1.18 released

Yeah that will happen. The code checks if a Prime Timber tile is still wooded after an improvement is built on it. If not, it removes the resource as it assumes the forest or jungle was chopped. If the forest or jungle remains then so will the Prime Timber.

Sorry, I'm coming to this late but I've tried to search and read through this thread. Just wanted to add my experience with the Prime Timber resource being destroyed on hills when a road or even a lumbermill is built on the same tile. I'm not at all familiar with programming, so I don't know if your explanation above means that this is not actually a bug.

Basically, on my Terra map, I have three tiles of prime timber within my cultural borders and the two that were on hills were destroyed when lumbermills or roads were built. But the the third that was on flat ground remained and provided the bonus once a lumbermill was constructed. Since you mentioned it before, both of the hills with prime timber were within a dozen tiles or so of civilization spawning points. FWIW, I'm on a Mac and I only downloaded your Mod a few days ago.

Let me know if I can provide any more information to help. Thanks again for all your hard work on this incredible mod!

A zipped folder containing the modified files is attached below.

Note that I still think it would be a good idea to eventually go through and discuss / evaluate potential changes and additions (the Best Defense quest in particular could use some work), but this should at least make it much less urgent.

Thanks for this, I'll get them merged into 1.19. Events do need reviewing and expanding but I don't know when I'm going to get around to that.

Here it is!

I have to say that it was really interesting to play a game where you could practically research anything. AI seemed to be much smarter tech-wise this way but it surely wasn't realistic at all.

From logs it looks like you have two or more installations of HR and BTS is loading some elements from one, and other elements from another. There's references to items that no longer exist in 1.18 so one of these is an out of date version. Look in the mods folder in MyDocuments; if there are any versions of HR in there, delete them.

Sorry, I'm coming to this late but I've tried to search and read through this thread. Just wanted to add my experience with the Prime Timber resource being destroyed on hills when a road or even a lumbermill is built on the same tile. I'm not at all familiar with programming, so I don't know if your explanation above means that this is not actually a bug.

Basically, on my Terra map, I have three tiles of prime timber within my cultural borders and the two that were on hills were destroyed when lumbermills or roads were built. But the the third that was on flat ground remained and provided the bonus once a lumbermill was constructed. Since you mentioned it before, both of the hills with prime timber were within a dozen tiles or so of civilization spawning points. FWIW, I'm on a Mac and I only downloaded your Mod a few days ago.

Let me know if I can provide any more information to help. Thanks again for all your hard work on this incredible mod!

It's a bug in map generation, primarily on the Terra mapscript. The resource is being placed and afterwards some forests are being removed for some reason, leaving the Prime Timber on clear terrain. The improvement/chopping code assumes this isn't possible and thus the resource gets destroyed as it thinks you cleared the forest deliberately.

I haven't looked for the issue yet but it should be a relatively easy fix once found. Thanks for the reminder.

Here it is!

I have to say that it was really interesting to play a game where you could practically research anything. AI seemed to be much smarter tech-wise this way but it surely wasn't realistic at all.

Ok. Now I feel totally stupid. For all this time I never realised that my CD didn't have 3.19 version inside. I just clicked "check for updates" and everything works like a charm. Sorry Xyth that I wasted your time for something like this... :blush:

Ok. Now I feel totally stupid. For all this time I never realised that my CD didn't have 3.19 version inside. I just clicked "check for updates" and everything works like a charm. Sorry Xyth that I wasted your time for something like this... :blush:

No worries, glad it's solved!

First of all I would like to thank Xyth and the many contributors for this absolutely exceptional mod.

I'm not really an "old hand" at Civ IV and have only played History Rewritten a couple of times. But I can't begin to tell you how often during play I've said to myself "Ahh... I see why they did THIS!" Reading through some of your development threads I appreciate the extensive work, dicussion and decision making that has gone into this mod. History Rewritten seems so very well thought out... simply because it is. It will surely replace the core BTS game completely for me even though this will eliminate the relevancy of pretty much all of the strategy and gameplay discussion on the forum. It's just that good.

I seem to be running into a glitch which I won't call a bug since I've enabled public maps and this may be my doing. That was before I read that some of the more popular map scripts had been modified for HR so I might change that back to the default. So just to let you know upfront this may be more my issue than a project thing but I thought I'd pass it along just the same in case it points to a deeper issue. Enabling public maps is the only change I've made to the default HW install.

I seem to be having trouble building roads. In my last game I noticed I wasn't able to build a road on an improved resource (like pasture) right away but if I had my worker go do something else then return to the tile I would have the option to build the road. It appeared to be delayed at least 2 turns so I thought this may have been an intentional change and didn't think much of it. Roads build on non-resource improved tiles had no delay. The mapscript being used was PerfectWorld2Forest_DCM (I might have some saves of it).

Now in my current game I find I'm not able to build roads at all. Attached is a screenshot along with the saved game. Unfortunately I do not have logging curently enabled and probably should if I'm going to play a mod exclusively. But I have saved the game a couple times now from the start. For info completeness sake I am running Civ IV Complete, DVD install with Wine under Linux but I haven't run into any gameplay issues whatsoever up to this point (which includes BAT 3.0 and then the K-Mod quite extensively). BTS is patched to 3.19 w/unofficial patch 1.6. HW itself is 1.18 and I believe the map script being used here is Fractal. I'm somewhat amazed at just how "generous" this start is after playing the (resource lean) PerfectWorld2 maps for a while.

Anyway, don't know if this is anything other than an FYI. And more importanly, a well deserved thank you from an appreciative user. ~Linux0s.

Attachments

• Mikey I BC-1550.jpg
    Mikey I BC-1550.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 204
  • Mikey I BC-1550.CivBeyondSwordSave.zip
    77 KB · Views: 156
First of all I would like to thank Xyth and the many contributors for this absolutely exceptional mod.

I'm not really an "old hand" at Civ IV and have only played History Rewritten a couple of times. But I can't begin to tell you how often during play I've said to myself "Ahh... I see why they did THIS!" Reading through some of your development threads I appreciate the extensive work, dicussion and decision making that has gone into this mod. History Rewritten seems so very well thought out... simply because it is. It will surely replace the core BTS game completely for me even though this will eliminate the relevancy of pretty much all of the strategy and gameplay discussion on the forum. It's just that good.

Thank you!!

I seem to be running into a glitch which I won't call a bug since I've enabled public maps and this may be my doing. That was before I read that some of the more popular map scripts had been modified for HR so I might change that back to the default. So just to let you know upfront this may be more my issue than a project thing but I thought I'd pass it along just the same in case it points to a deeper issue. Enabling public maps is the only change I've made to the default HW install.

Most mapscripts should work but the new terrain types won't appear, or might appear in unintended places. A few other features (notably culturally-linked starts) aren't supported on external mapscripts either. There's otherwise no harm in enabling public maps though.

I seem to be having trouble building roads. In my last game I noticed I wasn't able to build a road on an improved resource (like pasture) right away but if I had my worker go do something else then return to the tile I would have the option to build the road. It appeared to be delayed at least 2 turns so I thought this may have been an intentional change and didn't think much of it. Roads build on non-resource improved tiles had no delay. The mapscript being used was PerfectWorld2Forest_DCM (I might have some saves of it).

Now in my current game I find I'm not able to build roads at all. Attached is a screenshot along with the saved game. Unfortunately I do not have logging curently enabled and probably should if I'm going to play a mod exclusively. But I have saved the game a couple times now from the start.

I'm unable to load your saved game, not quite sure why but I suspect its because you're using the Unofficial Patch and I'm not (the DLL component doesn't work on Mac, the Python and XML components are merged into HR already).

However, from your screenshot I see the problem: in HR, routes have a small one-off cost to build (1-3:gold:) and your treasury is empty. This is not documented in the Civilopedia yet (something I need to remedy), but it should appear in the tooltip for the worker action.

HW itself is 1.18 and I believe the map script being used here is Fractal. I'm somewhat amazed at just how "generous" this start is after playing the (resource lean) PerfectWorld2 maps for a while.

HR has a lot of new resources so certain maps can end up being quite resource rich. It's something I'm continually tweaking, I don't feel the balance is quite right yet, at least on some mapscripts.

Incidentally, HR's 'World' mapscript is a modified PerfectWorld2, adjusted for HR's new terrain, resources, and such.

I delayed installing 1.18 for a long time because I was trying to slowly finish a game in 1.17. Of all the obvious bugs people have found since it was created, have they all been incorporated into the download? Or will I need to hunt through the thread and apply individual patches to any problems?

I delayed installing 1.18 for a long time because I was trying to slowly finish a game in 1.17. Of all the obvious bugs people have found since it was created, have they all been incorporated into the download? Or will I need to hunt through the thread and apply individual patches to any problems?

Aside from a few minor or cosmetic bugs that took longer to find, everything's been incorporated into the 1.18 download. No need to apply any patches.

Speaking of cosmetic bugs (since as far as I could tell it didn't seem to actually effect anything), I just got the following after whipping a Zoroastrian temple:

"Couldn't find string ASD2_BUILD_ZOROASTRIANISM of TagId3"

I don't think I got this message after hard building one in my capital (but I may have just not noticed). I'm playing as Charismatic / Imperialist Cyrus of Persia.

I'm not sure if it's related, but religion / event sounds had stopped playing the turn before (as reported previously).

Xyth, thanks for the explanation about the prime timber on hills.

One more odd thing that might be a bug: I've conquered a city and one of the farms adjacent to it was destroyed but now I can't build another farm on the same tile to replace it. There is an aqueduct that was built by the AI before I conquered the city, but it doesn't seem to be providing irrigation to the surrounding tiles (there isn't a river/lake anywhere nearby).

Yes, I've noticed that as well. The Reservoir under the city never seems to survive conquest even when the aqueduct is captured.

A brute force workaround is to go into the world editor, delete the aqueduct from the city, and build a new one yourself in-game.

Speaking of cosmetic bugs (since as far as I could tell it didn't seem to actually effect anything), I just got the following after whipping a Zoroastrian temple:

"Couldn't find string ASD2_BUILD_ZOROASTRIANISM of TagId3"

I don't think I got this message after hard building one in my capital (but I may have just not noticed). I'm playing as Charismatic / Imperialist Cyrus of Persia.

I'm not sure if it's related, but religion / event sounds had stopped playing the turn before (as reported previously).

Ah, useful error message. Fixed for 1.19. If you want to fix it yourself for 1.18, go to the file CIV4BuildingInfos.xml, search for occurrences of the above string and remove the last 3 letters from it (the 'ISM'). Let me know if it has any effect on the sound issue you've been having.

One more odd thing that might be a bug: I've conquered a city and one of the farms adjacent to it was destroyed but now I can't build another farm on the same tile to replace it. There is an aqueduct that was built by the AI before I conquered the city, but it doesn't seem to be providing irrigation to the surrounding tiles (there isn't a river/lake anywhere nearby).

Yes, I've noticed that as well. The Reservoir under the city never seems to survive conquest even when the aqueduct is captured.

A brute force workaround is to go into the world editor, delete the aqueduct from the city, and build a new one yourself in-game.

Hmm, the Reservoir feature must be getting wiped on conquest, despite the Aqueduct being set to have a 100% chance of capture. That'll will require some additional coding, I'll get it fixed for 1.19.

Ah, useful error message. Fixed for 1.19. If you want to fix it yourself for 1.18, go to the file CIV4BuildingInfos.xml, search for occurrences of the above string and remove the last 3 letters from it (the 'ISM'). Let me know if it has any effect on the sound issue you've been having.

Fixed, religion sound now plays on building (as long as the 'no event sounds' issue hasn't hit yet). Still no improvement on said issue.

Well, I just encountered a strange glitch with the Olympic Games. They went to Frankfurt (I think 500 BC) and - on Odyssey - are still here at 672 AD.
That's bad enough, but they were in Lisbon before Frankfurt, and Lisbon has three shrines. Why couldn't they get stuck there?

Edit: They're still going from city to city. It's just that they're not leaving Frankfurt.

Well, I just encountered a strange glitch with the Olympic Games. They went to Frankfurt (I think 500 BC) and - on Odyssey - are still here at 672 AD.
That's bad enough, but they were in Lisbon before Frankfurt, and Lisbon has three shrines. Why couldn't they get stuck there?

Edit: They're still going from city to city. It's just that they're not leaving Frankfurt.

Bah, I thought I'd squashed that bug. Sounds like it's half fixed at least. Looking into it.

Glad to hear that the captured aqueducts will continue to provide irrigation in 1.19

Hate to add another thing to your to-do list, but maybe this was intentional. It seems that highways don't give mines the same +1 hammer production as railroads, but once highways are available, they become the default route for laborers (OPT key + R) or what the AI build over railroads.

Now I understand how railroads are different from highways in real life and so the bonus makes sense, but it's kind of a pain to have to micromanage every tile the laborer works based on which bonus is best and to keep from building highways over the railroads on mines. Furthermore, there is nothing a player can do if the AI decides to build highways through your own territory—ie. you have open borders with the AI—and thus erase the railroads and their production bonus on mines.

I'm not sure exactly what the best way to get around this is, but I thought it was at least worth highlighting for discussion.

This mod continues to awe me with each iteration. The new corps, recently added civs and resources, and modifications to the road/rail/highway system are great.

However, in the current version I have been experiencing more crashes and pink sphere/red sphere units than usual. This is my most recent crash report: (I'm playing with the audio turned off in the .ini file and unpacked units, structures, and terrains as you suggest for OSX users)

Spoiler :
Process: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword [276]
Path: /Game Junk/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword.app/Contents/MacOS/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword
Identifier: com.aspyr.civ4bts
Version: 3.19 (92131)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [122]

Date/Time: 2012-08-18 14:35:08.460 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 256311 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 7
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 40063 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 7
Anonymous UUID: C602D3E7-48AE-45F5-A16D-89DE2DE34086

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000054
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 com.aspyr.civ4bts 0x00b0eea1 CvTextureCompositor::CreateCityProductionIcon(char const*) + 275
1 com.aspyr.civ4bts 0x00aa92b9 CvCityBillboardEntity::configureProductionSymbol() + 55
2 com.aspyr.civ4bts 0x00aa9b30 CvCityBillboardEntity::updateInfo() + 1144
3 com.aspyr.civ4bts 0x00c12523 CvCityEntity::updateInfo() + 25
4 com.aspyr.civ4bts 0x00b45173 CvInterface::updatePlayer(PlayerTypes) + 133
5 com.aspyr.civ4bts 0x00b4e59b CvInterface::update() + 1199
6 com.aspyr.civ4bts 0x00b4b989 CvInterface::redraw() + 55
7 com.aspyr.civ4bts 0x00a91fa3 CvApp::OnIdle() + 1481
8 com.aspyr.civ4bts 0x0066ea41 FWinApp::Run() + 31
9 com.aspyr.civ4bts 0x00b1ee52 WinMain + 50
10 com.aspyr.civ4bts 0x000a7f99 sEventLoopEventHandler(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*, OpaqueEventRef*, void*) + 111
11 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x96ea5c2f DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 1567
12 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x96ea4ef6 SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 411
13 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x96ea4d55 SendEventToEventTargetWithOptions + 58
14 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x96ed9a24 ToolboxEventDispatcherHandler(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*, OpaqueEventRef*, void*) + 3006
15 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x96ea6080 DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 2672
16 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x96ea4ef6 SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 411
17 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x96ec77f3 SendEventToEventTarget + 52
18 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x97050c17 ToolboxEventDispatcher + 86
19 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x97050d4f RunApplicationEventLoop + 243
20 com.aspyr.civ4bts 0x000a8052 InstallEventsAndRunGameLoop() + 166
21 com.aspyr.civ4bts 0x000a83ea main + 356
22 com.aspyr.civ4bts 0x00002642 _start + 216
23 com.aspyr.civ4bts 0x00002569 start + 41

Thread 1: Dispatch queue: com.apple.libdispatch-manager
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9575f382 kevent + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9575fa9c _dispatch_mgr_invoke + 215
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9575ef59 _dispatch_queue_invoke + 163
3 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9575ecfe _dispatch_worker_thread2 + 240
4 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9575e781 _pthread_wqthread + 390
5 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9575e5c6 start_wqthread + 30

Thread 2:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x95738b5a semaphore_timedwait_signal_trap + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x957666e1 _pthread_cond_wait + 1066
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x957955a8 pthread_cond_timedwait_relative_np + 47
3 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x95cd0b90 TSWaitOnConditionTimedRelative + 242
4 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x95cd08ce TSWaitOnSemaphoreCommon + 511
5 ...ickTimeComponents.component 0x93259965 ReadSchedulerThreadEntryPoint + 4698
6 libSystem.B.dylib 0x95766259 _pthread_start + 345
7 libSystem.B.dylib 0x957660de thread_start + 34

Thread 3:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x95766aa2 __semwait_signal + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9576675e _pthread_cond_wait + 1191
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x957683f8 pthread_cond_wait$UNIX2003 + 73
3 GLEngine 0x6bceb392 gleCmdProcessorPTHREAD + 186
4 libSystem.B.dylib 0x95766259 _pthread_start + 345
5 libSystem.B.dylib 0x957660de thread_start + 34

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
eax: 0x00000000 ebx: 0xbfffeda0 ecx: 0x41573090 edx: 0x00000000
edi: 0x3d4ccccd esi: 0x3e800000 ebp: 0xbfffede8 esp: 0xbfffe2d0
ss: 0x0000001f efl: 0x00010246 eip: 0x00b0eea1 cs: 0x00000017
ds: 0x0000001f es: 0x0000001f fs: 0x00000000 gs: 0x00000037
cr2: 0x00000054

Hate to add another thing to your to-do list, but maybe this was intentional. It seems that highways don't give mines the same +1 hammer production as railroads, but once highways are available, they become the default route for laborers (OPT key + R) or what the AI build over railroads.

Now I understand how railroads are different from highways in real life and so the bonus makes sense, but it's kind of a pain to have to micromanage every tile the laborer works based on which bonus is best and to keep from building highways over the railroads on mines. Furthermore, there is nothing a player can do if the AI decides to build highways through your own territory—ie. you have open borders with the AI—and thus erase the railroads and their production bonus on mines.

I'm not sure exactly what the best way to get around this is, but I thought it was at least worth highlighting for discussion.

I'm looking into solutions for this. I want both to be buildable and able to replace each other once they're unlocked.

However, in the current version I have been experiencing more crashes and pink sphere/red sphere units than usual. This is my most recent crash report: (I'm playing with the audio turned off in the .ini file and unpacked units, structures, and terrains as you suggest for OSX users)

The crash is caused by a missing icon for a unit or building. Red Spheres and Pink Textures are caused by missing models and textures, respectively. This strongly suggests that something didn't go right when you unpacked the FPK files.

The file structure has changed a little over the last couple versions. With all the FPKs unpacked there should be 12 folders in /History Rewritten/Assets/Art/:

• BUG
• Effects
• Interface
• Leaderheads
• Movies
• PlotListEnhancements
• Shared
• Structures
• Terrain
• Units
• Units (Civilizations)
• Units (Shared)​

Check that none of those have been placed inside each other or left in /History Rewritten/Assets/. Incidentally, it's not worth unpacking HR_Terrain.fpk - in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it's more efficient to leave it packed.

I've been watching how this works in my HR1.18 games. It takes so long for rates to rise from 3-1 to 2-1 that I've only ever really seen 3-1 rates.

As the human player, I can see that the yield from a 3-1 rate is very poor and only ever use it when desperate to bootstrap myself out of a hole after overconquering (often towards Currency around 500BC). However, I've seen the 3-1 rate :hammers: to :science: widely used by the AI (across multiple cities, and not in particular times of need), and I believe that this cripples the AI. They waste hammers on a futile struggle to compete in research where they should be using those hammers to build an army to defend against the rapacious human player. ;)

In the light of this, I feel that it would be better to simply omit the 3-1 level and use its activation technologies to replace those of the 2-1 level. That is:

Build %|Wealth|Research|Culture|Espionage
50%|Property|Writing|Aesthetics|Paper
100%|Corporation|Sci. Method|Sociology|Radio

Do others have the same observations? Opinions?

(Copied from the 1.17 thread)

I would like more feedback on this.

I think I just found a nasty error in the BUG dotmap function (which might be entirely internal to BUG, or might be caused by some interaction with HR). If you click on one of the palette's 'empty' color blocks, the applicator changes from a BFC shape to a single tile square. If you then click on a tile, the dotmap locks and trying to close it results in the following error message:

"Error in kbdEvent event handler <bound method BugEventManager.onKbdEvent of <BugEventManager.BugEventManager instance at [alphanumeric string that I think ID's the tile clicked on]>>"

On an unrelated topic, is it possible to change the default hotkeys? Specifically, is it possible to change the screenshot hotkey from "Print Screen" to something that actually exists on my keyboard? If so, how?

Top Bottom