1.23 Released!

Does this re-occur when you reload the game? If so, please post the saved game and your logs folder.
No, the game progressed just fine after I quit and reloaded. Given that the very first error message was about Memory, I suspect I had just been playing too long.

A few sessions later I had a similar problem: the movie for the Apostolic Palace didn't load properly (it was just a static technicolor hash, though the sounds played correctly and at the end the overlay with the Wonder's effects displayed normally). After I quit and reloaded from the previous auto-save, the movie played without problem.

No, the game progressed just fine after I quit and reloaded. Given that the very first error message was about Memory, I suspect I had just been playing too long.

It's a Python memory error, not a usual MAF, and I've had it reported once before, in the exact same function (setCityFaith). So something suspicious is going on, but it seems it's only ever a problem when an actual MAF is looming anyway. It's occurring on a very innocuous line of code, so I'm utterly baffled as to what the problem might be.

A few sessions later I had a similar problem: the movie for the Apostolic Palace didn't load properly (it was just a static technicolor hash, though the sounds played correctly and at the end the overlay with the Wonder's effects displayed normally). After I quit and reloaded from the previous auto-save, the movie played without problem.

Yeah, I've had this happen with wonder or religion movies occasionally too. Probably memory related, and something I can't do anything about.

Playing as the Hittites, there seems to be an error with their Unique Wonder (Puruli). The Pedia has it listed as a replacement for the National Festival, but the tech tree lists it as a replacement for the Military Academy (see screenshots). I was able to build the Military Academy, but I am able to build neither the National Festival nor the Puruli.

Attachments

• Puruli-1.jpg
    Puruli-1.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Puruli-2.jpg
    Puruli-2.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Puruli-3.jpg
    Puruli-3.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 164
Playing as the Hittites, there seems to be an error with their Unique Wonder (Puruli). The Pedia has it listed as a replacement for the National Festival, but the tech tree lists it as a replacement for the Military Academy (see screenshots). I was able to build the Military Academy, but I am able to build neither the National Festival nor the Puruli.

It's meant to be a National Festival replacement, but I accidentally left its former Military Academy definition in as well. Will be fixed for next release. Thanks for the report.

''A Reformation of Olympianism has occurred in the Mongolian Civilization, influencing worshippers in your civilization to embrace new tenets!''

But I am the Mongolians. The Reformation occurred in a neighbouring civ. This looks like a simple text-generating bug.

''A Reformation of Olympianism has occurred in the Mongolian Civilization, influencing worshippers in your civilization to embrace new tenets!''

But I am the Mongolians. The Reformation occurred in a neighbouring civ. This looks like a simple text-generating bug.

Fixed, thanks.

I'm having a problem with the humanism faith tenant. I am able to select it now, but when I do the game crashes once I hit "reformation". Has anyone experienced something similar?

I'm having a problem with the humanism faith tenant. I am able to select it now, but when I do the game crashes once I hit "reformation". Has anyone experienced something similar?

Please post your crash log and a saved game and I'll take a look.

Hi Xyth,

what's going to take place in the new release? the new espionage mechanics, some changes on civics... ?

thanks!

Hi Xyth,

what's going to take place in the new release? the new espionage mechanics, some changes on civics... ?

thanks!

I don't have any set goals for 1.24, at this stage I'm just going over the todo list and trying to cross of a number of small and medium items. There aren't any new espionage mechanics really, just a few minor things to support the new advisor screen. I will do a bit more civics tuning, but I haven't started that yet.

I still want to add organised crime, so that will be in if I can get it implemented satisfactorily. Still need to finish the building art review too (generic city buildings were done in 1.23.2, now need to go over all the specific buildings). I don't intend to add any new civs at the moment, but I will be adding new leaders. Aelfred has been added to England and their city naming has been overhauled. Boudica's too. Might try get the rest of the Celtic cities sorted too. Currently in the process of adding a 3rd leader to the Aztecs.

I don't have any set goals for 1.24, at this stage I'm just going over the todo list and trying to cross of a number of small and medium items. There aren't any new espionage mechanics really, just a few minor things to support the new advisor screen. I will do a bit more civics tuning, but I haven't started that yet.

Thanks for 1.23! I've tried playing with un-nerfd Dissent, but still have the same issues with Dissent that I had a year ago. The threat of Civil War is not so much a challenge, it's just not fun.

The risk of empire-wide Civil War means that Conquest really isn't playable anymore. What's the point of being Genghis Khan with a horde of Kheshiks that could conquer the entire remaining landmass if you can't hold any cities because of reaching a Dissent cap? The only winning strategy is then genocide --- conquer and raze all other cities without expansion, and live off the pillaged profits for a while. (OK, that's somewhat historical for Genghis Khan, but the issue also holds for Gandhi.) Yuck!

I humbly request a 'No Dissent' button, perhaps implemented in the same manner as the 'Fewer Religions' button.

Who is (s)he?

Atlatl Cauac (Spearthrower Owl, Jatz'om Kuh), the only known ruler of Teotihuacan. Still deciding which name is best to use. With him, we'll have the 3 major periods of Aztec/Nahua civilization covered: Teotihuacan, the Toltec (Topiltzen), and the Mexica (Montezuma).

I'm also having another think about whether to add Benito Juarez as well. I had some serious reservations about it (Zapotec not Aztec/Nahua, nature of Spanish conquest) but it would be good to have colonial Mexico represented. Still unsure.

Thanks for 1.23! I've tried playing with un-nerfd Dissent, but still have the same issues with Dissent that I had a year ago. The threat of Civil War is not so much a challenge, it's just not fun.

The risk of empire-wide Civil War means that Conquest really isn't playable anymore. What's the point of being Genghis Khan with a horde of Kheshiks that could conquer the entire remaining landmass if you can't hold any cities because of reaching a Dissent cap? The only winning strategy is then genocide --- conquer and raze all other cities without expansion, and live off the pillaged profits for a while. (OK, that's somewhat historical for Genghis Khan, but the issue also holds for Gandhi.) Yuck!

You can still conquer large empires. You just have to consolidate and develop your conquests or they will split apart. Just like Genghis Khan's empire did. Remember that allowing small civil wars to happen helps prevent large ones.

For 1.24 I want to improve the way dissent scales with difficulty. The high difficulty levels are about right, but I think the lower ones are too punitive.

I humbly request a 'No Dissent' button, perhaps implemented in the same manner as the 'Fewer Religions' button.

I can't actually add new custom game options like that. 'Fewer Religions' was an exception because it replaced 'Choose Religion', which had become obsolete. Regardless though, I don't intend to add an in-game way of disabling dissent. You're welcome to modify CivilWar.py to adjust or disable it yourself though. All the relevant values are labelled near the top of the file.

Re Colonial Mexico. I think this would be far better as a distinct Civ, like Brazil and the United States.

Edit: given the intention to introduce organised crime, perhaps a Mexican UU or UB could relate to the ongoing Cartel problem?

You can still conquer large empires. You just have to consolidate and develop your conquests or they will split apart. Just like Genghis Khan's empire did. Remember that allowing small civil wars to happen helps prevent large ones.

I tried this out on a Noble, Huge Earth Scenario Map as Genghis Khan of the Mongols in their historical location. Genghis initially built a Classical empire of 20 cities. At this point, without any Dissent-reducing buildings, the Dissent from pretty much any choice of civics was negligible. Genghis then entered a Medieval Great Golden Age, and expanded by conquest and settlement to 43 cities.

It is very satisfying to use a Golden Age for a rapid expansion, although it seems weird that Dissent goes from 0 to enormous at the end of a Golden Age. Everybody was completely content for a very long time and then everybody instantly became discontented. The no-Dissent-during-a-Golden-Age benefit has the side-effect that it is not really possible to see what Dissent will be until the Golden Age is over. Perhaps this benefit should be removed.

At the end of the Golden Age, the empire is stuck. We still have no Dissent-reducing buildings available. Dissent means that the only viable civics are the most basic, Iron Age ones. Using more advanced civics makes Dissent rise so fast in all cities that empire-wide Civil War quickly ensues, and even if all the rebels can be clobbered and the Dissent clock is reset, it will all happen again soon. Genghis' problem is not a little provincial Civil War, but an empire-wide one that will quickly recur.

But there is nothing wrong with the empire except that it is very successful. It is powerful and could easily eat its rivals. All its cities are very very happy (net 10-26 Happy faces) and very very Healthy (net 9-25 Healthy faces), but these factors contribute little to suppressing Dissent, especially when compared to the negative effects of a second religion. What's not to like about being Mongol? We even pumped up our rivals' Dissent by exporting religion to them so that un-Happy-ness contributes to Civil War splitting them up. And they are half our size! We can make them even more miserable by exporting other religions to them and there is nothing that they can do about it. We know for certain that they are miserable because we can look right into their cities.

Apart from conquest, Genghis looks left and right and sees many great locations for settling new cities right next to the empire's existing boundaries. There is plenty of unsettled land. But nope, expansion is impossible. We just have to let that land lie fallow, for centuries. Geography means that most of it won't become occupied by other civilizations. (So when in history has accessible fertile land not been colonised by somebody?)

Without resorting to genocide, the game is now a long clickthrough until some technologies unlock buildings to reduce Dissent. But, even after we build these buildings, at each stage, the problem begins again, just notched up in scale a little. There is, at each technological level, a cap on empire size.

This isn't fun because there is no strategy involved. Happy and Health caps work well because there are usually other play-choices than letting a city grow, and because the player can make strategic choices to address the caps. For instance, why can't Genghis address Dissent with larger garrisons? He's more than willing to pay the soldiers their worth! He would be willing to pay City Watch or Spy or Police or Secret Police units if they suppressed Dissent.

I have attached a Save of the situation at 704CE, with 43 cities, 2 turns before the end of a Golden Age. I would appreciate it if anyone could play it through and suggest alternatives to me on how to continue.

I can't actually add new custom game options like that. 'Fewer Religions' was an exception because it replaced 'Choose Religion', which had become obsolete.

Doesn't the list containing "Choose Religion" contain other options that could be replaced? A particularly ahistorical example is "One-City Challenge". Anybody who wants to play with just one city can surely just use self-control to do so.

You're welcome to modify CivilWar.py to adjust or disable it yourself though. All the relevant values are labelled near the top of the file.

I have previously nerfed Dissent doing precisely this. Doing so currently seems to generate a slew of Python warnings at the beginning of each turn. (OK, maybe that's my ignorance of Python.) The warnings make the screen hard to see but I don't know whether they mean anything serious.

This solution is also unsatisfactory in that it needs to be reimplemented with each new version, and I can't easily remember the settings at each point. Is it possible to embed a Dissent-strength slider as a parameter in that CivilWar.py code? Say, define a real number multiplier between 0 and 1 for the strength of Dissent from none to full in CivilWar.py?

Attachments

• Eucalyptus CE-0704.CivBeyondSwordSave
    664 KB · Views: 71
Doesn't the list containing "Choose Religion" contain other options that could be replaced? A particularly ahistorical example is "One-City Challenge". Anybody who wants to play with just one city can surely just use self-control to do so.

OCC also enables National Wonders to be built with just one prerequisite building and raises the number of NWs allowed, it's a very different play mode.

Re Colonial Mexico. I think this would be far better as a distinct Civ, like Brazil and the United States.

Edit: given the intention to introduce organised crime, perhaps a Mexican UU or UB could relate to the ongoing Cartel problem?

I don't wish to add colonial Mexico as a civilization, it doesn't meet the criteria of what I consider to be a civilization, at least for HR. Neither does America, but no-one will let me remove it :p. Brazil is an exception because there is significant ethnic continuity that is unusual among colonial civilizations and it filled a large geographical gap.

I tried this out on a Noble, Huge Earth Scenario Map as Genghis Khan of the Mongols in their historical location. Genghis initially built a Classical empire of 20 cities. At this point, without any Dissent-reducing buildings, the Dissent from pretty much any choice of civics was negligible. Genghis then entered a Medieval Great Golden Age, and expanded by conquest and settlement to 43 cities.

It is very satisfying to use a Golden Age for a rapid expansion, although it seems weird that Dissent goes from 0 to enormous at the end of a Golden Age. Everybody was completely content for a very long time and then everybody instantly became discontented. The no-Dissent-during-a-Golden-Age benefit has the side-effect that it is not really possible to see what Dissent will be until the Golden Age is over. Perhaps this benefit should be removed.

At the end of the Golden Age, the empire is stuck. We still have no Dissent-reducing buildings available. Dissent means that the only viable civics are the most basic, Iron Age ones. Using more advanced civics makes Dissent rise so fast in all cities that empire-wide Civil War quickly ensues, and even if all the rebels can be clobbered and the Dissent clock is reset, it will all happen again soon. Genghis' problem is not a little provincial Civil War, but an empire-wide one that will quickly recur.

But there is nothing wrong with the empire except that it is very successful. It is powerful and could easily eat its rivals. All its cities are very very happy (net 10-26 Happy faces) and very very Healthy (net 9-25 Healthy faces), but these factors contribute little to suppressing Dissent, especially when compared to the negative effects of a second religion. What's not to like about being Mongol? We even pumped up our rivals' Dissent by exporting religion to them so that un-Happy-ness contributes to Civil War splitting them up. And they are half our size! We can make them even more miserable by exporting other religions to them and there is nothing that they can do about it. We know for certain that they are miserable because we can look right into their cities.

Apart from conquest, Genghis looks left and right and sees many great locations for settling new cities right next to the empire's existing boundaries. There is plenty of unsettled land. But nope, expansion is impossible. We just have to let that land lie fallow, for centuries. Geography means that most of it won't become occupied by other civilizations. (So when in history has accessible fertile land not been colonised by somebody?)

Without resorting to genocide, the game is now a long clickthrough until some technologies unlock buildings to reduce Dissent. But, even after we build these buildings, at each stage, the problem begins again, just notched up in scale a little. There is, at each technological level, a cap on empire size.

This isn't fun because there is no strategy involved. Happy and Health caps work well because there are usually other play-choices than letting a city grow, and because the player can make strategic choices to address the caps.

For instance, why can't Genghis address Dissent with larger garrisons? He's more than willing to pay the soldiers their worth! He would be willing to pay City Watch or Spy or Police or Secret Police units if they suppressed Dissent.

Feedback noted. I'm working on some changes and adjustments at the moment, and I'll let you know what I come up with.

This solution is also unsatisfactory in that it needs to be reimplemented with each new version, and I can't easily remember the settings at each point. Is it possible to embed a Dissent-strength slider as a parameter in that CivilWar.py code? Say, define a real number multiplier between 0 and 1 for the strength of Dissent from none to full in CivilWar.py?

Yeah, I can add something like that.

OCC also enables National Wonders to be built with just one prerequisite building and raises the number of NWs allowed, it's a very different play mode.

I can't replace an option unless I can disable or bypass its functionality in the code as well.

I have attached a Save of the situation at 704CE, with 43 cities, 2 turns before the end of a Golden Age. I would appreciate it if anyone could play it through and suggest alternatives to me on how to continue.

Are you sure you attached it? I'm not seeing it.

Neither.

Hello, I recently discovered your mod, and I am amazed by the amount of work you have done :bowdown:

Can you please help me with this neverending turn, occuring right after hitting End of turn?

PS: if you need a log, please leave a detailed list of instructions how do I do that, because I am a complete technical noob.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Neverending Turn.CivBeyondSwordSave
    836.7 KB · Views: 83
Hello, I recently discovered your mod, and I am amazed by the amount of work you have done :bowdown:

Can you please help me with this neverending turn, occuring right after hitting End of turn?

PS: if you need a log, please leave a detailed list of instructions how do I do that, because I am a complete technical noob.

Thank you!

Hit Ctrl-C and it will force the stuck AI player to finish its moves. More info, from the Troubleshooting thread:

• Game is "Waiting for Other Civilizations" permanently, control is never passed back to the player

There is a nasty bug that can cause a unit to get stuck in an endless cycle of joining/leaving a unit group. This can happen to any type of unit but it seems to be more common with Naval units, especially those with hidden nationality, or those with cargo passing through other units with cargo. This bug is present in unmodded BTS and unfortunately it cannot be completely eliminated. However, I've implemented a method to force a stuck AI player to stop moving its units: Press 'Ctrl-C' to trigger this (can be 'CMD-C' on OS X, depending on your settings).​

Top Bottom