Rise of Asia

Virote, could you make the the glave and pikeman units for SE Asia and India?
it doesnt have to be a glave or pikeman, but just spearman from 800a~1200ad(glave) and 1300~1600ad(Pike). If you need pictures for reference Blue Monkey or other members can help you.

I saw your new unit. It is very good!

Funan is a state, not a nation or a country (and those are three very distinct things). If you check the source I cite, you will confirm that Khmer people invaded Funan, and replaced Funan with a state called Chenla. Funan is the civilization you chose, not Khmer Empire or Chenla. If you want to blend together Khmer, ethnic Indo-Scythians, and the rest of the mix from that area that's fine. Then what ethnic group or historical or cultural era a blurry picture of a guy in a loincloth belongs to really doesn't matter. You vacillate between ultra picky where you know a lot (ie Japanese armor) and infuriation with any attempt by others to make distinctions where you don't know as much.

Personally I would say use that guy for the generic Warrior or Swordsman for all of South Asia and Se Asia, but I'm not as picky about blade curvature as you are.

ShiroKobbure said:
Virote, could you make the the glave and pikeman units for SE Asia and India?
it doesnt have to be a glave or pikeman, but just spearman from 800a~1200ad(glave) and 1300~1600ad(Pike). If you need pictures for reference Blue Monkey or other members can help you.

I saw your new unit. It is very good!
I've already got some links to unit related images here. I've got a lot more bookmarked, but not yet posted. If you need something specific let me know, and I can get image(s) and or links posted for you within a 24 hr period.

The same goes for looking for Tech or other images.

Look, I apologize also. I too want it to be historic. I have trouble that you have been nit-picky about some things and cavalier about others, but I haven't been feeling well for the last couple of weeks and everyone tells me I'm being crabby all the time, just ask Sword of Geddon, let alone my RL friends. At least you don't have to look at me; I have to see that crab every time I brush my teeth. I'll try to be more helpful and patient; if you can, please contextualize your questions a little more, so it's very clear what you really want to know and care about.

Edit: I'll be away until late in the evening for a family dinner out of town; I promise to check later tonight to see if there's any images I can help track down.

I am "nit-picky" about what I know, if I dont know the history, then I cant be nit-picky, thats why I have you and other who know more about India and SE Asia to say "that unit doesnt fit for that era" or about civilizations. I want every civ to have the same treatment, but I cant do that, I focus on East Asia, (that is why I am not the only member) if I am putting a unit in the wrong era, I might not know, so please help out.

Funan changed to Khmer.

An old name for the region now encompassing Cambodia was Kambujadesa. It was known known as that in the classical period. As Blue Monkey noted, this was very much a Brahmanic-influenced culture with a Brahmanic elite (until the Brahmins themselves eventually intermarried with the local elites, of course). "Funan" was a name given by Chinese ambassadors from the Wu kingdom; it is not known what the people of Funan actually called themselves and the region that encompassed "Funan" was actually in the southern delta region of present-day Vietnam (incidentally, the history of this region is also disputed between Cambodia and Vietnam). The best account of everyday life of the people of the Khmer Empire, particularly that of the capital at Angkor, was written by the Yuan Dynasty Chinese ambassador, Zhou Daguan (or Chou Ta Kuan). There might be translated excerpts or references to his book online and it might be available at some libraries since it's still considered to be one of the most detailed descriptions of Khmer lifestyle. I have several sources from scholarly and archeological texts on Southeast Asian history in PDF documents loaded on a CD, but I'm not sure if I brought them with me... :blush: I'll take a look if I do find them.

As for the sword, swords like that are fairly common, if I recall correctly. It works for virtually any Southeast Asian culture, even Vietnamese highland people.

I have the model complete, but I just haven't had the time to animate it lately. I'll try to get things done this week (the Joseon Halberdier and the Panokseon), but it'll be a little tough because I have to do several separate lesson plans for my students. Winter break is a full month (December 27 to the time after Lunar New Year) and I've already figured the basics of building the model in Poser 5, so I should be able to crank out units by then. :)

I've noticed that you've altered the list. Are you going to include Au-Lac / Dai Viet? If you are, it should be in the East Asia category. :)

If you're looking for a "Cantonese", non-Han kingdom, the best ones would be Nanyue (capital at Panyu, Trieu Da as leader) or the Yue kingdom (capital at Guiji, Gou Jian as leader).

I'll put those 2 units into my "line", that currently consists of finnishing off Diomedes and Agamemnon, and then making an Alexander, I think. After them, I can start work on the Spear and Pike.

Top Bottom