who think saying "OK, Boomer!" has won the discussion for them and will solve all the problems of the world for them , as if they will not get old themselves .

this is not a rant . Will be remembered , too .

Last edited:
Top Bottom