Rise of Asia

I largely agree with Ogedei. Cham would cover what today would be central and southern Vietnam and were Indianized. The Viet Nam were at the time frame of the mod located in northern Vietnam / Southern China and weren't influenced by the Brahmanic culture of India.

I've noticed that the wonders list is a bit short and needs to be a bit more varied. Here are some more ideas for wonders:

Khajuraho Temple, Madhya Pradesh, India -a famous Hindu temple in India with elaborate carvings.
Cheomseongdae, Gyeongju, Korea - one of the oldest scientific structures in East Asia dating to 647 CE in the Unified Shilla period.
Su Song's "Cosmic Engine," Kaifeng, China - before it was dismantled by the invading Jurchen Jin Empire, this astronomical clock built in 1092 CE was the most advanced of its kind in the 11th century.
Potala Palace, Lhasa, Tibet - the home of the Dalai Lama before the Chinese invasion in the middle of the twentieth century.
Bamiyan, Afghanistan - before the Taliban blew them up, they were some of the most spectacular Buddhist grottoes in the world. The Buddhist grottoes of Datong, China were inspired by them.
Angkor Wat, Cambodia - Angkor Wat isn't just a temple; it's also a political statement. It was dedicated to Vishnu and was constructed to justify the rule of Suryavarman II, as some of the temple inscriptions characterize him as a sort of messianic figure.
Big Wild Goose Pagoda, Xi'an, China - built in 652 CE in the Tang Dynasty period, it was built to store the sutras that were brought back from India by the monk Xuanzang, whose journey inspired the novel "Journey to the West" (also known as "Monkey" to Europeans and Americans).

As far as the Taj Mahal being a wonder goes, I think someone pointed out here (forgot if it was Rambuchan or Blue Monkey) that while it is a gorgeous peice of architecture, at the time when it was built, the only person that it made happy was Shah Jahan. ;)

How about these for some ideas:
Sacred River: Small Wonder. Just to represent the various sacred rivers around India and the such.
Marco Polo's Embassey: Great Wonder. Should give either trade-based advantages, or some kind of "European Mercinary" (I'm leaning towards trade-based)
Silk Route: Again, should probably give trade-based advantages.

its from Dom Pedro.

Is it a swordsman? Is that the type of weapon and clothing the SE Asians used in 200bc~400ad
I dont like when people use a Samurai for a replacement for a swordsman because Samurai with a tachi or katana didn't come until the middle ages.

1) What does the thread you got the image from have to say on the subject?
2) Did you do a quick web search using the name to see what you could find, or did you think that just posting an unlabeled image was enough?

Don't you see any inconsistency in demanding such historical rigor from others without any diligence or forthrightness on your own part?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=108431
the thread.
It is called "Pha'ak man, but the name doesnt matter. It could be named Eskimo warrior. But just the clothing and weapon, where could it fit in the unit line?
I was just asking a question.
If someone posted a one picture of a Japanese or Korean warrior, I could tell them what era it was.

ShiroKobbure said:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=108431
the thread.
It is called "Pha'ak man, but the name doesnt matter. It could be named Eskimo warrior. But just the clothing and weapon, where could it fit in the unit line?
I was just asking a question.
If someone posted a one picture of a Japanese or Korean warrior, I could tell them what era it was.
As far as I can tell, that's a unique talent you've got. So what era does a Japanese in a loincloth with a round shield and a curved "sword" belong in? How about a Korean? Since the name on the picture doesn't matter, you tell us.

different eras people wear different things. The Japanese and Koreans didnt have curved swords until 500+ ad. The Japanese stoped using shields around 500 ad, and they never had round shields, it was always rectangle.
ususally if you see people with different clothing and weapons you can tell what era it is from. If you saw an European unit in plate armor you can think it is from medeivil era, and not ancient.

stop having an attitude. and try to just help ok???

It depends on what the substance of the sword is since that style of clothing has been around in Southeast Asia for a very long time and some people still dress like that. If it were a steel sword, then it would be around the time the Chinese began larger-scale production of steel, perhaps around the mid Song Dynasty period when "industrialization" of the Chinese economy and maritime trade with Southeast Asia was quite prevalent. Chinese steel (and perhaps Chinese metallurgy as well) no doubt made its way into the classical kingdoms of Southeast Asia. Even if the "classical" kingdoms were still mostly land-based and agriculturally-oriented rather than being more trade-oriented (which occurred in the Age of Commerce there), trade was fairly dynamic in that period.

I think it would work for all of Southeast Asia since it looks generic enough.

That would work. The Thai and Burmese did have armor, but I don't think the average low-ranking soldiers would have worn it.

I don't recall if there's a Thai/Burmese swordsman with armor here. If there aren't any, just use the Pha'ak Man as a placeholder for the Thai and Burmese civs.

Top Bottom