Rise of Asia

In that case, use the Pha'ak Man for Malay / Indonesian civs, Khmer, and Champa.

What other SE Asian units are there available for the sword infantry line?

It wasn't right for me to take a strong attitude just because you posted an unlabeled graphic and wanted us to supply detailed historical info. Read this page, it should give you enough to place the Phak'ak in an appropriate era.

ShiroKobbure said:
So should the Pha ak be a Khmer UU, or a unit for all of SE Asia?
You've got me confused. Looking at page one of this thread, I don't see Khmer listed as a civ. So why are you asking about a Khmer UU? I know you're very particular about appropriate naming. Would Pha'ak be an appropriate name for a unit used by non-Khmer civs? Would a generic guy in a loin cloth be an appropriate unit for SE Asian Civs? I'd say yes, and South Asian as well. What shape blade does Dom Pedro's actual unit have? (that might be a determining factor)

If I recall correctly, that type of sword is fairly common in Southeast Asia. At civ-level, it looks generic enough to work for a generic Southeast Asian swordsman unit.

You are confusing me.

I posted the unit thread on page 25
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=108431
it is listed under Khmer, Pha ak Warrior.

Im not sure of clothing of SE Asia throughout time. I think for East Asia, you can tell the era from the clothing. But SE Asia, maybe the clothing on the unit could work for any era.

ShiroKobbure said:
You are confusing me.

I posted the unit thread on page 25
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=108431
it is listed under Khmer, Pha ak Warrior.
Remember the list on page one?
ShiroKobbure said:
Lead your nation to total victory in Asia!

Civs[Location] leader (UU/unit it replaces)
Champa[Vietnam] Sri Mara
Funan[Cambodia] Jayavarman II (RsI Gñkyam*female guard*)
Pyu[Burma] Anawrahta (Sangha Warrior Monk)
Sukhothai[Thailand] Suriyothai (Thai Atwin/Man at Arms)
Srivijaya[Malysia] Dapunta Hyang Çri Yacanaca
Sailendra[Indonesia] Samarottunga (Bugis Mercenary)
East Asia
Han Ch'au[China] Gao Zu (Zhuge-Nu/repeating crossbow)
Bod[Tibet] Songtsen Gampo (Khampa Horsemen)
Shilla[Korea] Kim Naemul (Hwarang/Longbowman)
Wa[Japan] Ōjin (Kensai/Man at Arms)
Emishi[North Japan/Russia] Aterui (Ezo Raider/Horseman)
Ryukyukoku[Ryukyu Island Chain] Sho Hashi (Pechin/Man at Arms)
*still looking for a Cantonese or non-Han kingdom for the period*
Indian
Maurya[Northern India] Asoka (Kshatrya/Chariot)
Chera[Southern India] Maavali (Tamil/Spearman)
Taprobane[Sir Lanka] Kuveni
Gangahrd[Bangladesh]Shashanka
Sakya[Nepal] Arimalla (Gurka/late swordsman)
Steppes
Khunnu Empire[Mongolia] Modun Shanyu (Mongol Heavy Cavalry)
Hun Confederacy/ Wu Hu[Eurasian Steppes] Kama (Hunnic Cavalry)
Kushan Empire[Paikistan/Hindu Kush] Kanishka (Ashvaka Lancer)

Culture major Groups
East Asia:
South East Asia:
India:
Steppes:
*Japan (Wa) may become its own culture group. Ryukyu apart of East Asia culture group.
Unit Lines:
Land Lines
Mounted Lines
Air Lines
Special Lines coming soon
No Khmer.
Edit:
1) Funan is a Chinese name.
2) According to The Indianized States of Southeast Asia, the rulers of Funan are variously described as Indian Brahmins, Indo-Scythians, and Kushans.
3)According to the same source the Khmer civ first appears as Chenla, which conquered Funan.

ShiroKobbure said:
Im not sure of clothing of SE Asia throughout time. I think for East Asia, you can tell the era from the clothing. But SE Asia, maybe the clothing on the unit could work for any era.
It's a loincloth. I've seen images of Japanese in loincloths from Jomon through 1940's AD.
Ogedei_the_Mad said:
The Thai and Burmese did have armor, but I don't think the average low-ranking soldiers would have worn it.
Armor may be era specific, a loincloth is pretty much a loincloth.

Virote_Considon said:
I think it would be Funan, because from what I remember, Cambodia is Khmer, or pretty much exactly where Khmer used to be.
You posted just as I was editing my post to include the more detailed information that Funan was invaded and conqured by the Khmer who came from outside its area.

You are right that the Khmer Empire is substantially Cambodia. I'm only making an issue of it because Shirou has always tried to be very consistent (a good thing) with names, ie no foreign names for indigenous units, etc., and no civ-specific names for units that are to be used generically.

Funan is a Chinese rendering of a local term, the Khmer equivalent of whch is Pnomh. The word means mountain. It's applied here because the local kings ruled from the mountain (both literally and symbolically - like in the later architecture of the several Angkors). The Khmer invaded from the more southerly lowlands along the Mekong. The history of Cambodia, and of a lot of SE Asia, can be seen as a seesaw battle between highland and lowland cultures.

SORRY BLUE MONKEY
for the Future I might accidently say Japan for Wa, Korea for Shilla, China for Han Ch'au, Khmer (which is the people of Cambodia) for Funan or whatever the new name is. It is just faster, than going back to the first page. So dont act like you dont understand what I say. There is no reason to be that!

2. Stop having an additute, you are really making my angry, and I dont need it. I dont get paid for this, and I just want it to be fun.

3. If you post pictures of Japanese warriors in different eras, no name, and no source, I can probably tell you what era it is based on clothing and weapons. You can also post pictures of just common Japanese, and I can tell you what era it is, from clothing. I could probably do it too for Korean, European, and American.

Yeah, Shirou you've got that gift for Japanese, but remember you posted a picture without any attribution as to culture. If I look at that picture just right it could even be interpreted as Mayan. We want fun too, so be forthcoming with all the info you've got already when you ask a question. That way we don't spend time doing things like opening the image seperately to see what it's named, then searching on the name to figure out what culture it is, before we can even begin to answer your question.

I know how you would feel if one of us referred to the Ryukyukoku or Ainu as Japanese, but it bothers you if I point out equivalent distinctions elsewhere. If you want to be flexible with names that's fine; but then you don't have the right to get in a huff when someone, for example, calls a Japanese pre-medieval sword-wielding warrior a samurai. Play fair (same rules for all) and we'll all have more fun.

there is a difference between warrior names, and ethnicities. Wa is the civilization, Japan is the race. Funan is the country, Khmer is the race.

I said what where could it fit in the SE asian line, on the post after. But I posted the picture so you could say, it should go here or go here. It doesnt matter what the unit creater made it for. It could have been a Mayan unit. But if it looks like something that can be used for a civ in our game than say so. Thats what I wanted. Understand?? If you posted Utah Jazz "Thai Swordsman" I would say it shouldnt be in our mod, yes it is named "Thai Swordsman" but it doesnt look thai. Understand???

Top Bottom