[GS] [1.0.0.314] Warrior Monk still CANNOT benefit from Great General(s).

Hoo the fool

Chieftain
Seriously, this bug has been left so long, though the previous patch intended to fix this problem but actually couldn't about one year ago.

Could you fix this, please?

Can you post some proof? The files seems ok (see UnitAbilities.xml).
Code:
       <Row Type="ABILITY_GREAT_GENERAL_STRENGTH" Tag="CLASS_RECON"/>
       <Row Type="ABILITY_GREAT_GENERAL_STRENGTH" Tag="CLASS_MELEE"/>
       <Row Type="ABILITY_GREAT_GENERAL_STRENGTH" Tag="CLASS_RANGED"/>
       <Row Type="ABILITY_GREAT_GENERAL_STRENGTH" Tag="CLASS_SIEGE"/>
       <Row Type="ABILITY_GREAT_GENERAL_STRENGTH" Tag="CLASS_HEAVY_CAVALRY"/>
       <Row Type="ABILITY_GREAT_GENERAL_STRENGTH" Tag="CLASS_LIGHT_CAVALRY"/>
       <Row Type="ABILITY_GREAT_GENERAL_STRENGTH" Tag="CLASS_RANGED_CAVALRY"/>
       <Row Type="ABILITY_GREAT_GENERAL_STRENGTH" Tag="CLASS_ANTI_CAVALRY"/>
       <Row Type="ABILITY_GREAT_GENERAL_STRENGTH" Tag="CLASS_HEAVY_CHARIOT"/>
       <Row Type="ABILITY_GREAT_GENERAL_STRENGTH" Tag="CLASS_LIGHT_CHARIOT"/>
       <Row Type="ABILITY_GREAT_GENERAL_STRENGTH" Tag="CLASS_WARRIOR_MONK"/>
Same for movement boost.

As shown in this screenshot, Warrior Monk has to be considered as Medieval combat unit, which must get corresponding era's Great General bonus.

So, I got a Great General that gives the bonus for Classical and Medieval era units.

Sadly, the figure shows that the Warrior Monk cannot benefit from Great General's Movement bonus.

The next figure, furthermore, proves that the Warrior Monk also cannot take the advantage of Combat bonus from the Great General, while Swordsman took the bonus properly as shown in the last screenshot.

Last edited:
FYI, here is a mod, which I had made about one year ago, fixing the bug so that Warrior Monk can benefit from Great General(s). It was just simple; As far as I remember, the Warrior Monk in vanilla doesn't have any PrereqCivic value so I just put it like,
"UPDATE Units SET Combat=40, Cost=120, AdvisorType='ADVISOR_CONQUEST', PrereqCivic='CIVIC_THEOLOGY' WHERE UnitType='UNIT_WARRIOR_MONK';" You can check the Warrior Monk finally get both Movement bonus and Combat bonus from the Great General as below.

The update fixed the problem, another issues were caused by this though;

1. As shown in the above screenshot, the Warrior Monk Icon was shown at the related civic what I've set, even if you didn't select the Follower Belief.
2. In addition to the problem, the Monk was required for City-State quest which demands producing a specific unit.

Last edited:
It seems that GG bonus actually is checking for where in the tree the unit is. This is the only way to find out that the unit is medieval or other. Warrior Monk, despite the description in the belief, is not fixed to any tech nor era. Technically he is era-less. That is why probably the bonus doesn’t work and why your code fixed it to some extent.

Last edited:
Yes, I think so. The fix I had made is only a stopgap measure, because of the issues what I mentioned. I hope Devs finally fix the bug soon with some great buff for the Warrior Monk making it actually somewhat useful.

Possible to fix via .sql or .xml.
Code:
-- 2019-04-09 Warrior Monks don't have bonuses from Great Generals
-- They are not counted as Medieval units - must be added to a ReqSet that selects subjects (GGs from Classical and Medieval eras)
INSERT INTO RequirementSetRequirements (RequirementSetId, RequirementId) VALUES ('AOE_CLASSICAL_REQUIREMENTS', 'AOE_REQUIRES_CLASS_WARRIOR_MONK');
INSERT INTO RequirementSetRequirements (RequirementSetId, RequirementId) VALUES ('AOE_MEDIEVAL_REQUIREMENTS',  'AOE_REQUIRES_CLASS_WARRIOR_MONK');
INSERT INTO Requirements (RequirementId, RequirementType)                VALUES ('AOE_REQUIRES_CLASS_WARRIOR_MONK', 'REQUIREMENT_UNIT_TAG_MATCHES');
INSERT INTO RequirementArguments (RequirementId, Name, Value)            VALUES ('AOE_REQUIRES_CLASS_WARRIOR_MONK', 'Tag', 'CLASS_WARRIOR_MONK');

Spoiler :

20190409005337_1.jpg

Wow, it seems very cool! Thanks for the information. Since I've been a beginner of modding, I really need a little more knowledge and understanding for such things.

Top Bottom